The Plastic Fett POLL

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does a Plastic Boba Fett Bother You?

• Yes, Boba Fett being made out of plastic will most likely lead to a cancellation.

Votes: 54 48.6%
  • No, I am sure everything will turn out fine and am not worried about it.

Votes: 40 36.0%
  • I am Josh so you already know my answer.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • It bothers me, but I'm not cancelling.

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOTRFan said:
No, it was always listed as having the ball-joint. :wave
Proving that they knew he would be plastic from the beginning. Neglecting to tell us the truth until we were all super psyched about Fett.

El Roranous said:
Proving that they knew he would be plastic from the beginning. Neglecting to tell us the truth until we were all super psyched about Fett.

If we really thought enough about it, I think we could have assumed it would be plastic (the armor anyway); I mean Vader was.

My guess is that Sideshow intended on making the body out of polystone with some form of plastic seam towards the top for the ball-joint. Something in R&D made this either impossible on a large scale, or cost ineffective.

The sky might not be falling, but Sideshow's credibility certainly will if they keep pulling stunts like this.

Brent72 said:
The sky might not be falling, but Sideshow's credibility certainly will if they keep pulling stunts like this.

Making sure you get an item that's intact and looks great is a stunt?:confused: :rotfl :rolleyes:

jlcmsu said:
Making sure you get an item that's intact and looks great is a stunt?:confused: :rotfl :rolleyes:

No, but cutting corners and overcharging for cheap materials certainly is.

jlcmsu said:
Come on, you know that Sideshow knew about plastic Fett ages ago and they withheld this information from us. Now, right before the eve of his ship date we find out that he is made entirely out of plastic, weapon, body, armor...everything except the clothing. Furthermore, Sideshow isn't even straight up about it and doesn't have this info on Fett's product page, you have to see the production blog. To say Sideshow didn't think this was going to be a big deal is a misconception. They are a business and will analyze what they can get away with.

Brent72 said:
No, but cutting corners and overcharging for cheap materials certainly is.
I'd wager a guess that R&D was pretty expensive for this piece. I can't imagine SS went straight for the plastic. I could see them expirimenting with all sorts of metal/polystone/plastic combinations that just wouldn't be a factor with other PF's. I wouldn't pay $325 for the end result but I don't think SS is necessarily gouging people for keeping the price.

Of course its easier for me to be so reflective toward the Boba Fett PF. If Captain America doesn't turn out to be a heavy piece of polystone man-hero I'm going to be flipping livid. :lol

Khev said:
I'd wager a guess that R&D was pretty expensive for this piece. I can't imagine SS went straight for the plastic. I could see them expirimenting with all sorts of metal/polystone/plastic combinations that just wouldn't be a factor with other PF's. I wouldn't pay $325 for the end result but I don't think SS is necessarily gouging people for keeping the price.

Of course its easier for me to be so reflective toward the Boba Fett PF. If Captain America doesn't turn out to be a heavy piece of polystone man-hero I'm going to be flipping livid. :lol
They better not pull this ***** with Cap or I and many others will be livid. Imagine, a plastic Cap:monkey4

El Roranous said:
Come on, you know that Sideshow knew about plastic Fett ages ago and they withheld this information from us. Now, right before the eve of his ship date we find out that he is made entirely out of plastic, weapon, body, armor...everything except the clothing. Furthermore, Sideshow isn't even straight up about it and doesn't have this info on Fett's product page, you have to see the production blog. To say Sideshow didn't think this was going to be a big deal is a misconception. They are a business and will analyze what they can get away with.

They probably did know it a while back but honestly I don't think they would assume so many of you would freak out and act so crazy. I think they thought you all would be happy to have a high quality Fett coming that wouldn't break during shipping. Guess that's not good enough for some of you but that's life I suppose. Some can never be pleased. They need to say it on the product page that the armor and body is made out of plastic? Does it say the body and armor is made out of polystone? I'd have to check. If it doesn't then there is no need to say either way.

Khev said:

Thats what I would guess to since they seemed to have tried everything.

Josh, we're all SW fans here,therefor fanatical by nature. You can't honestly think that SS would insult us by thinking we wouldn't care what material was used in one of the most anticipated products they'll ever produce.

jlcmsu said:
They probably did know it a while back but honestly I don't think they would assume so many of you would freak out and act so crazy. I think they thought you all would be happy to have a high quality Fett coming that wouldn't break during shipping. Guess that's not good enough for some of you but that's life I suppose. Some can never be pleased. They need to say it on the product page that the armor and body is made out of plastic? Does it say the body and armor is made out of polystone? I'd have to check. If it doesn't then there is no need to say either way.
It may not say either on the product page but when one thinks of a Premium Format figure from Sideshow there are expectations. One of these expectations would be that the statue itself was constructed using polystone. So since it is not, I think that the page warrants a change because there is deviation from the expected.

Darth Loki said:
Josh, we're all SW fans here,therefor fanatical by nature. You can't honestly think that SS would insult us by thinking we wouldn't care what material was used in one of the most anticipated products they'll ever produce.

Right some are way too fanatical and need to take some doggy downers I swear! How's SS insulting you or anyone by what material they used? It's not like this is some cheap looking wal-mart special. Look at the pics it looks ****ing awesome! You cannot tell what material is used at all.

El Roranous said:
It may not say either on the product page but when one thinks of a Premium Format figure from Sideshow there are expectations. One of these expectations would be that the statue itself was constructed using polystone. So since it is not, I think that the page warrants a change because there is deviation from the expected.

I agree 100% with this. I wonder how many non-freaks even know about the production blog?

El Roranous said:

So should SS have said Vader's Helmet is plastic? Frodo's Sword? What about anything on Lurtz that might be? How about anything on any other PF piece?

Why so pricey if it's made from plastic? Does plastic and polystone, and the work to produce them and make them look good, cost the same? I didn't order this regardless, just wondering. If it looks good, theeeeeeen it's probably worth the price. Unless the production cost of plastic vs. polystone is way different, than I'd be ticked.

jlcmsu said:
Right some are way too fanatical and need to take some doggy downers I swear! How's SS insulting you or anyone by what material they used? It's not like this is some cheap looking wal-mart special. Look at the pics it looks ****ing awesome! You cannot tell what material is used at all.

Is it really too much to ask that Sideshow use higher quality materials on a "PREMIUM FORMAT" figure, especially at the price point they're asking? This isn't a $75 Koto statue, it's a $325 piece with the term "PREMIUM" in the title. You can spin it any way you want, but it doesn't change the fact that they're definitely pulling the old "bait and switch" by telling everyone about this at the last minute.

PosterBoyKelly said:
Why so pricey if it's made from plastic? Does plastic and polystone, and the work to produce them and make them look good, cost the same?

Again, NO.

I have worked with both materials and Polystone is definitely a heavier and more costly material every time. Sideshow's decision to use ABS (and for the zillionth time, that is not what I am questioning here) absolutely cut production costs on this piece.

But for them to announce it at this point (and on the Production Blog) without a change in price is in bad bad bad form and I for one feel taken advantage of and will CANCEL if the price stays the same.

jlcmsu said:
So should SS have said Vader's Helmet is plastic? Frodo's Sword? What about anything on Lurtz that might be? How about anything on any other PF piece?
There are very major differences between the minor usage of the different materials used on those statues you have listed as opposed to the completely plastic Boba. Josh, what if when you do receive Boba, he looks cheap, he feels cheap and you are all around disappointed by the use of plastic because you can tell? However, you had no clue and would have canceled because you felt it's useage was a bad idea. I think that the information should be distributed well past a small production blog. Consumers deserve to be informed before taking a plunge and since Boba is quite different from the average or normal PF- we need the info on his product page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back