ThreeZero Game of Thrones!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stannis ... willingness to do anything to further his own narrow interests.

This should be obvious to anyone who has been watching the past few seasons, as there has been more than one occasion where Stannis has pretty much said point blank that he doesn't care about gods/religion, he cares about the throne. He's been a one-track, one-dimensional character since his first scene. Absolutely nothing has changed at all with this guy. He's like a wind-up robot that just keeps bashing into a wall.

But admittedly, I'm no biblical scholar. I just googled it, and apparently Isaac was not the potential sacrificer, but sacrificee in the Bible! :panic:

That's because you're confusing the son, with his father Abraham.

Last edited:
I just re-watched the dance of the dragons last night. Great episode but it's very hard to watch, a first for me with GOT, kudos to the actress who played the Princess. I can see Selyse taking some sort of action in the season finale. The title hints at it (not only in the Stannis storyline) I wonder how will they wrap all the story lines in such a short time...

On topic: More figures or whatever...

ooDxlTD.gif

While the scene seemed forced, excessive and unnecessary to some critics, especially since it isn't in the books, I actually think the bigger problem is that it just wasn't well acted or directed. I think most of that falls to Stephen Dillane, the actor who plays Stannis. I always thought he was one of the weaker cast members going back to the second season. I don't read the books so not sure how the character is written, but Dillane pretty much plays him one dimensionally. There have been a couple of decent scenes here and there that played to his acting strengths but for the most part it's been rather one-note - bullheaded, has a sense of entitlement, and doesn't listen to anyone except the red woman. However this was the one scene where the character and the actor could have broken out. Here is a king who is almost broken and on the brink of losing everything -- his campaign, his men and his claim to the iron throne. he is left with one desperate last ditch choice offered by a seductive witch with questionable motives and a thirst for royal blood. Had Stannis been played as both conflicted and agonizing there might have been much more sympathy for him. Instead he protests for about ten seconds before giving in, then as his daughter is being marched off Stannis/Dillane just sort of stands there and looks like a hardhead as always. Not even a tear was shed. GoT takes place in a brutal world, so it's not so much the act itself (far worse things have happened), it's just that it came across as being played for shock value rather than to develop the characters or advance the plot.

I hate what he did but I also understand what he did.

He made the ultimate sacrifice. If he were in the bible he would be commended for his devotion to the lord.

I can see this choice being something that will eat away at him and probably undo him going forward.

I thought it was amazingly moving. As for not being in the books, by all accounts it sounds like we're just not there yet. Anyway... figures... hoping we get a new tease soon. I'd like some assurances the train isn't going to stall at the station on these. So far, all the ones announced we've had hints at before.

This should be obvious to anyone who has been watching the past few seasons, as there has been more than one occasion where Stannis has pretty much said point blank that he doesn't care about gods/religion, he cares about the throne. He's been a one-track, one-dimensional character since his first scene. Absolutely nothing has changed at all with this guy. He's like a wind-up robot that just keeps bashing into a wall.

That's because you're confusing the son, with his father Abraham.

this coming from someone who thinks ned lost his head for gendry?

does anyone else think the show is losing its roots a little? i mean the amount of lose ends is bizarre, nobody cares anymore about the original plot, and neither do the fans, everyone loves jamie and hates stannis, yet jamie had rob killed, tried to murder bran and bangs his sister.
nothing has been even mentioned of the freys, if they ever do return to the riverlands half the audience wont even remember why.

While the scene seemed forced, excessive and unnecessary to some critics, especially since it isn't in the books, I actually think the bigger problem is that it just wasn't well acted or directed. I think most of that falls to Stephen Dillane, the actor who plays Stannis. I always thought he was one of the weaker cast members going back to the second season. I don't read the books so not sure how the character is written, but Dillane pretty much plays him one dimensionally. There have been a couple of decent scenes here and there that played to his acting strengths but for the most part it's been rather one-note - bullheaded, has a sense of entitlement, and doesn't listen to anyone except the red woman. However this was the one scene where the character and the actor could have broken out. Here is a king who is almost broken and on the brink of losing everything -- his campaign, his men and his claim to the iron throne. he is left with one desperate last ditch choice offered by a seductive witch with questionable motives and a thirst for royal blood. Had Stannis been played as both conflicted and agonizing there might have been much more sympathy for him. Instead he protests for about ten seconds before giving in, then as his daughter is being marched off Stannis/Dillane just sort of stands there and looks like a hardhead as always. Not even a tear was shed. GoT takes place in a brutal world, so it's not so much the act itself (far worse things have happened), it's just that it came across as being played for shock value rather than to develop the characters or advance the plot.
You're writing as if the audience was supposed to have some sympathy for Stannis, whereas that clearly didn't seem to be the intention of the show runner/writers. I thought he did a fantastic job of showing himself to be worn down and battered, yet still single-mindedly focused on his goal of becoming king. Really, in the great scheme of things, this behavior does fit in well with what he has done and been historically. I think it's just his one moment of being a loving dad skewing everyone's expectations. He wasn't a good dad really. He's extremely selfish and power hungry above all else, and he's single-minded. We saw that in spades last week.

As for criticisms, I get the impression that some critics in the media are finding justifications for why they want to stop watching, but the truth isn't that a given act is some affront to feminism, or that every single character action/motivation should somehow be new or facilitate explicit character development. It's just that people get turned off to the shocking violence. And that's cool. But in my view, everything is moving the forward story in one way or the other. By further sanitizing Sansa's rape, would it have really had the same effect? Not on the viewer. And ultimately this show is designed to affect the viewer. We don't just hear of brutality second hand, we do get real glimpses of it that make us wince. And there are payoffs. That isn't to say that there is always justice or redemption, but we get to see characters react, others learn from these events, and the texture of the show is made richer because of it all.

My biggest complaint with this season has been the editing, the way scenes are spliced to form an episode. Some scenes are simply too short and offer little in the way of plot or character development and some just don't fit well with others and may have worked better within the context of a different episode. This is responsible for the overall "off" feeling I have this season. 10 episodes has always felt tight for GoT and I'm not sure it would allow this particular issue to be remedied, but that's what I'm attributing it to. A tight airtime budget leading to some rushed and underdeveloped scenes, possibly some missing bridging scenes.

The season feels incomplete more than any other has.

The thing to remember that is if you don't read the books the audience really doesn't care too deeply about Stannis one way or another. They understand him as an important plot device and how he fits into the puzzle but he's not been given as much screen time or character development as the main characters so it's not enough to really formulate one opinion or another.

Also I heard in the extras from the show writers that George Martin was the one who told them what would happen to the daughter so it's definitely not wavering from the books and it will still happen, it just surpassed if because George is too slow and they need to keep things going on the show.

this coming from someone who thinks ned lost his head for gendry?

does anyone else think the show is losing its roots a little? i mean the amount of lose ends is bizarre, nobody cares anymore about the original plot, and neither do the fans, everyone loves jamie and hates stannis, yet jamie had rob killed, tried to murder bran and bangs his sister.
nothing has been even mentioned of the freys, if they ever do return to the riverlands half the audience wont even remember why.

Uhm... Jamie did not have Rob killed.. Tywin was responsible for that.. Jamie sent his regards to Robb, but wasn't aware of what was going to happen at the Twins.

Back