Threezero: Rambo III: John Rambo 1/6 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How are you guys planning to convert this to a Rambo 2 version?

I am just going to change out the head band with red (tea stained) band. I am not going to alter the hair. Granted he had a shorter hair style in 2 but I am cool with it being longer. The sculpted hair is way to nice to chop or mess with. The outfits he wore and stages of the outfit as it changed through the movie are almost indistinguishable between 2 and 3. He did have the two small knives in the back of the belt in 2.

As to the figure himself....I am so freaking impressed. Just the more I keep messing with this guy the more I am digging him. ThreeZero really just killed this and if anyone has seen any of my reviews on YouTube I am not the worlds biggest ThreeZero fan. I have been critical of their items for a while. Honestly their new Transformer line and this figure has shown just how capable they are and more power to them. I got to say I completely agree with the comments here about how HT is not what they once were. Granted I still have a few pieces of theirs that I absolutely love like my Golgo 13, Captain Harlock, Optimus Prime, Astro Boy, and Robocop pieces....but when I look my deltolfs I am seeing VTS Justice Judge, VTS Epoch Cop, Art Figures Heavy Armored Cop (yes I am a Dredd fan) 2 different ThreeZero Dredds, QMX Malcolm Reynolds, QMX Star Trek figures, ThreeZero Transformers, WeiJiang Transformers, and now these ThreeZero Rambo pieces...less and less space is devoted to the one time king of 1/6 and I find myself fine with it. As long as other manufactures step up and improve their game it just means a wider and better variety and selection of items for us collectors. HT lately seems to find a cash cow and they will literally milk it dry...be it with Johnny Depp figures for awhile, then Terminator, Iron Man, Joker, and now Spider-Man...nothing against it, it makes collectors happy. However there was a time their offerings were varied and different and I used to look forward to toy fair to see what this year would bring...now not so much. I would much rather see what coming out through smaller companies or even unlicensed pieces. I mean I am more excited to see VTS version of Arthur from Read Dead Redemption 2 then anything Hot Toys or Sideshow has coming out. Of course now I will have a eye out to see what is in the ThreeZero pipeline because with this figure they have earned more then my respect...they have earned my attention and pre-order dollars if it is something in my wheelhouse.

I am just going to change out the head band with red (tea stained) band. I am not going to alter the hair. Granted he had a shorter hair style in 2 but I am cool with it being longer. The sculpted hair is way to nice to chop or mess with. The outfits he wore and stages of the outfit as it changed through the movie are almost indistinguishable between 2 and 3. He did have the two small knives in the back of the belt in 2.

Same route I was going to take. I will only change mine if the hair is easily removable. It seems like its not though..

I have a FB2 Rambo that I can take parts from. You are correct about the knives in the back of the belt. Theres a sheath sewed into the belt on mine for a throwing knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same route I was going to take. I will only change mine if the hair is easily removable. It seems like its not though..

Okay from a difficultly standpoint it is maybe middle of the road 4 out of 10. If your are not comfortable manipulating plastic or pieces I do not suggest you do it. I would hate for someone to ruin such a beautiful figure. I could see someone accidentally tearing the hair piece if they were not careful. With that said if you are wanting to do this mod here are my steps. Just take your time and plan out how you do it. Whole process is less then 30 minutes start to finish. I am in no way saying how I did it is gospel...it is how it worked for me and the results are this....

a6cf4344cacb05ce035645c526bf4b11.jpg

1st because I am not sure what kind of sealant ThreeZero uses I was afraid to use the boil and pop method to remove the hair because I did not want to ruin his paint, so I just did it with my heat gun - I set it to 325 and heated up the top and back of the hair, the face I had covered with a clean white micro fiber cloth. Was able to basically turn the hair piece inside out and slowly work it off the square peg at the top of the head until I had this...
aac85d77c18978b4cc6db3733f089d2e.plist

Next I cleaned up the pieces with a micro file so when I glued it back together there would be something to bite on too. Rough surfaces glue great smooth surfaces suck.
9c3dc7c3cb42cbc06eff08fb24878173.jpg

I cut my cloth to the same width as Threezeros black head band, purposely let it be frayed as it is in the movie. Also let my band be extra long, we will cut off the excess after it is on the figure and I will have it as long as I want it to be.
059d6ccb71f73c9828c0d75cfc68985c.plist

Glued band into place using micro glue applicators - I cannot tell you how much I love these things. I use them for glue, painting in small areas etc. I know more want to be customizers that ruin pieces because of excess glue or getting crap on their fingers and touching something and ruining it by transferring it. Prior planning prevent piss poor performance. Any guys from the military I am sure your TI screamed that at you more then once.
a30c7717ccc56cc21ff61786925e50fe.plist

f50716142889a2be87085d54b73807db.plist

Then even though my band had been tea stained I weathered more with wrought iron black and a floater mix. It gives it that greasy dirty look like the head band made from the dress that belong to Co in the movie.

43c257314ecc79db2c13d33d3599297a.plist

Then fed the rest of the head band through the hole in the back after gluing the band down in the same spots ThreeZero had glued the black band down. Also then finished weathering the strands coming out the back. Clipped off and loose threads and then ran a bead of Fray-Stop to all the cut edges of the band so it will not fray anymore then it already is. Which we wanted.

f19ef86980e31f02ed54e6d5e67b0a41.plist

64fc9a90c10a861ba5997c7de20a9dc8.plist

Finally after test fitting everything and satisfied with the results of where the band sat on the head then using the micro glue applicator again - I glued the hair piece back to the head. Making note that the hair is set on the peg like it was previously, you do not want it off kilter to the left or right even a little bit because at this scale it would show horribly. Also made sure I glued it upside down, because even though I am using a glue applicator in small amounts I did not want nothing to running down the head and ruin that paint job.

And after a few minutes and I knew everything was dry and set.... popped that sucker back on. Trimmed the strands in the back to where they were on Stallone in the movie... although I got to admit the length of them varies throughout the film and scene to scene. Used a dab of Fray-Stop again on the very ends where I trimmed them....and done. Think he turned out amazing. Going to keep Rambo 2 with the bow and arrow because he used it more in that movie. Now I just gotta wait for my other figure to arrive today and my stands to arrive...whenever.

f9b4cfe7d8f36bbe094e0cb08d6fb467.jpg

93ae7811fc5fd6fcf65cec14762218c9.plist

cb12d796a6401941d64cef0c40c8962f.plist

eb071edfd394710d204906d4a5d115b9.plist

560c6cf8cde66c96381267ace8049862.plist

28d34622b50c4760a409e2153711aa8d.plist

2119fbeb5fe6d66ae87f257930f7a16c.plist

6537dab73de1d99277d9ad2a11c7a0fc.plist

8c24ab0500a9798f77a3708d9ba5c59b.plist

Awesome work. I strongly resemble that glue comment about wannabe customizers. I ****ing hate using glue, I've probably ruined more than I've fixed.

Stellar work on making a rambo II custom. No way in hell will i do that ( rambo III suits me fine), but nice to see it can be done. Too mux work for my tastes though and i would totally screw it up. Nice to know as well that threezero used a fabric headband on this figure. Can't wait to see it in person. My stand with evilface sticker will be on the way soon as well. This is gonna look sick in my collection. Also worth noting this is already on waitlist at sideshow now.

Okay from a difficultly standpoint it is maybe middle of the road 4 out of 10. If your are not comfortable manipulating plastic or pieces I do not suggest you do it. I would hate for someone to ruin such a beautiful figure. I could see someone accidentally tearing the hair piece if they were not careful. With that said if you are wanting to do this mod here are my steps. Just take your time and plan out how you do it. Whole process is less then 30 minutes start to finish. I am in no way saying how I did it is gospel...it is how it worked for me and the results are this....

a6cf4344cacb05ce035645c526bf4b11.jpg

1st because I am not sure what kind of sealant ThreeZero uses I was afraid to use the boil and pop method to remove the hair because I did not want to ruin his paint, so I just did it with my heat gun - I set it to 325 and heated up the top and back of the hair, the face I had covered with a clean white micro fiber cloth. Was able to basically turn the hair piece inside out and slowly work it off the square peg at the top of the head until I had this...
aac85d77c18978b4cc6db3733f089d2e.plist

Next I cleaned up the pieces with a micro file so when I glued it back together there would be something to bite on too. Rough surfaces glue great smooth surfaces suck.
9c3dc7c3cb42cbc06eff08fb24878173.jpg

I cut my cloth to the same width as Threezeros black head band, purposely let it be frayed as it is in the movie. Also let my band be extra long, we will cut off the excess after it is on the figure and I will have it as long as I want it to be.
059d6ccb71f73c9828c0d75cfc68985c.plist

Glued band into place using micro glue applicators - I cannot tell you how much I love these things. I use them for glue, painting in small areas etc. I know more want to be customizers that ruin pieces because of excess glue or getting crap on their fingers and touching something and ruining it by transferring it. Prior planning prevent piss poor performance. Any guys from the military I am sure your TI screamed that at you more then once.
a30c7717ccc56cc21ff61786925e50fe.plist

f50716142889a2be87085d54b73807db.plist

Then even though my band had been tea stained I weathered more with wrought iron black and a floater mix. It gives it that greasy dirty look like the head band made from the dress that belong to Co in the movie.

43c257314ecc79db2c13d33d3599297a.plist

Then fed the rest of the head band through the hole in the back after gluing the band down in the same spots ThreeZero had glued the black band down. Also then finished weathering the strands coming out the back. Clipped off and loose threads and then ran a bead of Fray-Stop to all the cut edges of the band so it will not fray anymore then it already is. Which we wanted.

f19ef86980e31f02ed54e6d5e67b0a41.plist

64fc9a90c10a861ba5997c7de20a9dc8.plist

Finally after test fitting everything and satisfied with the results of where the band sat on the head then using the micro glue applicator again - I glued the hair piece back to the head. Making note that the hair is set on the peg like it was previously, you do not want it off kilter to the left or right even a little bit because at this scale it would show horribly. Also made sure I glued it upside down, because even though I am using a glue applicator in small amounts I did not want nothing to running down the head and ruin that paint job.

And after a few minutes and I knew everything was dry and set.... popped that sucker back on. Trimmed the strands and in the back to where they were on Stallone in the movie... although I got to admit the length of them varies throughout the film and scene to scene. Used a dab of Fray-Stop again on where I trimmed them....and done. Think he turned out amazing. Going to keep Rambo 2 with the bow and arrow because he used it more in that movie. Now I just gotta wait for my other figure to arrive today and my stands to arrive...whenever.

f9b4cfe7d8f36bbe094e0cb08d6fb467.jpg

93ae7811fc5fd6fcf65cec14762218c9.plist

cb12d796a6401941d64cef0c40c8962f.plist

eb071edfd394710d204906d4a5d115b9.plist

560c6cf8cde66c96381267ace8049862.plist

28d34622b50c4760a409e2153711aa8d.plist

2119fbeb5fe6d66ae87f257930f7a16c.plist

6537dab73de1d99277d9ad2a11c7a0fc.plist

8c24ab0500a9798f77a3708d9ba5c59b.plist

Wow did that risk really pay off! He looks awesome. That could easily pass for Rambo 2. All you would need to do is change the knife and sheath.

Where did you find the material for his bandana? I was thinking of going to a hobby store to see if they have any materials similar to this.

Where did you find the material for his bandana? I was thinking of going to a hobby store to see if they have any materials similar to this.

It was some red material I had, think it was a sash or something. I liked it because of you look close it has some waves in it like crepe paper. So it is not smooth, which gives it some depth and makes it look more natural. Problem was it was too red to start with, so that is why I tea dyed it and it made it more of a wine or burgundy (stay classy) A trick I picked up from my wife for antiquing her crafty stuff. Then dry brushed it to get that greasy dirty blackish look.

Thank you all for the kind comments. I love this guy. The comment about Sideshow selling out...I am not surprised at all. This is going to be high dollar get in the future. When the second batch comes out and if they look just as good as the first batch I might breakdown and buy myself a 3rd just to keep MIB.

Are the torso and arms rubber? After messing around with this Rambo for a bit I noticed it doesn’t have the same “feel” as the older HT rubber body figures did.

The torso and arms are a rubber cover over a plastic armature. It is beautifully painted and detailed. It is also one of the best looking muscle bodies I have ever had in my possession.

BTW my 2nd figure arrived today...do not have him decked out the way I will eventually have him but damn do they look good together.
cb25f3a8dfabe3b7dd1393113999ff9c.jpg

e019c7773921d6c8e65d1ca6321ebf46.jpg

The torso and arms are a rubber cover over a plastic armature. It is beautifully painted and detailed. It is also one of the best looking muscle bodies I have ever had in my possession.

BTW my 2nd figure arrived today...do not have him decked out the way I will eventually have him but damn do they look good together.

Does it seem like a variance in the pant weathering? They do look good together :)

They look good. You should put the necklace on the "red" one. :)

They look good. You should put the necklace on the "red" one. :)
ea0962e9e7bbcd3bddb46116f07960cc.plist

Back on! [emoji6] want to paint them both actually. Rambo 2 the necklace had a slight green curl at the bottom where it looked marbled while in Rambo 3 it was almost all jade green.

As for variations between the two. Yes the weathering is definitely different between the quiver, pants, jacket and so on. I mean they looked like they followed the same pattern of weathering but there are variations between the two sets. Variations of the bodies or heads? No not really, not anything the eye can discern, if there is it is minimal at best. Both of my figures have extremely good tight joints, on my Rambo 3 figure I left the plastic around the waist because I knew I would be using the shirt with him. I will not be using the jacket for either. Not so much that I am afraid of staining it is just not a look I associate with Rambo.

Now for my big take away from doing the head band mod....ThreeZero has the ability to make us some Rocky figures so damn easily. Refit the body mold without scars, then take that beautiful Rambo head sculpt minus the hair and resculpt a Rocky hairdo to go on it. Repaint it without the beard stubble and Boom. Done. Shorts, Boots, robe, gloves, belt...throw that beotch in a box and tell me where to order and Ka-Ching! Sold. Give us a clean version, then make a ThreeZero exclusive of him at the end of the fight looking beat to *****. Same body molded in different colors - different length ankle pegs and they could have a host of figures based on Apollo, Mr.T, and Dolph.
6595695992a3156a2ac9e290d62f19c8.plist

197a8e350fc9952f42399c07b7beb08c.jpg

Back