Thor alteration suggestions.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thor's chest area and his belt are definitely the biggest detractors from this otherwise awesome sculpt. Sometimes the media choice can help or dissuade someone from buying. The belt looks cheesy (look at that buckle!),as if of poor material that's reminiscent of the 12" line. The silver discs on the chest doesn't mesh well with the cloth they're attached to. The material doesn't look like it's going to survive a laundry day. I always pictured the discs as not floating on top of the cloth mesh but rather, embedded, as in sunken.

Sideshow in the past has mentioned that the proto material can vary from the production material once they start sourcing it. Here's to hoping they find a better material for both the dark chest cloth, and the cheesy belt.

For the sake of looking awesome, making everything poly like the Thor VS dio will resolve a lot of the concerns put out by people. Sideshow always has the option to place a texture or make up with paint those 2 areas to make them look like worn leather.

I got no beef with Thor's torso. I love the mixed media approach and don't think it should be changed at all. The leads me to wonder if the suggestions for altering the torso might stem from the unease of some with Thor's torso being a bit thick because if that's the case then I am even less for the all sculpted upper torso. Thor in my mind is not lithe and nimble as a willow branch but sturdy and solid like an oak tree. He is the son of Midgard (Earth) after all.

I agree that a faux leather needs to used and the head tilted forward would make it so ther sculpt could be seen at eye level and not have it be looking at Odinson's neck while in a standard pose...

I wasn't a fan of the cloth used on Captain America either. It didn't seem to suit the character very well.

I would 100% object to making the torso fully sculpted and they couldn't do it anyway and keep the cloth on the legs. However I've said from the beginning that I'd like to see the top changed to more faux leather - so I'd support that and I've told SSC.

Thanks for the well thought out replies everyone. It's appreciated.

When I first saw the pics posted on Thorsday (sp) night, my immediate reaction was not keen with regard to the position of the head. After a few more looks at it, and repeated viewings of other various angles of this modern day masterpiece, I'm all for the head to remain the way it is. It's unique, and it truly captures the look of The Thunderer calling down lightning from the heavens.

The only reason that I mentioned the head position in my initial post (thanks again Bullseye!) was because a small handful of people at statueforum expressed their less-than-thrilled feelings regarding that. However, again, I think that the pose is fantastic.

The material used for the shirt, however - that's another story. When Sideshow first announced a line of PF figures several years ago, I thought that a Thor PF would be perfect for this type of mixed-media format. I especially felt that Thor's "leather armor" shirt would be a very cool feature. The cloth that is currently depicted is just not a good choice for the character or character's look. Plus, the belt, which is superbly sculpted, looks awkward on such material.

If I had my druthers (and that's a pretty nasty condition, I hear :) ), I'd say I'm around 60% in favor of a sculpted belt and upper body, versus 40% in favor of a new type of material like leather instead of the cloth.

So, I figured that it wouldn't hurt if I composed something that reflected the thoughts and feelings of a whole bunch of fans. Thanks for listening, everyone. No matter what, the Thor PF Figure is a beauty!

I have to say that I'm 100% emphatically against a sculpted top and belt. I wouldn't support that in any way, shape or form. In fact I'd like to petition for a cloth cape too. It's a slippery slope that these are getting closer to comicquettes than PFs and I'd not have them slip down that slope any further.

I like the cape as is.

I do support the petition that his shirt should be made out of faux-leather.

I fear that the cape may be a problem as far as shipping is concerned. It looks huge and I have had sculpted capes break on me plenty of times before I even opened the package. A cloth cape, although less dynamic would be a safer bet in this instance.

I have to say that I'm 100% emphatically against a sculpted top and belt. I wouldn't support that in any way, shape or form. In fact I'd like to petition for a cloth cape too. It's a slippery slope that these are getting closer to comicquettes than PFs and I'd not have them slip down that slope any further.

I agree 1000%.

If anything I want more fabric. These are called Premium Format pieces not statues. :monkey4

If SS would just change the cape I'd be 100% satisfied. :chew

I think they should change the tunic to leather. If you see the pics, you could see its picks up a lot of dust, plus the disc seem to be sticking out like if they were glued on by that white glue they use at school. It just seem like it could easily be ripped of by mistake while trying to display it.

I fear that the cape may be a problem as far as shipping is concerned. It looks huge and I have had sculpted capes break on me plenty of times before I even opened the package. A cloth cape, although less dynamic would be a safer bet in this instance.

i would also like a cloth cape. seem like it could break easilly if not protected well. never know what could happen during shipping especially if done by fed ex. stupid fed ex :thwak

Sideshow will probably use the same material they used for the Emma Frost cape to prevent heavy breakage.

Thor's chest area and his belt are definitely the biggest detractors from this otherwise awesome sculpt. Sometimes the media choice can help or dissuade someone from buying. The belt looks cheesy (look at that buckle!),as if of poor material that's reminiscent of the 12" line. The silver discs on the chest doesn't mesh well with the cloth they're attached to. The material doesn't look like it's going to survive a laundry day. I always pictured the discs as not floating on top of the cloth mesh but rather, embedded, as in sunken.

Sideshow in the past has mentioned that the proto material can vary from the production material once they start sourcing it. Here's to hoping they find a better material for both the dark chest cloth, and the cheesy belt.

For the sake of looking awesome, making everything poly like the Thor VS dio will resolve a lot of the concerns put out by people. Sideshow always has the option to place a texture or make up with paint those 2 areas to make them look like worn leather.
I agree I think with the amount of money we are spending on this sculpt, they would come up with a better belt and chest area. I would also add that the cape is too short. In the comics, Thor's cape comes down between the calf and ankle. Sideshow may have shorten this so you could see more of Thor's legs but this is JMO. I would love for the hammer to be made with real metal but that may be a pipe dream just for me. :D

Someone said faux leather, dosen't that crack (age) easily?

spandex? That'll capture all the muscle curves.;P

I agree I think with the amount of money we are spending on this sculpt, they would come up with a better belt and chest area. I would also add that the cape is too short. In the comics, Thor's cape comes down between the calf and ankle. Sideshow may have shorten this so you could see more of Thor's legs but this is JMO. I would love for the hammer to be made with real metal but that may be a pipe dream just for me. :D

Good point on the cape. They could make it billowy so that you could still see the ankles.

For the record, the hammer is not metal. It's made of Urdu, which looks more rock than metal. They could always lengthen the shaft of the hammer (31" tall, anyone?).

Sideshow needs to do something about the jerkin though. Make it something worthy of a Thunder God! And emboss the belt if need be, just don't make it look like the belts from the 12" line! This is a most anticipated PF from all ranks -- let's give it the treatment it deserves!

Sideshow needs to do something about the jerkin though. Make it something worthy of a Thunder God! And emboss the belt if need be, just don't make it look like the belts from the 12" line! This is a most anticipated PF from all ranks -- let's give it the treatment it deserves!

I agree.

At least change the material that is used for the belt. Really cheap looking.

You said it!

Good point on the cape. They could make it billowy so that you could still see the ankles.

For the record, the hammer is not metal. It's made of Urdu, which looks more rock than metal. They could always lengthen the shaft of the hammer (31" tall, anyone?).

It's call Uru and I don't have any laying around. Its always been protrayed as a rare metal from the Asgardian dimmension. I think a metal hammer would have been off the chain. :D

I also think the cape should have been cloth or something with wires in it to pose at will.

totally agree w/ Nash and Shai (and everyone else). why the darn cape isn't cloth when wires and folds would've given the same or better look, i have no idea. that's like making Darkness, Vader's, Grievous' cape sculpted. Why not just sculpt all of Phantom, LAMS, Doom's clothes. Leia's gown...sculpted! heh.
Thor has little enough mixed materials on him as it is. like Hulk he barely qualifies as a PF. totally against sculpted torso for Thor but i wouldn't mind his torso being pleather but don't really mind the cloth either (tho admittedly pleather'd probably look better). tho my main gripe is the cape.

also the comparison w/ Cap confuses me. Cap has pants, shorts, arm sleeves, torso and belt all materials. also, his sculpted upper torso worked fine because of the scale mail it depicted.

Last edited:
You cannot compare Thor's cape to Vader's and Darkness... Their capes just hang straight down. Thor's cape has much more life to it and to capture it correctly they needed to sculpt it.

The problem with leather is yes it may deteriorate fast... although I'm not sure how fast the spandex will hold up either.

You cannot compare Thor's cape to Vader's and Darkness... Their capes just hang straight down. Thor's cape has much more life to it and to capture it correctly they needed to sculpt it.

you can compare them...because they're all capes. also the others i mentioned are in live action movies. only reason Thor's seems to have more "life" is because it's drawn that way lol. plus even the most life-filled and dynamic capes can be done wonderfully in clothlike materials. look at Medicom's Spawn or Sovereign Studio's Fallen (Spawn). incredible jobs done w/ the capes and they're 1/6th scale! should be even easier at larger scales.

Back