To you, what isthe single most important attribute ofa statue that can make it great?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To you, what is the single most important aspect of a great statue?

• Intricate details

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Sculpt (this is the rough draft of a finished statue. Everything in place minus intricate details)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Pose (this is an aspect of sculpt)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Paint job

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

ChunkyZergling

Super Freak
Reaction score
Doing a little poll for my own benefit. I'm interested in people's opinions for an article I'm writing. Answers and comments about why you chose your answer and discussion are very welcome. Thanks!

Take an decent SideShow piece (line and character are excluded); everything is at a nice SideShow brand standard (sans production defects or errors),

What would be the most important aspect, to you, of this statue (this aspect is the variable that changes ie increased, all other parts being a "normal" SideShow piece) that would make it stand out as superb or really good or possibly grail piece?

1) intricate details
2) sculpt (the rough draft of a finished statue. How the muscles are shown, guns/weapons, base and other parts not yet intricately detailed)
3) pose (this is an aspect of sculpt)
4) paint job

*Please vote above.

Last edited:
Think you are missing the point, it is not which one...all 4 are needed to make it great.

Now ordering of most important...that is hard.
Any one of those going bad can kill a piece.

But I would have to say, paint. If I cant stand to look at it, what is the point?

Sculpt and details can vary based on style and character. PCS's Klassic MK or HeMan filmation doesnt have crazy details, but still do what is needed, so then I would go with sculpt.

Then intricate details, less because this might be getting to the "needing to be closer" category, where again, some piece can get away without perfect intricate details...and more because out of the 4, I think pose is last.

Finally pose while a great pose is always a plus, given the other 3 are spot on and the pose makes sense in general, it should be all good.
There are many statues where I wish the pose was a bit different, but still enjoy what they are.

They are all very important. However, in my opinion a Hot Toys figure will most likely have a better paint job and sculpt than most statues but the aspect that a statue has over a Hot Toys is the pose. To me a Hot Toys figure will be a better representation of a character but a statue will be a better representation of that character's personality due to the pose.

They are all very important. However, in my opinion a Hot Toys figure will most likely have a better paint job and sculpt than most statues but the aspect that a statue has over a Hot Toys is the pose. To me a Hot Toys figure will be a better representation of a character but a statue will be a better representation of that character's personality due to the pose.

Most SideShow pieces are one foot up on something.

Well we sort of have to take facial likeness out ...because that is a given and number 1 for everyone by default ....

Next for me is a unique pose and visible muscle structure done correctly.
I hate 'museum' poses - whatever that means .... if it is posed facing forward with arms hanging at sides, it may as well be an articulated figure.
I like to see the neck muscles straining as they look in a direction, the late muscles stretched as an arm reaches out (things an articulated figure can't do)

Next ...and I know this is very much personal choice ... but I love battle damaged looks and all the little details that go along with it.
I want Arnie looking half robot, or Indy from ToD with clothes torn apart or Bruce cut and bruised with cuts from EtD ..... not as much into the 'clean' look at all.

The thing that is most important to me is shelf presence. You can have a statue with intricate detail a great paint job nice pose and awesome sculpt and yet it can still leave something to be desired. The culmination of those 4 things should bring forth something that when you see it makes you pause for a second to study it. Not every great statue has it and some can have it for the wrong reason. Something can stand out on your shelf in your display drawing attention to it because its hideous. When it is right though when that x factor is there it doesn't matter how many statues are around it, it will always get attention. Shelf presence is the most important thing for me. I want every piece in my collation to have that X factor and share the spotlight as I look through my display but not every character has that representation. If a statue has a bad sculpt or pose it wont have the shelf presence it needs. If the detail and pain job are lacking it will have the shelf presence for the wrong reasons. Once all these factors come together in the right way thats when art is truly made.

I think the perfect example of great statue is the Indiana Jones Raiders Premium Format figure. The likeness, pose, details are phenomenal. I feel like I have a miniature Indy in my room with me.

I think the perfect example of great statue is the Indiana Jones Raiders Premium Format figure. The likeness, pose, details are phenomenal. I feel like I have a miniature Indy in my room with me.

Really? I think the Temple of Doom statue resembles Harrison ford a lot more. It likeness is incredible. All I have is the Hot Toys Indiana.

While paint job is the most talked about subject around here, I actually think it's at the bottom of your list, because personally if I'm not interested in the sculpt and pose in the first place I wouldn't care for the statue to check the paint job. Usually by the time I check the paint job of a piece, I'm already down for the sculpt and pose, it's like everything is good to go as long as it had a decent paint job, not even a great one, just an acceptable paint job is all we can hope for.

The sculpt can be phenomenal but the factory paint will never blow your mind, it's the least that matters imo, as long as the paint is passable the sculpt and pose is what makes a piece stand out.

---

---

Really?
Really? I think the Temple of Doom statue resembles Harrison ford a lot more. It likeness is incredible. All I have is the Hot Toys Indiana.
My thoughts exactly. Well likeness is good on both but the Raiders PF is a little dull and flat to me and the ToD PF a lot more dynamic.

While paint job is the most talked about subject around here, I actually think it's at the bottom of your list, because personally if I'm not interested in the sculpt and pose in the first place I wouldn't care for the statue to check the paint job. Usually by the time I check the paint job of a piece, I'm already down for the sculpt and pose, it's like everything is good to go as long as it had a decent paint job, not even a great one, just an acceptable paint job is all we can hope for.

The sculpt can be phenomenal but the factory paint will never blow your mind, it's the least that matters imo, as long as the paint is passable the sculpt and pose is what makes a piece stand out.

---

---

I agree with you 100%. If the sculpt or pose sucks, I don't care what the paint apps end up looking like, because it won't be displayed in my collection. However, if I LOVE the sculpt and pose, I may just keep a statue and have it repainted just so I can have it in my collection. Paint apps are the finishing touches on a statue. They are important, but can be worked around if necessary. There's just about no way to work around a bad sculpt or pose. When that happens, a piece is just dead in the water for me personally.

The accuracy of the sculpt (accurate likeness) is the single most important attribute that makes a statue great.

It far outweighs everything else.

Back