The Thing re-imagined

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batty

Nexus 6
Reaction score
What's the point?

Universal will add a new chapter to "The Thing," lining up another take on the paranoid horror classic most recently brought to the screen by John Carpenter in 1982.
Studio has set "Battlestar Galactica" exec producer Ron Moore to write the script and commercials director Matthijs Van Heijningen to direct the re-imagining.

New project borrows heavily from the John W. Campbell Jr. short story "Who Goes There," the basis of the Carpenter film and 1951 Howard Hawks original "The Thing From Another World."

It is set in a Norwegian camp and chronicles how the shape-shifting alien was first discovered and overcame the inhabitants of that camp. Strike Entertainment's Eric Newman and Marc Abraham are producing. David Foster will be exec producer.

Van Heijningen has shot blurbs for brands including Toyota, Pepsi, Heineken, Bud Light and Visa. He is also developing "Army of the Dead" at Warner Bros. with producer Zack Snyder, who also crossed from commercials to features by directing the Strike-produced "Dawn of the Dead" remake.

NOOOO-1.jpg

Why do they want to remake an already perfect movie? :monkey4

The only thing that gives me pause about this is the attachment of Ron Moore. If he does something other than just remake what has been done... this might be cool. But only because I trust Moore so much. If not for him, I would be 100% against this.

It's like them trying to remake ED, Why?? They are both great films. they just want to screw with it to make some cash and line their pockets. The movie will be crap not nearly as good as the original. But whatever.

Ron Moore did a great job re-imagining BSG, but that show had room for improvement. I don't think Carpenter's does. It's perfect.

Usually I don't care about all the crappy re-makes. I don't bother seeing them, BUT, it doesn't affect me in any way. However, this somehow seems worse than the typical remake. It isn't the story that is great, it is the atmosphere that Carpenter creates. You shouldn't remake a movie that is great because of how it was made, rather than what it was about. It's like saying, "boy, the Big Lebowski sure had a great story! Get me Paul W.S. Anderson on the phone right now!" But, whatever.

It's like them trying to remake ED, Why??
Agreed, the original can never be matched. It would be stupid to try

So this will be a prequel? Better then a remake. I just watched "The Thing" on HD-DVD, its one of the best transfers I've seen. I wonder if the blu-ray is as good?

Hummm.... if it's in the same league as Fog, they might try saving on money and stop right away. The remake of precinct 13 was okay though...
Still, The Thing can't be surpassed! It's a classic, and it's not cooler FX that will make it better! Evrything was in the scenario!

Well as long as its not a remake i will watch it. If its even half as good as the original it would be worth watching.

The report I read said it would be a prequel showing how the 'thing' got to earth. I would watch that, but wouldn't bother if it were just a straight remake

The thing to remember is that Carpenter's remake was a remake of The Thing in the first place. He just took it to another level and surpassed the original. Moore could take it in a wholly new direction as well, make it stand out from the other work. Maybe a prequel or sequel... that would be a cool idea.

Not too interested... as others have said its not a film that needs a remake, it is badass as-is :lecture

If a prequel or sequel, maybe, but no need to remake

Back