Thor: Love and Thunder **BEWARE SPOILERS**

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Streaming is definitely killing theatrical, but so are prices.

I'd like to see theaters charge $5 tickets again -- have the Hollywood bean counters figure out what they can make in theaters at $5 a ticket, and start making movies at that price. Clearly, $300 million budgets really don't guarantee a great movie. So make $75 million movies, and make them better. Be creative. People will come. They're throwing tons of money away on the streaming hype as it is. We are near total theatrical exhaustion of IPs. Hollywood has been running things into the ground since the 90's.

I'm really curious how the $3 re-releases will fair over this weekend. Maybe studios need to re-release great movies at $3 and a lot more people than you think might come to the theater for nostalgia.

The death of theaters IMHO is coming from a bunch of different directions.

The pandemic is a quiet but critical factor. Lots of people don't want to be around other people like that anymore. They especially don't want their kids around that anymore

A lot of basic social norms are also gone. Who wants to sit in the dark with people talking on their phones or talking at the screen or screaming babies or anything that comes with being around crowds?

The ability to put together a nice home theater has also changed. There is no longer a massive price barrier for someone to get something pretty decent.

No gas costs, no ticket costs, no driving, no parking, no crowds, eat when you want, pause if you want, take a dump if you need to do it, relax on your couch, turn it off if you hate it, so many benefits to seeing a film at home.

Part of the appeal of going to a movie was the shared communal experience. And if more people are unpleasant and rude, it kills that.

I do agree, lowering the price points would help a ton. But the X factor to me was always video games as competition for time and dollars. The modern video game now has, most of the time, high quality writing, top notch production values, a good musical soundtrack/score, and it's interactive. VGs are now like interactive movies on their own.

Essentially making it impossible for small theaters to survive is another problem. There's no incentive for anyone to own one or keep owning them. Movie theaters are like old traditional discussion forums like this. How many 20 year olds want to post here? These kind of forums are dying off. So will, sadly, the traditional movie theater.

How was it is 3D? Does Ben Gardner's head jump out at you?

I always thought the water sloshing up against the camera would look great in 3D.
Water sloshing was cool. Everything on the orca looked cool with all the poles and wires.

It was not made for 3D obviously so no silly 3D gimmicks. So Ben Gardners head was nothing special.

Still cool overall

Streaming is definitely killing theatrical, but so are prices.

I'd like to see theaters charge $5 tickets again -- have the Hollywood bean counters figure out what they can make in theaters at $5 a ticket, and start making movies at that price. Clearly, $300 million budgets really don't guarantee a great movie. So make $75 million movies, and make them better. Be creative. People will come. They're throwing tons of money away on the streaming hype as it is. We are near total theatrical exhaustion of IPs. Hollywood has been running things into the ground since the 90's.

I'm really curious how the $3 re-releases will fair over this weekend. Maybe studios need to re-release great movies at $3 and a lot more people than you think might come to the theater for nostalgia.
Honestly, at this point in my life, if I can view a film I want to watch on one of the streaming services or via other sources 😉 then I will pick that over going to the cinema.

Honestly, at this point in my life, if I can view a film I want to watch on one of the streaming services or via other sources 😉 then I will pick that over going to the cinema.
Well, I did. First time I saw this, tho I was aware there were complaints.

Think I need to watch it again...but unlike Ragnarok this one didn't land with me, and kept thinking I was glad I didn't pay theater costs for this one. Eh. There was some stuff I thought was funny, but the film just seemed off and jokes weren't landing.

The pandemic is a quiet but critical factor. Lots of people don't want to be around other people like that anymore. They especially don't want their kids around that anymore

A lot of basic social norms are also gone. Who wants to sit in the dark with people talking on their phones or talking at the screen or screaming babies or anything that comes with being around crowds?

The ability to put together a nice home theater has also changed. There is no longer a massive price barrier for someone to get something pretty decent.

No gas costs, no ticket costs, no driving, no parking, no crowds, eat when you want, pause if you want, take a dump if you need to do it, relax on your couch, turn it off if you hate it, so many benefits to seeing a film at home.

Part of the appeal of going to a movie was the shared communal experience. And if more people are unpleasant and rude, it kills that.

For me, yeah. Tho I like theaters like Alamo Drafthouse. The other thing is, every time I've missed an "event" movie in theater, lately it seems like so what. Like, the movie turns out to not be good enough IMO for it to matter whether I had a 30 foot IMAX or not.
For me.

Last edited:
Well, I did. First time I saw this, tho I was aware there were complaints.

Think I need to watch it again...but unlike Ragnarok this one didn't land with me, and kept thinking I was glad I didn't pay theater costs for this one. Eh. There was some stuff I thought was funny, but the film just seemed off and jokes weren't landing.

For me, yeah. Tho I like theaters like Alamo Drafthouse. The other thing is, every time I've missed an "event" movie in theater, lately it seems like so what. Like, the movie turns out to not be good enough IMO for it to matter whether I had a 30 foot IMAX or not.
For me.
Since Funko bought out Mondo, I fully expect future drops and screenings to be pure garbage

This movie was a chore to get through. Seriously like, 75% of the "jokes" were duds. Even most the ones that did land were still pretty weak

This movie was a chore to get through. Seriously like, 75% of the "jokes" were duds. Even most the ones that did land were still pretty weak
The repeat gags were some of the worst offenders.

The whole thing with the sentient stormcaller and him talking to mjolnir. Yeeesh. Joke didn't land for you? Maybe it will the next 5 times we try it. :lol

Watched this the other night on Disney Plus, and oh boy, too much Waititi is a bad thing!

Shames I really dug Ragnarok, but here the humour doesn't land at all, it crashes, burns and immolates all that surrounds it.

Started watching this last night, would've watched it till the end, despite it being very, very bad, but it was late and I had to get up early today.
I will watch the rest out of some sense of perverse curiosity, but it really looks bad so far.
The jokes are not very funny, the whole thing with the Mjolnir and Stormbreaker being jealous is just silly, the flashbacks to Jane and Thor's relationship are not even worthy of a mediocre Sitcom, way too much not clever meta-jokes, iffy CGI, mediocre acting that more often than not veers into over-the-top ridicule, and to top it all off, it just looks bad.

Watched this the other night on Disney Plus, and oh boy, too much Waititi is a bad thing!

Shames I really dug Ragnarok, but here the humour doesn't land at all, it crashes, burns and immolates all that surrounds it.

Yeah, I got the sense Waititi did way too much self insertion in this one even tho I appreciate the director - but I saw Ragnarok 3x in theater enjoyed it so much.

IMO Honest Trailers and some other writers got this one right. It's too uneven, mostly unfunny, and dunno it looked like Valkyrie to me had aged 5 years. Don't even feel like watching it again it's like a chore.😑

I think Waititi's humour is great, in his own films like Jojo Rabbit. Mixed with Marvel it just seems very forced and unfunny

Back