Toht 12-inch Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the FULL text of Dusty's Response...

I can assure you that we try very hard to get production pics posted before processing begins. With 12-inch figures that is usually very possible, as the factories send those samples about 2-3 weeks before the production run arrives at the warehouse. We are expecting Toht samples (if they send them ahead of time) in about 2 weeks and have it on the list to be shot :duff

I believe that this has been explained before, but with the larger items (PFs, Busts, etc), they usually don't send a FINAL final production sample ahead of time - we just have to pull one out of the production run when it arrives at the warehouse to get photos of it... thus, unfortunately, that's usually after processing has begun. And, as we have seen, the pre-production samples that are not part of the final production run can sometimes differ from the final product (Moria Orc, etc), as those are usually very low-run samples that are sent for approvals. We gain NOTHING from the shipping charges - it all goes to pay for our accounts with FedEx and UPS. In fact, we lose more from returns, as we have to pay people to process them, etc. Thus, it's also in OUR best interest to post production samples as soon as we have them, which is what we try very hard to do. But we know that it can't always happen that way, which is why we stick by our return policy. I swear it's not a conspiracy! :duff

Seems as if we WON'T see Final Prod Pics of the ARK before processing.

I have trouble believing SSC Prod Team doesn't know about any changes made to it. And it irks me that they won't reveal them (if any) before processing begins :banghead

I don't know, sounds like we'll see Toht (and maybe the ark) in two weeks like she said at the top. The ark is an exclusive not a PF or bust.

Just in case, here's what I posted in the 'Ask Sideshow' thread...

Thanks for the update Dusty! Looking forward to the production pics of Toht.

Sounds like we may not see production pics of the Ark as it probably falls under the 'larger production items' banner. I'm sure most here will be fine if we DON'T get to see production pics of the ark (although we'd like to!) as long as it can be answered that the production item changed from the prototype in terms of the 'inaccuracies' that needed tweaking (pattern on the fabric on the poles, shape of the feet, etc.)

Just wondering if we can AT LEAST find out from the development team if some of those tweaks were addressed before production.

Thanks again Dusty. You're doing a STELLAR job! :duff

So, No-one in China has a camera? Why Can't SSC simply ask the China Factory Production Team to show pics of the Final Prod piece before it is packed for shipping? How does SSC approve of a Final Prod Piece without knowing what it looks like? This rationale makes no sense to me....

After shipping, this is going to cost me around $190. I'd like to at least see the productions pics first to make sure it's going to be worth it. I'm afraid I might have to drop the Ark and go with just Toht.

I also understood it that Toht and the Ark would arrive in 2 weeks and that the Ark is not considered a PF. Dusty was trying to reassure us that we would be getting new photos before they ship out.

However, I'm sure the Sideshow folks are aware if the Ark was changed or not in the time since the proto pictures were taken. They just haven't shared with us whether they chose to revise the piece or not.

...However, I'm sure the Sideshow folks are aware if the Ark was changed or not in the time since the proto pictures were taken. They just haven't shared with us whether they chose to revise the piece or not.

Exactly. I don't personally need to see pics if that's going to be a problem...just want the answer as to whether 'refinements' were made for the sake of accuracy. :angelsmil

Hope we don't have to send this to Les for a repaint and get Ryan to make the proper fabric print to make it accurate. :naughty

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that people will need to send this to Les for a repaint - SS's paint applications just haven't kept pace with a lot of other companies. The work isn't bad per se, it's just not at the same level as HT or Enterbay. I think paint is the next biggest hurdle that SS needs to address.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that people will need to send this to Les for a repaint - SS's paint applications just haven't kept pace with a lot of other companies. The work isn't bad per se, it's just not at the same level as HT or Enterbay. I think paint is the next biggest hurdle that SS needs to address.

Maybe his regular head but I think the melting head looks pretty damn good.

So, No-one in China has a camera? Why Can't SSC simply ask the China Factory Production Team to show pics of the Final Prod piece before it is packed for shipping? How does SSC approve of a Final Prod Piece without knowing what it looks like? This rationale makes no sense to me....

I agree with you on that. Seriously, they can't shoot pics in the factory and e-mail them to Sideshow??? In this high-tech day and age, there is no excuse for not having final production images before processing. Heck, the pics would arrive long before the boat gets stateside!

I'm pretty darn sure that the Hasbro Ark will end up being better and more accurate than Sideshow's at the end of the day. And that is flat-out WRONG.

Maybe they should just start producing them in the States, that way they could pop over and exercise some quality control and just take pictures themselves.

Just an idea....

Maybe they should just start producing them in the States, that way they could pop over and exercise some quality control and just take pictures themselves.

Just an idea....

do you have any idea how much that would cost them?

Why pay an american, when someone in some poor area of the world will work for a smile and a bread crumb.

i know i'm being a jerk for saying it that way.. but really.. it's pure and simple economics. They just don't give enough of a crap to lose the money.
They already had the new bodies made for the hobbits, which was supposed to be soooo hard for them to have developed.. and did they finish merry and pippin? Hell no. Instead, they just dropped the line on its butt. Does that suck? yes. But do i blame them from a financial point of view? Not really.
Because i expect GREAT companies to stick with the fans and finish lines and keep quality high.
Sideshow is a good company. not great.
They mass produce, and skimp on certain things. Not that i have a problem with that. But my expectations are adjusted accordingly.

It's kinda like looking at some of the great star trek stuff that dst puts out.. compared to the new playmates star trek figures, that look just like the next gen ones i have from 15 years ago. They look exactly the same.
But playmates mass produces and sells to a bigger crowd. dst sells to.. well.. toys r us.. just barely. :)

This stuff used to bug me. but now i just take it all in stride.

Just cancelled my exclusive Toht. I have no faith that the Ark will be better than Hasbro's, although I plan to pick up a regular version down the line. Although at the rate these are being cancelled, I wonder if the regular version will turn out to be harder to find than the exclusive?

I'm pretty darn sure that the Hasbro Ark will end up being better and more accurate than Sideshow's at the end of the day. And that is flat-out WRONG.

That would be funny if it ends up being the case. For now I can't wait to see some pics.

I guess what I'm saying is there are many available methods for SSC to inform the Collector what the final Prod Ark looks like before processing orders. SSC Prod Team certainly knows what changes ( if any) were made. And these are being produced at the factory with any change orders SSC implemented. For me, I wanted to see if the wraps were film accurate and if SSC used a Metallic Gold leaf-like paint app instead of that flatter gold paint. Also, if the relief panel was changed and of course the Angel Wings.

SSC prides itself on its PF pieces and I think a 1/6 Polystone ARK falls into that area, as did the Idol Enviro (which SSC nailed).

Now I don't know what to do. Cancel the Ex and get a Reg and Hasbro Ark or wait until the very last minute before deciding. I just wish I could see what it looks like...

Wrong and sad... it should be better.

Last edited:
If LFL signed off on the prototype ark the way it is, then I wouldn't expect any changes. Not the way the Indy line is going, and with all the cancellations already for this figure.

'Why throw good money after bad' would be their logic.

But Dusty said two weeks, so I'm willing to give them the time and hope we do in fact see the final prod pics before this ships. That hope includes the adjustment at least to the pole coverings.

If we don't see any production pics of the Ark, that probably means its as bad as the prototype. Why would they show us something that people are already cancelling in droves?

Back