Serenity BDR - Full Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got some 1/144 scale people from a model ship, and they are signifigantly better than what QMX produced. At the very least they are recognizeably human, and dont't look like River started producing modern art on the Bridge.

Really? Wow. I knew this thing was supposed to be smaller than the pictures make it look, but smaller than 1/144 would be pretty freaking small.
The title "Big Damn Replica" is suddenly doesn't seem to fit anymore when I can palm the thing.

That seems small, but the ship is really just that big. Like I've got the 1/72 millennium falcon with good sized figures--that's 18 inches long. A 1/72 Serenity would be almost 50 inches long, almost three times as large.

Yea, im not saying it should be ridiculously huge like that. But for a $2500 model with "Big" in it's name id expect something atleast 2.5; maybe 3 feet long.
The BDR is really tiny. As in, shorter than the distance from my forearm to fingers. Hell, I can practically wrap my hand around 3 full sides of it.
Ive got model ship kits that are bigger and just as detailed that only cost me $70. Granted I had to assemble those myself, but honestly it doesnt look like the BDR would be that hard to paint.
The paint scheme doesnt look all that different than the $30 hasbro X-wing I had as a kid. Somehow they managed to sell the thing for less than the price of a used car.
That pretty much leaves the lighting. And while it is cool, id gladly forgo it if it meant I could buy this model without having to sell a kidney.

Last edited:
It's true, the paint job isn't very complex, that's one of my complaints--they really simplified it so they could use simple masks and airbrush most of it.

I would say the main cost is the development of the model (they were working on it for something like 3 years) and the electronics, the electronics are pretty complex and I'm guessing the cost of them would be $500-$1,000 of the price since they have several complex light functions.

Sounds fair enough. But IMO it still doesn't justify the price, especially considering some major inaccuracies in the model (I can't stop staring at that giant gap behind the galley where the hallway to the engine room should be).
If people love this thing and its worth it for them, then great. But personally, I would much rather go with an alternative. A chinese manufactured model kit that you had to paint and assemble yourself could be signifigantly bigger (2' atleast) and cost about 5% of what the BDR does.

What's this I am hearing of a new serenity?? Landing gear no lights version?

Not sure when the website was updated, but I just noticed QMx now have the BDR listed as Edition Closed - Sold Out.

Now we all know they didn't make, let alone sell the ES of 1000, so I wonder exactly how many did get made.

In theory they were numbered in order, so anyone have higher then 115.

On a side note, final listed price was now $3495, so I did pretty well getting mine for $1995.

While it's possible that no one really cares, I've actually now got an answer to my own question.

I emailed QMx and got a reply:

Big Damn Replica Serenity edition was closed out at approximately 200 units.

Bit lower then I was expecting but at the same time, not all that surprising.

I have #129, and they definitely started skimping on packaging and the paint job is pretty lack luster towards the back. I'd buy it again cause I do really want a Serenity and I love Firefly, but it's not really worth it >< And I definitely won't buy any other "Artisan" replicas from them again. And for $3500 I would have passed, that's just way too much... I paid about $2200 for this and a bit less for my MR Falcon and the Falcon is far more impressive (in paint and also size). And I paid a lot less for my Model 47a and I would choose my 47a over my BDR >< Still there really isn't much else around other then the kit so really it comes down to just how much you want one, cause options are so limited :/

Last edited:
I emailed Secret Compass a month or so ago and they were out of stock. Said they'd sold their last one recently.

They're largely built to order so I think you will have trouble finding one outside of a retailer ><

They're largely built to order so I think you will have trouble finding one outside of a retailer ><

They are no longer built at all, Edition Closed with only around 200 ever made. So short of buying one from a current owner, everyone is going to find it impossible to get one from a retailer.

They are no longer built at all, Edition Closed with only around 200 ever made. So short of buying one from a current owner, everyone is going to find it impossible to get one from a retailer.

Right, what I was getting at though is that retailers won't even continue carrying them because they never had a "stock" of them. So sold out means sold out pretty much everywhere except secondary market.

Right, what I was getting at though is that retailers won't even continue carrying them because they never had a "stock" of them. So sold out means sold out pretty much everywhere except secondary market.

Yeah, tho initially retailers could have ordered a 'standard config' and had it in stock. Not sure if anyone did or if they only ordered from QMx if and when they had a customer that wanted to buy.

But yes, now it's a moot point, as any they did have would be gone and no chance to get any more.

They are doing something new though--posted on their facebook page is some 3D prints of Serenity parts (at a slightly larger scale). It's unclear what the plan is, whether they are wanting to do a new replica or if it's a model kit. I'm hoping for model kit.

Yeah, tho initially retailers could have ordered a 'standard config' and had it in stock. Not sure if anyone did or if they only ordered from QMx if and when they had a customer that wanted to buy.

But yes, now it's a moot point, as any they did have would be gone and no chance to get any more.

I know retailers didn't really have a choice other then the standard config but I didn't think any had actually ordered a stock cause they all said X months wait-time after order (and they took a deposit) I figured they were also made to order. I ordered one from a retail site myself and it was indeed made to order (took a damn year too when it was supposed to be half that).

I have one of these. I always wanted to display it but never found a proper spot so it ended up sitting in the box never displayed and just tucked away.
I also never followed any articles on this until just reading this Thread now.
Does anyone know if there was ever an option to get that landing gear and the scaled mule that was shown at SDCC?
I hate to think mine is sort of incomplete if those items were once offered.

Back