Thinking about quitting this hobby.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In this scenario I consider it anything except a mortgage. If you have a business loan or something, thats different.

If I owed on credit cards, school or cars I would not be collecting. I feel nervous enough buying these high priced luxury items and I only owe on my house.

But I feel that way buying anything more than a $120 watch too. :lol

I only owe on my CC right now, so I feel ok where I'm at right now. I've slowed down on collecting a lot though.

Ask yourself this:

If you lost your job today...would you be ok for the next 6 months unemployed? If the answer is YES...you are fine :)

However, for the majority of the population in the US, the answer is NO, its not even YES for being OK for the next 2 months.

Everyone here lives month to month...very rarely do you see people prioritize their finances. Its ok to have cc debt, if its a 0% (sans balance transfer fees).

We are all sucked into this hobby, like the majority of people that have posted say "Keep to a theme, and not try to be a completist"

Just my $0.02.

A mortgage can be excused because theoretically your home is supposed to be considered an investment--ideally your home will one day be worth more than your loan.

Also, your mortgage expense is something you'd otherwise be paying as rent anyway.

Ask yourself this:

If you lost your job today...would you be ok for the next 6 months unemployed? If the answer is YES...you are fine :)

However, for the majority of the population in the US, the answer is NO, its not even YES for being OK for the next 2 months.

Everyone here lives month to month...very rarely do you see people prioritize their finances. Its ok to have cc debt, if its a 0% (sans balance transfer fees).

We are all sucked into this hobby, like the majority of people that have posted say "Keep to a theme, and not try to be a completist"

Just my $0.02.

For at least half of the collecting population they can just fall back on mom and pops anyway for those 6 months. :lol

As scary as the economy is right now, I don't think most people understand what it means to be poor.

News flash America, if you can still afford your cell phone and cable you aren't poor. Stop asking the government for money.

things you own---will always own you----my boyeee TD is right----if anything you do controls you it is a drug not a hobby, a hobby should be fun and not in the way of priority or a $$$ burden---if you can not buy it cash----you can not afford it-----my $.01 in this.

Borrowing money you don't have to buy stuff = debt.

Some of THE STUPID in this thread has to be a joke.

because I'm far from being maxed out and I can definetely pay it off. People put things on their CC all the time, that's the point of having them. If you aren't capable of paying it off, then I would say your in trouble. One of the biggest problems with the economy, which someone pointed out earlier is that people are putting too much on their CC and getting so far into debt, that they can't pay it off. I guess debt is debt, but when it comes to this hobby, I think if you can't pay off that debt, then you have a problem.

Fair enough. Although I would really pay off that money, which I imagine you're paying some kind of interest on. Besides, you never know what next month (or even tomorrow) will bring.

Also, your mortgage expense is something you'd otherwise be paying as rent anyway.

Funny, I wrote something along those lines, but I deleted it just to be more brief. :)

Is this thread for real? I'm in debt and what should I do I can't afford to buy every figure I want?

How about: only buy what you can afford. Seriously mate, that's some messed up developed world whining going on there. My heart bleeds for your complete lack of perspective.

I'm not whining. I saw the problem and I fixed it. Just because I ask for peoples opinion on this situation doesn't necessarily mean I'm whining. I was on the fence about selling some figures so I presented the dilemma. But you can think what you want. There's always one or two in the crowd so whatever. I'm the kind of person who likes to hear what others think so be it.

ANYWAY... Thank you everyone who gave me their opinions. :wave

I thought this was a good thread subject. Financial responsibility is a lesson we can all learn and re-learn. :dunno

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Being a completist is the touch of death... I go Marvel Heroes ONLY... No villains, no supporting characters. Star Wars OT ONLY... Etc.

I think it comes with time. In 2006 I wanted every frickin thing and run my self into the ground. Here is my breakdown:

1. Collected everything that was a good deal
2. Collected specific lines but had to have everything produced
3. Ventured into lifesize and statues
4. Masterbated
5. Focused on particular lines
6. Quality over quantity

I thought this was a good thread subject. Financial responsibility is a lesson we can all learn and re-learn. :dunno

Exactly. We always see how people got this and got that. Then got some more and then got some more on top of that. What we don't see is the other side. I was hoping to see that I wasn't the only one in this situation. Especially now that the price of Hot Toys is climbing a lot.

I think it comes with time. In 2006 I wanted every frickin thing and run my self into the ground. Here is my breakdown:

1. Collected everything that was a good deal
2. Collected specific lines but had to have everything produced
3. Ventured into lifesize and statues
4. Masterbated
5. Focused on particular lines
6. Quality over quantity

#4 FTW :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

If I sold off my Enterbay Bruce Lee figures I would probably be able to get myself out of debt. That's assuming the HT DX Bruce Lee release didn't decrease the value of the Enterbay Bruce Lee figures ($600-$900 each).

LOL good luck with those $600-900 Bruce Lee figures.
If you're using those figures to get yourself out of debt you might be in trouble.

I've tried talking to friends and family but no one can understand the need / love of this hobby. To them they're toys. To us it's artistic appreciation and a lot more.
Please counsel me friends.

They are just toys - anything else is you justifying not being able to part with your toys.

this thread is funny. i think someone needs to start a Collectors Anonymous counseling group for a lot of members here. are there really people on this board who are HT completists?? seriously?? a lot of their licenses are WTF??

LOL good luck with those $600-900 Bruce Lee figures.
If you're using those figures to get yourself out of debt you might be in trouble.

Really? What are they going for these days? Haven't checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back