Transformers repainting and modding thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T.W.G

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hi,

after seeing some realy great repainting jobs here in the forum I decided to open up a new thread for it as the >600 pages transformers thread is not that comfortable ;-)

Please post pictures of your repainted transformers figures AND tips how you did it, what colors to use etc.

Thanks

Great idea to open up a new thread for this!!! :rock

This is my first custom paint job ever.
I posted also in the "All Things Transformers" thread, so some of you may have seen them already :)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More pictures here:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/album.php?albumid=370

I got some tips and tricks from Magnuz for this.
I used acryllic paint, from the brand Citadel Colour Games Workshop.
I only used black for a base coat, then drybrushed silver over that to get the metal effect. I added some gold for detailing, but very little on this figure.

The silver effects when in vehicle mode, like the rims and lights are applied directly without a base coat.

Very nice work!

It's a shame from Hasbro when I see the origional plastik painting regarding the high price of the figures (60,- Euro).

But the custom painting etc. adds the the level of detail that should be there out of the box. It should look like a robot and not like plastic toy ;-)

Very nice work!

Thank you :)

It's a shame from Hasbro when I see the origional plastik painting regarding the high price of the figures (60,- Euro).

But the custom painting etc. adds the the level of detail that should be there out of the box. It should look like a robot and not like plastic toy ;-)

Yeah that's definitely true! That's the main reason for me to start customizing them. I like a bit of realism with my collectibles, but lately I was kinda annoyed because they looked so toy-like. I even took them of my shelves for a while, but then I saw some amazing customs here. They looked so much more lifelike and closer to the movie, that really inspired me to try it myself.

Dude, I have a piece of advise. USE ENAMELS. They are what I've been using and they work wonderfully and give a much better finish than acrylics. They need more prep but yet give wonderful finish. I will post pics later.

Wow, that post came out wrong. Sorry, I am not hating on your work. It's just an idea is all.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm realy impressed!

I think it will be very difficult to paint especialy the small areas of the robots!?

I will try this for myself. I actually bought the Optimus Prime movie leader. In 2 weeks the Megatron Movie leader will follow. The figures are about 30cm high, does there exist a matching bumblebee in this size?

I didn't see your other robots here in Germany... hopefully they will be released, too!

Here's an action shot of the first custom Dubz did for me,a repainted Classics Cliffjumper,

cj.jpg

And his most recent,a ROTF Sideways,

sideways1.jpg

sideways3.jpg

Dude, is that Cliffjumper standing in the water??? That looks awesome :rock
Great picture!!!

The Sideways is really cool too! It looks way better than that ugly red block Hasbro uses for his torso!

Very nice customs man!!!

Dude, is that Cliffjumper standing in the water??? That looks awesome :rock
Great picture!!!

The Sideways is really cool too! It looks way better than that ugly red block Hasbro uses for his torso!

Very nice customs man!!!

Yep! there's no trickery involved, I had to be careful exactly where I placed CJ as the pond is quite deep but I'm pleased with how it came out as it looks like he's exploring a jungle or swamp planet.

It's a testament to the quality of the paintjob that I was able to remove it from the pond and all it needed was a quick wipe to get the gunge off and it was like it'd never been in there.

Sideways is one of those that comes to life once a decent paintjob is applied and things that looked a bit dodgy on the stock version such as the tiny feet all of sudden seem right and the shine on the finish is especially noticeable in car mode.

Yep! there's no trickery involved, I had to be careful exactly where I placed CJ as the pond is quite deep but I'm pleased with how it came out as it looks like he's exploring a jungle or swamp planet.

It's a testament to the quality of the paintjob that I was able to remove it from the pond and all it needed was a quick wipe to get the gunge off and it was like it'd never been in there.

Sideways is one of those that comes to life once a decent paintjob is applied and things that looked a bit dodgy on the stock version such as the tiny feet all of sudden seem right and the shine on the finish is especially noticeable in car mode.

I was going to say why would you put something so cool in the water? :horror :D

That's exactly the vibe I got while watching that picture! Really awesome!!! :rock :rock :rock

That's exactly the vibe I got while watching that picture! Really awesome!!! :rock :rock :rock

Glad you like it :)

Every so often I get an idea for a pic that's a bit different and it doesn't always work but this one came out rather well.

Glad you like it :)

Every so often I get an idea for a pic that's a bit different and it doesn't always work but this one came out rather well.

Definitely!!!
I have a cool idea too, for the pictures of my next custom. I only have to wait untill a friend of mine comes over with his camera since mine is broken...

here's my friendds work ::banana:banana

Looking good dude!!! The detail on and around his eyes is awesome!!! :rock
Is it airbrushed?

It does look airbrushed. Also, I have a new custom int the works, I actually have around 6, but one that is almost finished and one that is half way done. Teasers later today.

Dino, the works look nice, but maybe the prices on ebay should be lowered.

Back