The Will Smith slaps Chris Rock thread - plus Sam Jackson gets his Oscar

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1F52D698-F3C5-40C1-A53B-A29D9D0B53E7.jpeg

I don't like celebrities so I've no dog in this fight but after the public cucking Smith's wife put him through, him slapping another man for a GI Jane joke comes off as incredibly hypocritical and as an attempt to show off to woman who has zero respect for him.

Imagine if Rock's only response was "damn, no wonder she cheated on you," and then just continued reading the nominees.

:lol :rotfl

The Oscars are such a silly thing, attended by a bunch of silly, self-important people. Even the way Will Smith did that was so carefully done with an eye toward how it would look on the camera. Horrible joke, which is surprising from a guy as talented as Chris Rock.

The Oscars are such a silly thing, attended by a bunch of silly, self-important people. Even the way Will Smith did that was so carefully done with an eye toward how it would look on the camera. Horrible joke, which is surprising from a guy as talented as Chris Rock.
I'm sure that the first ever all-black production team for the Oscars is thrilled that black on black violence will forever be linked to this particular broadcast.

Wasn’t there a skit where Regina groped 2 dudes!

Imagine a male presenter doing that to Scarjo!

Even if a female guest approved it she would be destroyed by the mob.
Crazy that the show opened with Amy Schumer telling her two black co-hosts "I'm here to represent white ladies who call the police when the two of you get too loud."

Fast forward to WHAM and "TAKE MY WIFE'S NAME OUT YO ****ING MOUF!"

I noticed that. I wish we could see the exact moment he went from laughing to deciding he had to do something absolutely insane.

People aren't objective about issues surrounding their families.

I'm not assessing right or wrong here as much as you just don't know how someone will react if they perceive a threat to their family and you don't know what they will assess as a threat to their family. Or what will trigger them. I went to elementary school with a girl who was molested by someone in her own family and she had a visceral reaction to any kind of contact at all. I'm not talking about someone in high school trying to grope her, I'm talking about even accidental in the hallway contact. If she ended up winning the Nobel Prize for something, she certainly wasn't going to be shaking anyone's hands. I don't understand other people's pain. Hence I try not to judge when I can. What I can judge is the way people generally react. Your character is defined by your choices but it's shaped by your reactions. Reactions tell you more about people deep down than any other type of interaction.

If I was Will Smith, I would have gotten my family together and just got up and left. Your power in this life is to walk away from anything. Then if I was still clearly upset about it, I'd confront Rock personally and in private, and if I was still unsatisfied, I'd probably beat him down. To be fair, my conception of a "beat down" is probably far different from what most people would visualize as a beat down.

I'm not in the "Violence Is Never The Answer" camp. I'm in the "Violence Is In The Toolbox. But Look For Other Practical Tools First" Treat violence like a tool, not as a gut check reaction. The main point is this - "Never hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement. " But that doesn't give people a pass from a beating or getting their throats cut if that's where things have to end up going.

My first instinct is that, besides Smith's general issue Hollywood narcissism, is the entire "If you want to go after someone, go after me, and not my family" though process.

How will it play out? Suburban women viewership will love it. The core audience of The View will love it. Hollywood is very woke and this could have all spun out even uglier if Jada Pinkett was white, or if Will Smith was white and known as a Conservative or if Chris Rock was LGBT or a woman.

Straight white guy hitting a straight black guy at the Oscars? ( Are we going to pretend that a situation like that isn't a whole other different animal?)

Straight known Conservative hitting a well known liberal person at the Oscars? ( Are we going to pretend that a situation like that isn't a whole other different animal?)

Straight white guy hitting gay black guy at the Oscars? ( Are we going to pretend that a situation like that isn't a whole other different animal?)

Two straight black guys fighting over the honor of a white woman at the Oscars? ( Are we going to pretend that a situation like that isn't a whole other different animal?)

Can you see how this could have all gotten far far uglier in the mainstream media once you hit certain identity politics trigger points.

Part of the problem here is there is a clear matrix of how much people are supposed to be offended based on Hollywood's own insane unspoken rules about which group should be protected and which groups should be more of a victim and in what order and which groups should always be persecuted.

Still think Smith's most powerful response would be to just get up and leave the Oscars period and never return. In fact, never go to another awards show or do another interview again.

Crazy that the show opened with Amy Schumer telling her two black co-hosts "I'm here to represent white ladies who call the police when the two of you get too loud."

Fast forward to WHAM and "TAKE MY WIFE'S NAME OUT YO ****ING MOUF!"
Apparently she was on immediately after THE SLAP and was like "Did I miss something? I was changing backstage and now it feels like there's a different vibe in the room". Ugh...

I'm disappointed in Chris Rock. A comedian as resourceful as he has seemed at times surely could have retaliated to the slap with a joke about another man slapping Jada's a$$.
Or: "Keep my wife's name out of your ****ing mouth!"

"Dude I wasn't making fun of your wife I was making fun of August Alsina's lover."

Or imagine if he just doubled down and kept pressing the original joke. "I bet she thinks that Nothing Compares 2 U now," (Sinead O'Connor reference)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back