The statue and bust care cleaning and maintenance longevity thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamgroot

Super Freak
Reaction score
So im sure many people have asked this question before i wanted to start a thread because ive seen at time people selling busts and status that may have a crack, or it seems on some ive seen it looks like its peeling off, so im curious now and would like to ask long time collectors, or even the artists out there that work with the materials, what is the rule for a long lasting shelf life. I mean can these pieces from Sideshow, cinemaquette, etc last forever if properly cared for? Id love to know.

Im sure our collections can sustain damage from acts, but what if you have a new statue that sits in a room in a display or open air, will it remain intact and how do you keep it that way

Temperature ( hot and cold how it affects the statues, is there a set temp that is recommended ) i know to keep it out of sunlight but would love more detail
What kind of paints and materials are the manufacturers using to preserve the life of these statues
how to clean them
do they need to be in a display or is open air ok?

Open air is just fine. Just keep your statues in a normal and healthy indoor (living) environment. Not too damp or dry and with a regulated normal room temperature.

If you as a human being is doing fine so will your statues. So to speak. My point is that all the points I am mentioning above are even more important to you as a living human being, and that should be your main objective. ;) You statues will do just fine then.

For cleaning only use dry cloth and an airblower (like the rocket blowers used for cleaning cameras). You can also invest in a good neutral make-up brush (without any powder). Never use moist cloth or chemicals. Try to avoid blowing on the statues yourself since you risk spitting on them.

I use a genuine ostrich feather duster to dust my statues and busts, best dusting method i've ever used.

Question for collectors that store their boxes in the attic...have you had any problems with the styrofoam deteriorating due to the temperature changes? as attics can get very hot in the summer. Not going to store collectibles in the attic, just shippers, art box and styro. After much research it seems the styrofoam will not breakdown when being stored in the attic, but i just want some first hand experience.

I use a genuine ostrich feather duster to dust my statues and busts, best dusting method i've ever used.

Question for collectors that store their boxes in the attic...have you had any problems with the styrofoam deteriorating due to the temperature changes? as attics can get very hot in the summer. Not going to store collectibles in the attic, just shippers, art box and styro. After much research it seems the styrofoam will not breakdown when being stored in the attic, but i just want some first hand experience.
My loft looks like a warehouse. Yeah it gets really hot in the Summer & cold in winter up there.
I bag and seal all my boxes and never had a problem when pulling boxes down to use.

Back