Tips for getting rid of the dreaded doll dot.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, or just dab black paint over the dot. I guarantee you won't see the fix without a magnifying glass. It's tiny.

We have a few good suggestions now. :)

Gently rub the dot off with finger nail polish remover. Then apply some gloss to make it shiny again. :wave

This really works? Have you tried it? What tool do you use to rub?

I'd be worried that more than just the dot would rub off to fast to control.

Yes, or just dab black paint over the dot. I guarantee you won't see the fix without a magnifying glass. It's tiny.

Not a bad idea but they are often on the iris, not just the pupil, as you can see on my Gandalf pics.

make sure to get some microsol to soften up the decal..it will be easier to position it and of course the gloss coat to finish it :)

Rob

Could you share some specifics? :pray:

What is "microsol" and how is it used in this context?

What kind of "gloss coat" should I get?

Okay, did a little searching. Are these two the same:

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Microscale-Industries-Micro-Setting-Solution/dp/B0006O9K4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337701923&sr=8-1[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Microscale-Industries-Micro-Setting-Solution/dp/B0006O9K5Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337701923&sr=8-2[/ame]

Finally got my eye decals. And I bought some MicroSol/MicroSet. Any tips for the application would be appreciated.

Also, what kind of gloss/clear coat do you all recomend for giving the eyes the shiny look? Any product you can recomend that I might be able to find at Hobby Lobby?

Last edited:
Finally got my eye decals. And I bought some MicroSol/MicroSet. Any tips for the application would be appreciated.

Also, what kind of gloss/clear coat do you all recomend for giving the eyes the shiny look? Any product you can recomend that I might be able to find at Hobby Lobby?

I got some of those decals as well, let us know how you get on with them.

Progress report.

First of all it don't know what the secret is to getting the decals off the sheet. I tried peeling them off like a normal sticker and that doesn't work at all. I've tried scraping it off with a exacto blade, and picking at it with a tweezers, and nothing works. I've even tried soaking them in the MicroSol first and that doesn't make any difference.

IMG_7222.jpg

Anyway, what ended up working was cutting the eye right out of the sheet. Then soaking it with MicroSol separated the decal from the backing:

IMG_7225.jpg

However, there seems to be no inherent stickiness to the decals, so the MicroSol is a must. For a test I stuck one of the large decals to the inside of Indy's head and is worked quite well. Nice and flat with a good hold:

IMG_7239.jpg

Getting one of the tiny ones to lay flat on a convex eye is much harder. I tried it with a wrong colored eye for practice:

IMG_7237.jpg

I think that with the right color, and the decal cut perfectly, and a nice gloss coat on top, this has good potential...

However, there seems to be no inherent stickiness to the decals, so the MicroSol is a must. For a test I stuck one of the large decals to the inside of Indy's head and is worked quite well. Nice and flat with a good hold:

IMG_7239.jpg

Update:

I barely touched this decal and it came right off. So again, no stickiness to them at all. Looks like I'm gonna need to put the gloss coat on as soon as the decal forms to the eye shape.

Back