The THING Problems Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Al, that's good news indeed.

Heard back from Dusty tonight, looks like both she and Cindy are pretty snowed under with e-mails, they're still dealing with mails sent to them 10 days ago!!

should be hearing back on mine soon :D

The 2 heads were fine, it's the main statue they had to replace, and the base....with the same number though, not that I care about that, I just want Mr Grimm!

My Thing had a detachable leg though :)

Hey Al

When didi you originally send an e-mail to SS? I've sent 4 so far with no real news. After I sent the 3rd mail Dusty got back to me saying that Cindy was busy, but would get to my mail in a few days, but that was 8 days ago. I've just sent another mail tonight so lets see.......

good news about your replacement though :clap

1st e-mail I received was on the 21st of March, sent pics then had a reply on the 26th asking for pics of the ES number and the destroyed base, then another on the 31st because I forgot to smash up the body, that was my last contact until I received a message on the 7th stating a FedEx shipment was en route, I guessed it was my Thing because it weighed 30lbs. Also have 2 dios coming this week as well, need to invest in maybe a big Detolf or something like that.

I just heard back from Cindy tonight....I've got a replacement on it's way to me :D

Mine arrived today, it had so much extra foam and styro inserts it took a while to open the bugger. Surprisingly they replaced the entire thing, so I have 2 sets of heads now! Now where to put him :confused::D

Shame that on close inspection the actual paintwork is a bit sloppy, lots of grey/black in the cracks, however at a distance it looks fantastic. Still a good piece.

Mine arrived today, it had so much extra foam and styro inserts it took a while to open the bugger. Surprisingly they replaced the entire thing, so I have 2 sets of heads now! Now where to put him :confused::D

So . . . how much for a little head ?

OK, I think I have a unique "defect" to report; I received my THING EXC Tuesday, but didn't have time to open it until today (Friday). When I tried to place 'ol Ben on his base, I was surprised to find the left foot peg wouldn't fit in the corresponding base hole; my first thought was "Oh, I have the placement wrong." (the 2 foot pegs are of different circumference, one is thicker than the other) Uh, nope, I had it correct; either the foot pegs were put on the incorrect feet, or the base holes were placed in the wrong spots. Either way, my Thing won't fit on his base. Very disappointing.

To those who have this PF, how are the pegs configured on yours? On mine, the larger circumference peg was on the left foot, the skinnier peg on the right. Is this the correct placement, which would make my base wrong, or should the pegs be just the opposite?

Last edited:
OK, I think I have a unique "defect" to report; I received my THING EXC Tuesday, but didn't have time to open it until today (Friday). When I tried to place 'ol Ben on his base, I was surprised to find the left foot peg wouldn't fit in the corresponding base hole; my first thought was "Oh, I have the placement wrong." (the 2 foot pegs are of different circumference, one is thicker than the other) Uh, nope, I had it correct; either the foot pegs were put on the incorrect feet, or the base holes were placed in the wrong spots. Either way, my Thing won't fit on his base. Very disappointing.

To those who have this PF, how are the pegs configured on yours? On mine, the larger circumference peg was on the left foot, the skinnier peg on the right. Is this the correct placement, which would make my base wrong, or should the pegs be just the opposite?

I believe your holes in the base are off...mine were off a tad also...but I'm living with it...if yours is extreme...I would return it..maybe they would just need the base.

I believe your holes in the base are off...mine were off a tad also...but I'm living with it...if yours is extreme...I would return it..maybe they would just need the base.

It's not that the hole placement is a bit off, though; Thing's left foot peg won't even FIT into the corresponding base hole, which makes me believe either the pegs were affixed to the wrong feet, or the 2 different sized base holes are situated opposite of where they should be.

I've noticed some PF's foot holes are not wide enough, you kind of have to play with it to get it on the peg. I don't have Thing yet but that may be your problem, maybe the holes are in the correct place but they need a bit of a gently push to fit on the peg.

I've noticed some PF's foot holes are not wide enough, you kind of have to play with it to get it on the peg. I don't have Thing yet but that may be your problem, maybe the holes are in the correct place but they need a bit of a gently push to fit on the peg.

No. The problem is this: the pegs on Thing's feet are of 2 different circumferences. The peg holes on the base are likewise of 2 different circumferences. The large peg is meant to fit in the large hole, the small peg in the small hole, to achieve a snug fit. But the pegs & holes don't match up on mine; either the pegs are on the wrong feet, or the holes were placed opposite of how they should be. I tried several times to fit Thing's left foot peg into the correct base position, and it ain't goin' in. Conversely, the right foot peg, if placed in the correct position on the base, is too "loose" because the hole is too large to achieve a snug fit. Believe me, I wish it were as you suggest. I've had SS pieces before that had to be fiddled with to get them to fit their bases, but this isn't one of those cases.

Again, for anyone who has this piece, is the larger-circumference peg on the left or right foot? That would help me determine if it's the base or the figure that was assembled incorrectly.

Here are a couple pics that may illustrate the problem. It may be tough to distinguish from the photos, but the left foot peg is larger than the right; conversely, the right peg hole is larger than the left.

Back