The Official "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" movie thread *SPOILERS*

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Official "The Hobbit" movie thread

Interesting news. This fellow Matthew Goode has stated that he has auditioned for the role of Bilbo:

429149625_1690986889_Matthew-Goode---SDCC-2008.jpg

https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2010/02/23/35322-matthew-goode-auditions-for-bilbo-baggins/

Obviously he wasn't chosen if he is spilling THOSE beans. :)

Matthew Goode was a little hard to stomach in Watchmen, and I would much rather see Martin Freeman get the role. He is perfect for Bilbo, and looks quite like Ian Holm!

Matthew Goode was a little hard to stomach in Watchmen, and I would much rather see Martin Freeman get the role. He is perfect for Bilbo, and looks quite like Ian Holm!

How many more times am i gonna go "AAAARGGHHH!!! NOOOO!!!!"

Looking like Bilbo doesn't mean he'll be good at PLAYING Bilbo. He doesn't have the 'range'.

Martin Freeman definitely has the range! I think he brings a lot to "The Office" other than mugging for the camera. The Tim/Dawn storyline packs a lot of emotion, and Martin carries this well. I think it goes way beyond looking like Ian Holm, but has a lot of the same characteristics in his acting style.

Ian has a little bit of a darkness to him that I haven't seen with Martin Freeman - check out The Sweet Hereafter for an example - but I don't know that this would be required for Bilbo.

to each his own though!

Looking like Bilbo doesn't mean he'll be good at PLAYING Bilbo. He doesn't have the 'range'.

People said the same thing about Elijah Wood...how'd that work out. :monkey3

Hasnt got the range :confused: I've seen him in quite a few things and hes a very good actor. He'd nail it as Bilbo.

The Matthew Goode is 6' 2
The advantage of casting hobbit actors around the 5'7 mark is that they did not have to use any forced perspective tricks when in scenes with 6' John Rhys-Davis.
I am sure when it comes to choosing Bilbo, they will want an actor shorter than the Dwarves

Last edited:

The Matthew Goode is 6' 2
The advantage of casting hobbit actors around the 5'7 mark is that they did not have to use any forced perspective tricks when in scenes with 6' John Rhys-Davis.
I am sure when it comes to choosing Bilbo, they will want an actor shorter than the Dwarves

QFT :lecture Which is why they will prolly be looking into taller actor for the dwarves. I just hope the Stephen Fry/Tom Waits rumor is true. They would be awesome in The Hobbit!

Stephen Fry would kill as a Dwarf!!!

And I think that height will factor into casting, as they got away with a lot of perspective gags by having the hobbit actors simply being shorter than Gimli!

Synopsis of the second part of The Hobbit.

This film will be a prequel to the first Hobbit film (itself a prequel to The Fellowship of the Ring). It will begin not long after the first destruction of Sauron by Isildur, shown in the first Lord of the Rings film. Since the One Ring had not been destroyed, the Elves thought that someday Sauron may return. 1000 years after the Last Alliance of Men and Elves at Mount Doom, a shadow of fear returned to the forest of Mirkwood in the guise of the Necromancer, ultimately revealed to be Sauron. He established power at his stronghold in the south of the forest known as Dol Guldur. Around the same time Maiar from Valinor came to Middle-Earth in the guises of old sage figures (Sauron and the Balrogs are also Maiar). They would become know as wizards, chief among them were Saruman and Gandalf. We will also find out that Gandalf is also a ring-bearer, being given one of the Elvin rings of power, Narya, which is akin to the rings worn by Galadrial and Elrond. Once they reveal themselves, the wizards and the elven leaders from the White Council contest the growing power of Dol Guldur. The film ends with Sauron being defeated, but all is going exactly as planned since the One Ring has heard its master's call. It needs a new host. Perhaps a hobbit will do.

That sounds terrible to me! Why would you expand the Hobbit to include a prequel that would only serve to really confuse the crap out of audiences unfamilliar with the books?

Where is this rumor coming from?:confused:

Agreed. This rumor sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

I got this from the One Ring. net

Rumors The Hobbit might be filmed in 3-D have been around for some time and dismissed often by Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson . Even last fall, del Toro stated on the TORN message boards:

“As a co-writer and director of this film … let me be very clear one more time: we are not talking about 3D, we are NOT writing the screenplay for 3D right now.

However, he did add this caveat:

If after “Avatar” the market may change and demands are put upon us, etc that is in the future. But if such things happen and we start discussing 3D down the line, I’ll let it be know here at TORN because that’s the proper way of doing things.

True to his word, del Toro has now added an update via the TORN forum:

I wouldn’t read much on it just yet, but now, after all this time, after AVATAR doing the Box Office it did, we have had enquires from above about The Hobbit being in 3-D. No impositions or heavy leaning. Just enquires. Just fulfilling my promise to let you all know if discussions ever started. Cheers, GDT

So while there is no confirmation on filming in 3-D, there is certainly discussions under way.

I tried to find something on that other rumor about the first part, but I got nothing.
As far as I know The Hobbit movies are just an expansion on the book, nothing else

Synopsis of the second part of The Hobbit.

This film will be a prequel to the first Hobbit film (itself a prequel to The Fellowship of the Ring). It will begin not long after the first destruction of Sauron by Isildur, shown in the first Lord of the Rings film. Since the One Ring had not been destroyed, the Elves thought that someday Sauron may return. 1000 years after the Last Alliance of Men and Elves at Mount Doom, a shadow of fear returned to the forest of Mirkwood in the guise of the Necromancer, ultimately revealed to be Sauron. He established power at his stronghold in the south of the forest known as Dol Guldur. Around the same time Maiar from Valinor came to Middle-Earth in the guises of old sage figures (Sauron and the Balrogs are also Maiar). They would become know as wizards, chief among them were Saruman and Gandalf. We will also find out that Gandalf is also a ring-bearer, being given one of the Elvin rings of power, Narya, which is akin to the rings worn by Galadrial and Elrond. Once they reveal themselves, the wizards and the elven leaders from the White Council contest the growing power of Dol Guldur. The film ends with Sauron being defeated, but all is going exactly as planned since the One Ring has heard its master's call. It needs a new host. Perhaps a hobbit will do.

Comes from imdb.com

Back