The Plastic Fett POLL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does a Plastic Boba Fett Bother You?

• Yes, Boba Fett being made out of plastic will most likely lead to a cancellation.

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • No, I am sure everything will turn out fine and am not worried about it.

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • I am Josh so you already know my answer.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • It bothers me, but I'm not cancelling.

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolidLiquidFox said:
I think they are probably fed up of the "heavier = better" logic. :lol :lol

As like some of us with "lighter = less quality."

We've all payed huge prices for Sideshow pieces before. We know we're getting ripped off all the time, but we don't mind since they are some of the most quality collectibles around. Personally (and this is just a personal opinion, so don't give me crap for this) I don't mind if it's plastic. If they say that the use of plastic was needed to get the absolute best look for Fett they could, then "hooray." Saying that we're getting ripped off with it being plstic is like saying, "we've been ripped off before, but not this much before."

I'm personally only hoping for it to look the best it can. I buy these things because they are very presentable looking. I see it that I'm paying for the presentation, and not for the materials used. I'm not worried that someone is gonna look at my Fett and say, hey that looks lighter than the others, so it must be cheap. Of course, they can't see that it's light, and it certainly won't look cheap in any case.

IF you call me something like a lemming of Sideshow for backing them up on this, then screw you. Screw you for saying that I can't have my own opinion on the matter. I've always loved what they've given me, and I highly doubt Fett will be an exception.

DetroitSportsFan said:
Sgt. Taz from StatueForum got this pleasant email from Sideshow Customer Service:

Thank you for your e-mail to our Customer Service Department. Your feedback
is important to us and we appreciate that you took the time to reach us.

Our Boba Fett premium format figure is not entirely plastic. It is a mix of
polystone, different types of cloth and faux leather materials, and raw
fibers for the braided details. The armor was created with plastic materials
to maintain the metal engineered shape of the armor as it was seen in the
film and to insure durability for the collector in the years to come.

Obviously, since the armor was not cast from metal or polystone, which is
inconsistent in the final shape and has higher breakage possibilities, the
overall figure is lighter then what these heavier materials would have
resulted in.

We are not a butcher shop that charges by the pound, and therefore you
should not expect a discount. Rather you should be relieved that the lighter
weight will mean less expensive shipping for the collector. If the use of
plastic materials in this mixed medium premium format figure is an issue for
you, we suggest that you cancel your order with us immediately.

And in fairness here is his email:

"Hi, I was wondering if the pf Bobba Fett figure will get a price cut
since it's made of plastic. I, like many others, feel $330 for a plastic
figure is a little over the top to say the least. Please let me know so I know
wether to cancel or not. Thanks in advance!"

So the customer is the one to bring up cancelation, again it is good to hear both sides.

Then the email wasn't actually rude, and was right to bring up a comparison with a place that charges by weight, a butcher shop, and SS which does not charge by weight.

Brent72 said:
The whole "we are not a butcher shop that charges by the pound and therefore you shouldn't expect a discount" attitude comes off as rude and condescending to me.

I agree.

There have been other incidents in the past where SSC's CS reps were less than professional. I'm not going to bother sifting through all the threads on this board, but the bottom line is that the general sentiment was always to the effect of "if you're not happy, then please don't do business with us"

Even a particular SSC rep here has made that sentiment in their postings on at least one occasion. I won't name the rep because I feel it would be dragging them through the mud and I'm not trying to do that...just making a point that Sideshow can be somewhat rude at times.

And this debate is getting to be pointless because there are clearly two dominant, opposing sides of this issue, and neither will back down.

If you're fine with the situation, keep your pre-order and best of luck to you. I hope you get your money's worth.

If you're unhappy with the situation, then cancel your order and send an e-mail to Sideshow explaining your decision to cancel. Keep it professional. I think Sideshow starts seeing dissatisfied customer e-mails accompanied by CANCELLATIONS, then they may think twice in the future.

For the record, I would cancel my pre-order (if I had one) unless the price changed by at least $50. Plastic is not as high-end as polystone, and the consumer should not have to pay polystone prices. Yes, there may have been more R&D costs associated with this figure, but that's because their initial planning was apparently incorrect.

Why should the customer suffer from their design flaws? This Boba PF is not the only product Sideshow makes. They can just eat the extra R&D costs out of respect for the customer. They can spread out the costs over various other products (tack on an extra $5 or $10 on the next several PFs they make). Maybe stop giving out so many gift card codes and/or free merchandise for a little while?

Bottom line for SSC: You can lower the price because it isn't going to bankrupt you, and a "wag of the finger" to you for withholding the info for so long.

I think what made the email sound rude was the bolding of that one paragraph.... of course its going to sound rude, putting that paragraph in BOLD is like typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS :rolleyes:

xtj said:
I think what made the email sound rude was the bolding of that one paragraph.... of course its going to sound rude, putting that paragraph in BOLD is like typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS :rolleyes:

I think the original poster did that for emphasis. I doubt Sideshow sent it like that.

xtj said:

Yeah, bold and all capitals make me think someone is yelling.

xtj said:
I still thought it was rude because it belittled the concern of the customer. The end also basically stated in my opinion, without one ounce of regret, that if you don't like it, then piss off and leave us alone.

SSC_Nerd said:
As like some of us with "lighter = less quality."

IF you call me something like a lemming of Sideshow for backing them up on this, then screw you. Screw you for saying that I can't have my own opinion on the matter. I've always loved what they've given me, and I highly doubt Fett will be an exception.

Go back and read my responses to Irish Jedi. If anything, I am on your side.

I was referring to the email. That type of responses from a customer service rep must mean that they have been getting a few of these emails sent out to them. Heavier does not necessarily equal better. That's what I think.

Now, I give you one of these -->> :rolleyes: for your pointless rant.

Agent0028 said:
Well this is a bloody crappy week in the collecting world, delay on Cap (I know its for a good reason, but still sucks), Ugly-Wan from GG, and an all plastic PF...

You can add the fall of Majestic and the end of the Buffy & Angel 1/6th lines to this week.

At least its the end of the week - not much more time for any other bad news.

xtj said:

Yeah, it was so rude of me to point out the rudeness of the CS rep. :rolleyes:

SolidLiquidFox said:
Go back and read my responses to Irish Jedi. If anything, I am on your side.

I was referring to the email. That type of responses from a customer service rep must mean that they have been getting a few of these emails sent out to them. Heavier does not necessarily equal better. That's what I think.

Now, I give you one of these -->> :rolleyes: for your pointless rant.

Sorry if you minsunderstood, but I was in no way talking bad about you. I hate it when things get taken out of context. I was just using what you said as an example and following up on it.

But for calling it a useless rant (me expressing my opinion) screw you. You saying that baiscally says that my opinion on the WHOLE FREAKING SUBJECT does not matter.

Man, it's so tragic that this item is tearing apart the collecting community, Jabba had so many of us lit up with joy and getting along and now it's like verbal war has broken out. Maybe PF Fett has taken a turn for the worst, but Star Wars collecting as a whole is still fun and positive with other good things coming to us, and let's not forget the specialness of this year, if it weren't for a bold filmmaker 30 years ago, we wouldn't even be talking in these forums...

DetroitSportsFan said:
I love the "shipping is cheaper" line.

CS reps must have been trained to use that BS excuse.

I'd rather pay $25 to ship a superior product than $20 to ship an inferior product.

Its not any cheaper to ship O/S as weight is not a consideration.

Having trawled through this entire thread I thought that I would offer my own opinion.

I had Fett on order but cancelled due to finances. However, if I hadn't have cancelled before I would have done now.

I am shocked that this late in the game SSC decide to reveal it's a plastic body instead of Polystone.

But...

At least they did it now before this item starts to charge in order to give you time to cancel without paying out the $350.00.

I'm not going to get into the whole price cut thing but if I bought a car thinking that it would have all leather interior and two weeks before it was delivered they telephoned me to say 'actually we've decided to go with cotton for your interior but the car will be lighter. Oh By the way, we ain't changing the price' I wouldn't be very pleased.

Still, I'm sure that the piece will look fantastic it just won't have that 'Umph' that other PF's do when you move them to dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back