The Will Smith slaps Chris Rock thread - plus Sam Jackson gets his Oscar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Decades, yeah its true. They never really were worth much other than to the insiders who congratulate themselves.
Yup. I haven't watched the Oscars for years and I can't remember when was the last time I did. I think it was way back in 1978 when Star Wars was nominated.

I just didn't care enough to watch. I was busy doing other things like chasing women and partying. :monkey3
But if Disney can cancel the Loki cup yet can't cancel a man who actually slapped someone on live television, then the world is askew.
Smith is in talks for a Marvel movie of his own. If Disney goes ahead and greenlights a movie deal, that's going to cause The Mouse problems, IMO, and probably lost revenue.

The Mouse likes his monies. Don't mess with The Mouse's monies. :lecture

mickey-dollar-eyes.jpg

I would think Will Smith's value -- whatever it is exactly -- has diminished in some way by what he did. At least, I would hope so. But then again, other "celebrities" have gotten away with murder and they just climb higher.

Yeah, but Disney cares about it's "family values". You can't openly support someone who blatantly assaulted another person on live TV. That wouldn't send a very good message to the little impressionable children. They fire and erase people just for their views & thoughts. No way Disney gives him a MCU role now. His career and payday will be severely affected by one dumb lack of judgement due to his patronizing, demeaning & controlling wife.

This will definitely hurt his career for a while. Give it a few years though, and I'm sure Willy will be loved again.

Smith is in talks for a Marvel movie of his own. If Disney goes ahead and greenlights a movie deal, that's going to cause The Mouse problems, IMO, and probably lost revenue.

The Mouse likes his monies. Don't mess with The Mouse's monies. :lecture

mickey-dollar-eyes.jpg
No Gina Carano for D+ but we'd get Will Smith?:yuck

the final end of celebrity in the traditional sense (though yes, a fabricated concept long in decline due to social media) and the epitaph of "Hollywood."
See, you had me with this...
Seeing Will Smith - genuine, admired/loved, a warm family-friendly guy - do this is far more damaging/triggering than the despicable actions of Weinstein, Gibson and Spacey combined.
...but then you lost me here. I'd love to see an end to celebrity culture, but it should've happened years ago. That coffin is loaded with nails and this slap is, unfortunately, one of the smaller ones.

Last edited:
I agree with that. Its why I lump him in with Arnold for the same reason.

When you look at Arnie's roles tho, he's created several that are iconic. Will Smith has never carried a movie the way Arnie carried Terminator, Predator etc. And the comedies... compare Twins with MiB - arguably Arnie went toe-to-toe with Danny DeVito, but for my money it was Tommy Lee Jones who outshone Smith in MiB.

Arnie's like the full-strength beer to Will Smith's lo-carb light.

I always thought Smith was fine in his lane, but when he backed himself to play Ali it was obvious that this was a bloke who rated himself way above his talent.

When you look at Arnie's roles tho, he's created several that are iconic. Will Smith has never carried a movie the way Arnie carried Terminator, Predator etc. And the comedies... compare Twins with MiB - arguably Arnie went toe-to-toe with Danny DeVito, but for my money it was Tommy Lee Jones who outshone Smith in MiB.

Arnie's like the full-strength beer to Will Smith's lo-carb light.

I always thought Smith was fine in his lane, but when he backed himself to play Ali it was obvious that this was a bloke who rated himself way above his talent.

They don't have to be even to be comparable. Will is a better actor than Arnold, but Arnold is a better "star" than Will. But both share a certain insincerity -- a salesman's demeanor; always up, always amped, always doing the best they have ever done. Take away some of their star-power attributes and they'd just be the best car salesmen on a lot in San Diego.

They don't have to be even to be comparable. Will is a better actor than Arnold, but Arnold is a better "star" than Will. But both share a certain insincerity -- a salesman's demeanor; always up, always amped, always doing the best they have ever done. Take away some of their star-power attributes and they'd just be the best car salesmen on a lot in San Diego.

The key difference is Arnie has been the star of a few really good films, something Will Smith has never done.

No Gina Carano for D+ but we'd get Will Smith?:yuck

No Carano, and Smith is very doubtful. He really put his foot in it with that one. Lucky for him hes already stupid rich, and so he'll be fine.

Disney will cancel him, wait and see.

Its all the same to me. He's one of those actors who only ever appears onscreen as himself; you never see his character, you just know you are watching ***WILL SMITH!!!!eleventy-one!!!!!*** and it really takes me out of the moment. Not seeing him again would not be a loss.

Who Disney needs to court is Chris Rock. :devilish:

The traits outlined in bold are a recipe for success anywhere. If you possess those, that means you're putting in the time (even when you don't feel like it) to become better at what you do. And if you still lack skill after all that, at least the attitude will have won you a good reputation.

Forget famous actors, chefs, athletes, etc. Even in my day-to-day, the people who have that get-up-and-go, "where the hell do they get the energy?" vibe go far. Not to say you can't find success with other approaches, but this one's a common prescription for a reason.

Last edited:
IMO the Oscars have done it to themselves. their ratings have been slumping for the last several years.
Oscars ratings were somewhat consistent - within 10-15% of 40m viewers - pretty much from the late 1970s all the way up to the mid 2010s.

While Hollywood has been in decline for two decades (youtube, big screen TVs, corporate reliance on IP, etc etc - whole other conversation) the Oscars were mostly done in by the overall mass-movement away from broadcast over the past 5-7 years, which has impacted pretty all major televised awards shows, along with the old network model itself.

Oddly, the morally "cancelled" Golden Globes (whose demise Amy Schumer joked about at the 2022 Oscars) were the one awards show that bucked this trend, maintaining its total viewership in the last 5 years of its existence even as the Oscars and Emmys nearly halved their viewership.
I just didn't care enough to watch. I was busy doing other things like chasing women and partying. :monkey3
No Oscars in 40+ years? To quote Jimmy Kimmel from the other night, you've been living under a Chris Rock. :lol So you missed the slap heard around the world as it happened?

And Oscar parties notwithstanding, I reserved the other 364 nights of the year for chasing women and partying.:lecture

Last edited:
I like movies very much and go frequently.

I just don't care about the Oscars, the Grammys, or any other award shows.
See I'd just assume that people who loved a particular movie would be interested to see that movie's filmmakers/cast in a major show that year (and want to see it get recognition alongside other movies you liked that year,) but it just shows everyone's different I guess.

I have a ton of 1/6 Star Wars figs (and other scales) but my buddy, who's an equally (perhaps bigger) SW fan, has zero interest in SW figures of any kind and never has.

I can certainly understand people who separate Hollywood itself from the movies/shows it produces - like those who want to keep nightmares and dreams separate. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back