The Thing re-imagined

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully the whole idea dies in pre-production hell just like the failed "Escape from N.Y." remake.

The report I read said it would be a prequel showing how the 'thing' got to earth. I would watch that, but wouldn't bother if it were just a straight remake

well, although it sounds a BIT more interesting that it is about the thing coming to earth, and how it infested the norweigan camp - i have little faith that it will be very good.

movies nowadays don't know how to establish tension - it's just about how much gore you can show, and how many jump scares you have. While the Thing did have its share of gore, it was all about the building of tension. the pivotal "testing the blood" scene would never have worked had they not established all that build-up.

Further, even if it is a prequel, i'm sure that all the Norweigans would speak english, and not even with any kind of accent. Speaking english is ok (although it would be cool if it were subtitled) - but alteast make them have accents! Although I haven't seen Valkyrie (but I will), i'm having a hard time getting past Tom Cruise playing a German with an American accent.

Anyhoo, after all this ranting, ofcourse I'll still see it, just without the expectations that I used to have for movies.

well, although it sounds a BIT more interesting that it is about the thing coming to earth, and how it infested the norweigan camp - i have little faith that it will be very good.

movies nowadays don't know how to establish tension - it's just about how much gore you can show, and how many jump scares you have. While the Thing did have its share of gore, it was all about the building of tension. the pivotal "testing the blood" scene would never have worked had they not established all that build-up.

Further, even if it is a prequel, i'm sure that all the Norweigans would speak english, and not even with any kind of accent. Speaking english is ok (although it would be cool if it were subtitled) - but alteast make them have accents! Although I haven't seen Valkyrie (but I will), i'm having a hard time getting past Tom Cruise playing a German with an American accent.

Anyhoo, after all this ranting, ofcourse I'll still see it, just without the expectations that I used to have for movies.

Agreed. It has the potential to be good if they don't ^^^^ about too much with whats already been established, but sadly we know theres little chance of that :rolleyes:

I saw an interview with Cruise the other day and he was asked about the accent, he gave some stupid answer but justified it by saying that he speaks a few lines in German at the beginning of the film. Gotta love Hollywood :lol

I never understand the anti-remake argument. :huh Even if it's crap it doesn't take anything away from the previous versions. I know people ^^^^^ed and moaned when Carpenter did his remake. It's fertile material, I welcome a return to that world and hope that it's as good as the other films.

I loved the first two. Though I think they should just let it alone, I'll probably see this if it looks half way decent.

Does anyone else see the trend that Carpenter movies are being remade by the truck load? Maybe it's Carpenter that wants all the money - he always ends up as an executive producer. I'll probably see it though i loved the first two.

I agree on almost every count! The only thing I don't agree with is the subtitles/language. In an action/horror movie I HATE subtitles. I spend the entire time reading and miss half of whats going on. And as for accents; uneeded. Assuming everyone is speaking the same language, does it matter WHICH language? For the most part its the content being spoken and not the langauge that matters. Only time all english is silly is if four different languages are being spoken and all of them come out english haha.

Most war movies made in the 40s and 50s had Germans with British accents.

Back