Tips for getting rid of the dreaded doll dot.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mags, you place decals in water for around a minute to get them off the backing. :) Don't leave them in any longer than a minute or so, they go too soft and will break when you try to position them. I think it's around a minute anyway. The decals i've had experience with were for 1:24 scale cars, a 1:6 eye is around the same size so it is probabaly around 1 minute. Also don't try to take them off their backing too early, if they don't just slide off put them back in the water. So cut loosely around the decal you want (don't put the whole sheet in the water) I think you have to let them dry for a good bit too. Maybe a day or so. Try and be as delicate as you can mate they're a pain!! If you're brushing on the gloss i'd be careful too!

Last edited:
Honestly, painting an eye is not that difficult as long as you aren't looking for results like Skiman or Silent Surfer.

And since the eye is already painted you just need to trace what is there with paint.

Easiest method is to do a black circle the size of the entire iris, then fill that in with the desired iris color so only a thin ring of black is visible then you add a black pupil in the center. Let it dry in between steps and then gloss coat it.

This is one I did a bit ago, but being on a larger head its easier to see what I'm talking about in terms of the rings of color... I'd think easier than messing with decal sheet :lol

tauna.jpg

Eye placement is usually the hardest part, but since these have already been done for you it would be pretty easy.

I've heard when painting eyes you should put a thick coat of gloss between each paint layer to give depth. Anyone else heard this?

Mags, you place decals in water for around a minute to get them off the backing. :)

Would have been nice to know. :lol

Thanks for the tips. :)

Honestly, painting an eye is not that difficult as long as you aren't looking for results like Skiman or Silent Surfer.

And since the eye is already painted you just need to trace what is there with paint.

Easiest method is to do a black circle the size of the entire iris, then fill that in with the desired iris color so only a thin ring of black is visible then you add a black pupil in the center. Let it dry in between steps and then gloss coat it.

This is one I did a bit ago, but being on a larger head its easier to see what I'm talking about in terms of the rings of color... I'd think easier than messing with decal sheet :lol

tauna.jpg

Eye placement is usually the hardest part, but since these have already been done for you it would be pretty easy.

That looks great.

And you make a strong argument. I think I'll try to make the decal work on Indy just to have the experience, and depending on the results (and how frustrating it is) I may try to paint Gandalf's eyes. :duff

the problem i ran into with them & looks to be with yours is that you haven't cut out enough of the top or bottom. like there too much of the eye itself. fitting them in place is a challenge & if you dont get it right you only have some many times handling it before they flake or tear.

i agree with GB that painting is the way to go.
the eye decals are good in theory but not nearly as straitforward as you might think & no less frustrating than painting..........:lol

the problem i ran into with them & looks to be with yours is that you haven't cut out enough of the top or bottom. like there too much of the eye itself. fitting them in place is a challenge & if you dont get it right you only have some many times handling it before they flake or tear.

i agree with GB that painting is the way to go.
the eye decals are good in theory but not nearly as straitforward as you might think & no less frustrating than painting..........:lol

Yeah, you don't realize how much of the top and bottom you need to cut off.

I did do that (especially at the top) but I do think I need to cut off a little more for the real decal.

IMG_7237.jpg

Well, I managed to get the decals situated pretty well on Indy.

IMG_7264.jpg

Obviously, his right eye is the better of the two, so here's a close-up comparison to illustrate how well this has the potential for working:

Before:

IMG_7237crop.jpg

After:

IMG_7270.jpg

The green isn't a perfect match, but the doll dot is gone! :yess:

I'm quite pleased with the results. However, I have to go out and buy an acrylic gloss coat yet. I think these decals would fall off if I blew on them, so we'll see if I can keep them in place while brushing...

Also, here's a test run with Gandalf. Obviously, I need to use a darker blue...

IMG_7276.jpg

I think these have potential. I'm much more proficient at cutting and placing than mixing and painting.

not too bad mag............still looks like it could be cut down just a smidge.......but.............if you like it that's what counts.
i just never thought the printed out eye had enough depth in the color/sharpness to it to replace a good paint. but as far as your mission to get rid of the doll dot..............success............:lecture

I agree. I should have cut more off the top of the iris. In the case of Gandalf, I plan to use a smaller decal and I won't need to cut much off.

And I also agree that good paint is better than a decal. That said, I think these eyes with the gloss coat look better than the Sideshow paint. Not only because of the dot, it's just not good paint. :/

Thanks Platty. :)

I tried your tips for them and that was very helpful, but I found a slightly different method that works better.

After I do Gandalf, I'll post a tutorial. :peace

Back