The THING Problems Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Face it, the Chinese are out to destroy America, via exports. Whether it's contaminated dog food, lead Thomas the Train toys, lead painted toy anything (Dora, Mattell), contaminated toothpaste, contaminated blood/plasma, damaged SIMS, and unpainted Things, they're winning the war because we've outsourced everything to them. And what's worse, our US businesses apologize to them so as not to offend when we (consumers/gov't agencies) point out their lack of quality.

LOL :rotfl

Well I have to send a picture of the number on the underside of the base (something about the replacement statue might not fit the curent base...who knew?) and the base destroyed, they'll then send out a replacement base with the same edition number and a new Thing torso.

I imagine you'll be told much the same Mass.

hope so....I haven't had a response from Cindy yet.....:confused:

well...my thing went back to ss today. hopefully the replacement will be acceptable :(

well...my thing went back to ss today. hopefully the replacement will be acceptable :(

I would ask them to open it and inspect it before they ship it....could save you some trouble if it does arrive in bad shape again.

I thought normally SS got you to send them pictures of the smashed item, and they would send a replacement??

Nope, mine Thing was messed up too and I got a refund, but they never once asked for images of the product. Only a image of the edition size number on the bottom of the base.

I thought normally SS got you to send them pictures of the smashed item, and they would send a replacement??

Only for overseas customers as it's a bit expensive to have it shipped back to them.

hope so....I haven't had a response from Cindy yet.....:confused:

Sent my pics of the base number and the destroyed base on Thursday night, it's the first time I haven't been asked to destroy the statue, though with the leg completely ripped off, I can't see how much worse it could get. I should get my 3rd X-Men dio soon......not looking forward to it considering my track record from SS so far.

Different items may come from different factories, so no matter how much they work with a factory to get the QC under control, they have to start from square one with another factory.

And 10-12% is definitely unacceptable and I have a feeling that the SIM was greater than that. But I'm sure they are working on making sure nothing like that happens again.

Unfortunately most of these Chinese factories are used to making cheap toys or crap statues for grandmas. It's only in the last few years that high end collectibles have really taken off, but the factories still look at them as if they're making cheap toys.

I guess I've been very lucky - but in probably over 300 items from SSC I've had 2 returns. Sure, most of those were 12" figures - but it's still a pretty good average. My Thing is beautiful - no problems at all. At first I thought I might have had problems from some white specs on the base, but it turned out it was just styrofoam. But due to the craggy nature of the base they wouldn't just blow or brush off. I had to get a toothpick and dredge them out.

Sent my pics of the base number and the destroyed base on Thursday night, it's the first time I haven't been asked to destroy the statue, though with the leg completely ripped off, I can't see how much worse it could get. I should get my 3rd X-Men dio soon......not looking forward to it considering my track record from SS so far.

I originally sent pics to Cindy showing the damage but still haven't heard back from her. Is she on holiday at the moment?? Normally she's pretty good at getting back to me.

Perhaps I should just send another e-mail with the edition number on the base and ahe where it goes from there??

Hope you get your X-Men dio o.k. My 2nd dio turned up o.k. so fingers crossed.....

I don't think so, the last e-mail I received from her was last Wednesday, replied with pics on Thursday night....it's pretty rare to get a response on Friday nights, maybe they shoot off early to the pub? I sent a message to the main site complaining about the shoddy QC that I've had to put up with so far, haven't had a comeback as of yet.

If the next one is damaged I'm heading back to Ebay, at least you could ask the seller to have a look at the item first despite paying over the odds for it.

... Unfortunately most of these Chinese factories are used to making cheap toys or crap statues for grandmas. It's only in the last few years that high end collectibles have really taken off, but the factories still look at them as if they're making cheap toys.
Bold expertise Dave! You make it sound as if you have ever been there, and saw this for yourself. Are the Chinese unambitious, compared to the west?? I have seen outstanding workmanship coming from China. An other reason for these quality issues may be that the people are not payed well enough for what Sideshow expects them to do? Just a guess. There are several possibilities you see. Anyway, perhaps the upcoming Olympic games will bring a change to that country, IF they are not boycotted, that is!

Last edited:
Bold expertise Dave! You make it sound as if you have ever been there, and saw this for yourself. Are the Chinese unambitious, compared to the west?? I have seen outstanding workmanship coming from China. An other reason for these quality issues may be that the people are not payed well enough for what Sideshow expects them to do? Just a guess. There are several possibilities you see. Anyway, perhaps the upcoming Olympic games will bring a change to that country, IF they are not boycotted, that is!

Yeah it certainly doesn't help that the spirit of the world's competition and togetherness is SOILED by China beating up Tibetan people and MONKS!!!!!! :monkey4

Back onto the subject at hand how does anyone explain the quality of Hot Toys' products? As well as some of the Japanese products that are made in China. I don't think it's cause they've been "used to making cheap toys" but something more so lost in communication between the business here in the West and the workers in the East.

Yes, one can only assume what's going wrong. But , and I agree this is far-fetched, IF the SIM debacle was some sort of protest from one or more Chinese workers, they certainly got my attention!

Yeah it certainly doesn't help that the spirit of the world's competition and togetherness is SOILED by China beating up Tibetan people and MONKS!!!!!! :monkey4

Back onto the subject at hand how does anyone explain the quality of Hot Toys' products? As well as some of the Japanese products that are made in China. I don't think it's cause they've been "used to making cheap toys" but something more so lost in communication between the business here in the West and the workers in the East.

Hot Toys isn't making a lot of statues as far as I can tell. As for QC on the 12" - I'd imagine being on that side of the world and speaking the language helps. The factories may feel a greater sense of commitment for an Asian company that they wouldn't for a US company? That's sheer speculation of course.

I don't think so, the last e-mail I received from her was last Wednesday, replied with pics on Thursday night....it's pretty rare to get a response on Friday nights, maybe they shoot off early to the pub? I sent a message to the main site complaining about the shoddy QC that I've had to put up with so far, haven't had a comeback as of yet.

If the next one is damaged I'm heading back to Ebay, at least you could ask the seller to have a look at the item first despite paying over the odds for it.

Hey Al,

Rather than using evilbay why dont you use one of the etailers?, I use Mike Richards at Razors edge and have done for many years now, and I have to say I have never had a single damaged item from him.
Everything is checked before packaging and he doesnt just use the sideshow shipping box, thats inside an even larger box and surrounded by packing peanuts.
Excellent guy and service, cant recommend him highly enough, heres his site:
https://www.razorsedgecollectibles.com/catalog/

Hope it all gets sorted for you guys soon pal :duff
xx

Thanks Shell, don't get me wrong, the exclusives and flexpay are very strong incentives to shop with Sideshow, but the lack of quality control is just driving me nuts,

Well sent the pics of my broken up Thing tonight, apparently I could get a replacement shipped this week, so fingers crossed.

BTW anyone want a spare pair of Ben Grimm shorts for customization purposes? :D

Back