Toys McCoy Indiana Jones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigal326

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm the guy who wrote the Toys McCoy Indy review on MWCtoys.com! I've been collecting since I was very little, but have recently got into high end collectibles in the last few years. I'd just like to clarify some things on ol' Indy.

Yes, the figure is ten years old, and yes the pictures don't do it any justice. Still the Toys McCoy Indy is far superior to any 12" Indy we have gotten. I also own the SS version and the Hasbro version. There's absolutely no comparison. SS comes with a plastic gun while TM comes with a die cast one. SS comes with a plastic whip while TM comes with a braided leather one. I could go on all day. Also, the Ford sculpt looks way better in person. TM is just a beautiful figure and must be seen in person.

Anyway, I just thought I would speak my two cents. If anyone that owns a Toys McCoy Indy differs with me or you'd just like to discuss the figure, please reply!

:whip

Interesting.
I own a McCoys as well and the only thing superior imo over the Sideshow version was the shirt.
:gun

Its a cute toy for its day, but I would prefer the SS one, though if I could get the Toys Mccoy one for cheap I'd still get it.

I don't think this way of thinking is any different really than people who prefer the classic Chargers to the new ones. It's nostalgia.

Granted the McCoy Indy has a die cast pistol... but it is extremely oversized and inaccurate.. they may as well have given him a Luger... and while the whip is in fact braided leather.. which is a great idea.. the execution was oversized as well... I think the McCoy fedora is quite nice.. yes McCoy's paint is good, but the sculpt ?? ( if only we had sideshow's sculpt with McCoys paint apps !).. as stated above, the shirt on McCoy is quite nice.. the ball buttons on sideshow's killed it... McCoy is a cool collectible.. but one seriously dropping in value... ( at one time they fetched prices near 1k.. yet I have seen some in recent months go for as little as 300)

Granted the McCoy Indy has a die cast pistol... but it is extremely oversized and inaccurate.. they may as well have given him a Luger... and while the whip is in fact braided leather.. which is a great idea.. the execution was oversized as well... I think the McCoy fedora is quite nice.. yes McCoy's paint is good, but the sculpt ?? ( if only we had sideshow's sculpt with McCoys paint apps !).. as stated above, the shirt on McCoy is quite nice.. the ball buttons on sideshow's killed it... McCoy is a cool collectible.. but one seriously dropping in value... ( at one time they fetched prices near 1k.. yet I have seen some in recent months go for as little as 300)

Funny you should say that about the pistol - I was thinking of asking you if you wanted to make a holster to fit it! My Indy carries the McCoy, it just looks much more impressive. And I prefer your holsters to the McCoys holster.

I enjoyed my TMC Indy for many years, (and with a bunch of tweaking, I still do, sorta) but it's far from the best available... The whip is WAY out of scale, the bag strap is WAY out of scale, the jacket, due to the admirable but un-necessary attention to detailing is WAY out of scale (looks more like a down-filled winter parka!)(I won't even mention the ridiculous awful gigantic zipper, which I had to remove), the sculpt/shape of the hat is WAY wrong, the body is incredibly un-poseable/un-articulated... The decent (but not as good as SS) head-sculpt is it's only real saving grace in comparison to the new Indy's... The figure was good, even great in it's day, but it can't come even close to SS Indy.

It belongs in a museum!

I like this feedback!

Sure, the TM has some accesories that are a tad oversized, but the SS comes with many flaws itself.

First, the prometheus isn't that great. Indy looks like he's slouching and he feels REALLY loose. Especially his waist. I like the Buck better than the Prometheus (I'm gonna get hate for that)! Then the sculpt. I like the idea of the hat being attached to the head, but why is Indy's head so shiny? His eyes are also really glazed over and he looks like he's blushing. The whole figure just looks bad to me. Everything from the fake leather jacket to the flimsy body just screams cheap. I did however like the prototype pics of the SS Indy. I thought that was what I was getting when I bought him.

The TM is just so much nicer in terms of quality. And the whip and gun aren't that oversized either.

I've got both too. The head on the SS is of course much, much better (but for the crappy paint job!), but I still think that the TMC has the best accessories. That whip is a beauty! I guess that the TMC wins in terms of quality and the SS in terms of accuracy...

I've got both too. The head on the SS is of course much, much better (but for the crappy paint job!), but I still think that the TMC has the best accessories. That whip is a beauty! I guess that the TMC wins in terms of quality and the SS in terms of accuracy...

I think thats a good way to put it.

Last edited:
Alot of people disagreed with my review, not just you. I had to get up here and defend the figure.

I still stand behind my review.

Thats fine. But the problem is those reviews are mostly to let people know if its worth buying or not. The pros and cons. Now the problem with your review is....its perfect. I mean...nothing was bad. Which would lead me to believe there is too much bias.

I'll give an example. My favorite figure, the HT Celtic Predator. I love it so much. But theres a ton of issues...such as a not entirely accurate face mask, things not painted accurately, and some other stuff too. Its not perfect. But to me it is....but the review isnt about if I like it, it should be a fair assesment on the figure to let people know if its worth it.

No figure, nothing in fact is that good.

The TMC whip was oversized and the jacket was way too stiff.
The body was not easy to pose.
Good for its day but the day is gone.
The Ss version has Trevors superior likeness and great hat sculpt.
It also came with long desired move accurate glove hands, the weight of the fabric in the pants make for better drapping.
The color is also more accurate.
The gas mask bag is also more exacting in detail.

Back