Things I Want

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing of it is like most parents we did Toothfairy, Easter Bunny, Santa and all that... which it to say we lied about a bunch of stuff because it was the age appropriate thing to do. Which makes me question my lack of discussing the topic of god and afterlife.

Perhaps I should've just said "yes, there's a god and and all that stuff grandma and grandpa said" and let my kids grow out of it. Or not grow out of it.

I question my own actions. I worry I may be short circuiting their ability to form a faith based view of life just because I moved away from it. Even Homer Simpson holds his nose and drags the family to church but I doubt he's really a believer. In my mind this isn't about religion it's about parenting.

I don't consider myself an Atheist. Most atheists are as dogmatic and evangelical as any bible thumper I've ever met. I've never tried to talk anyone out of their beliefs or shame them. Every Atheist I've met looks down their nose at the "ingorant" believers. Spend five minutes in the Atheism sub-Reddit. I dislike that type of activism.

there was actually a Simpsons episode where Homer wants to stop going to church so he starts his own religion or something like that. I saw it a long time ago so I don't remember everything that happens, but I know his dreams about talking to God in heaven throughout the episode.

QJ9IZ09.gif

I don't consider myself an Atheist. Most atheists are as dogmatic and evangelical as any bible thumper I've ever met. I've never tried to talk anyone out of their beliefs or shame them. Every Atheist I've met looks down their nose at the "ingorant" believers. Spend five minutes in the Atheism sub-Reddit. I dislike that type of activism.

I do consider myself an atheist, and I agree with you fully.That kind of behavior makes my backhand itch. In all my time here, I've actively avoided talking people out of their faith. I don't hold my tongue when stating my own beliefs, but I sure as hell don't preach.

If any of my religious friends have ever felt like I do, then I apologize. It is not my intent.

The thing of it is like most parents we did Toothfairy, Easter Bunny, Santa and all that... which it to say we lied about a bunch of stuff because it was the age appropriate thing to do. Which makes me question my lack of discussing the topic of god and afterlife.

Perhaps I should've just said "yes, there's a god and and all that stuff grandma and grandpa said" and let my kids grow out of it. Or not grow out of it.

I question my own actions. I worry I may be short circuiting their ability to form a faith based view of life just because I moved away from it. Even Homer Simpson holds his nose and drags the family to church but I doubt he's really a believer. In my mind this isn't about religion it's about parenting.

I do consider myself an atheist, and I agree with you fully.That kind of behavior makes my backhand itch. In all my time here, I've actively avoided talking people out of their faith. I don't hold my tongue when stating my own beliefs, but I sure as hell don't preach.

If any of my religious friends have ever felt like I do, then I apologize. It is not my intent.

Kamandi - Now you know of two who do not. I attempt to not practice the arrogance that it takes for such behavior.

My mother broke the news about Santa being fake when I was 5. Still waiting for someone to tell me leprechauns aren't catholic. It doesn't matter, you can't break me heathens! :cuss

Religion is a tricky thing when it comes to kids. I was made to go twice a week as a kid and I hated it. After college, I felt that my spiritual side was not being nurtured and started researching different faiths...and found myself back to where I had originally started as a kid.

The only advice I can give (which probably doesn't mean much as I don't have kids of my own) is just to keep an open mind with them. If they have questions about God, you could help them learn about different faiths. This is what some people believe...this is what other people believe....and it really is an individual choice and finding what speaks to you...what feeds your spirit and soul. It could just be taking a walk in the woods and being in awe of nature...or it could be listening to a Gospel Choir....or the rituals (the smell of incense, the processions, etc.) of something like Catholicism. Your kids will find their own path in time whether that is following a religion or not...as a parent, I think the best thing to do, is see this as an opportunity to show them what's out there and see what seems to speak to them...

And yet I never see people calling the religious 'know-it-alls' despite the fact that they constantly make statements that presume the existance of god as the reality :dunno

Atheists get this because to merely explain why one doesn't believe in god entails saying things that the religious don't want to hear or that 'sounds like' an attempt to persuade them to the same course.

And yet I never see people calling the religious 'know-it-alls' despite the fact that they constantly make statements that presume the existance of god as the reality :dunno

Atheists get this because to merely explain why one doesn't believe in god entails saying things that the religious don't want to hear or that 'sounds like' an attempt to persuade them to the same course.

Oh...I think religious followers get called other names. Sadly with religious discussions it is both sides trying to prove why they are right. Those who do not have faith in a higher power, can't grasp the idea that people believe in something that there is no proof exists....and faith followers have a hard time understanding why someone would not want to believe. It is very rare that one may change the mind of the other because what one chooses to believe, or not believe, is an individual choice. It's also a choice that one tends to passionately believe...which makes it difficult to have discussions without someone feeling offended or having to become defensive.

Oh...I think religious followers get called other names.

I went to a Catholic high school. Some of those names are deserved.

One of my friends got pregnant her senior year. She was treated like crap by the school administration. There were a few cool teachers but many of them were very judgmental. If christians want less abortion in the world the biggest thing they can do to change it is not treat young girls like sh-t during an unplanned pregnancy.

Sadly with religious discussions it is both sides trying to prove why they are right. Those who do not have faith in a higher power, can't grasp the idea that people believe in something that there is no proof exists....and faith followers have a hard time understanding why someone would not want to believe.

I consider myself agnostic rather than atheist. I'm not unwilling to believe, I simply find myself unable to. It's all just too far out. If there's a god it's not my fault he/she wired me up to need proof, for stuff to make sense. To anyone who would tell me I'm going to hell for not believing I say it's not my fault your god made me this way.

It is very rare that one may change the mind of the other because what one chooses to believe, or not believe, is an individual choice. It's also a choice that one tends to passionately believe...which makes it difficult to have discussions without someone feeling offended or having to become defensive.

All true. I honestly care very little about religion except that my children have reached a point where they are starting to ask the big questions about life and noticing there's the big sudden ending. As a dad I feel compelled to protect them from that fear. I wonder if it's not worth it to play along with what I see as the fantasy of eternal life after death.

Last edited:

Kamandi - Now you know of two who do not. I attempt to not practice the arrogance that it takes for such behavior.

I appreciate anybody who has the ability to step away from their passions and have an intelligent discussion. Too many people watch cable news debate shows and think that's how people should talk to each other.

I'm equally bothered by people who are religious but think they have the one true path. You don't get a golden Wonka ticket if you don't follow what they do.

Even if I entertain the idea with my kids I'm not going to expose them to any sort of organized religion.

Kamandi, you don't have to explain everything to your kids at this point. It's okay to say that you don't know or that you're unsure. Sometimes they're okay with that.

Kamandi, you don't have to explain everything to your kids at this point. It's okay to say that you don't know or that you're unsure. Sometimes they're okay with that.

My 7-year old is surprisingly accommodating of the idea that nobody really knows what happens once we die. She has lost some pets and a dearly loved aunt in her short life, but rather than dwell on 'where they are now', she is very much focused on her memories of them and how much they meant to her whilst they were alive. She finds comfort in the rituals of death, and all the ways that the living honour the dead. So yeah, all she really got out of me was, "I don't know - nobody really knows. If you work it out, let me know" and she's arrived at a pretty solid perspective all on her own.

But I am happy for her to be attending a Catholic school. I don't have anything against secular schooling, but I am happy that she is learning about community, rituals, and a code for how to lead a good life - values that, in Australian secular schools at least, are not often delivered very well or very effectively.

Good posts all. I really can't disagree with anything on the matter of life/death, religion/no religion, what to tell kids etc since my own last post.

this is just my observation. different atheists stem from different predispositions. some of them come from different "faith" based religions, varying from mild to moderate to wtf extreme fundamentalist. heck, some atheists didnt even come from any religious background. i find atheists coming from a fundamentalist "deconversion" background more prone to be the angry batshat aholes.

atheist or not, both camps has their own respective Aholes. its not exclusive to one group.

i try to avoid labels. but at this point of my journey, i think i could classify myself as an apathetic atheist.

*i dont know the OP nor his background. but hats off to him for wanting "faith". i come from a strong christian upbringing. losing one was a tough struggle for me. i think i underwent the stages of grieving. lolz

Religion was never drilled into me particularly strongly - such that I can't even remember a point where I decided I didn't believe in god, heaven or hell. There wasn't ever really a 'deconversion' otherwise I expect it would have felt like a significant, memorable time in my life.

Back