The next Batman movie approach.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the spirit of joel schumaker has manifested.

Whatever. I'm not bringing this outside the real world Nolan style. My Riddler would be as far from that p.o.s. that Carey did as possible. Also, "schumaker vs nolan" is about execution and style, not premis of the story.

Wor-Gar, Riddler would be completely different from the Joker because he would be right out there in public and all of Gotham would fall in love with him as opposed to fear him, as they did with the Joker or Scarecrow. Thats why a likable actor like Tony Shalhoub would be brilliant. He cosies right in with the people totally passive aggressive and turns all of Gotham on Bruce for his own gains. He can be a false prophet type character pretending to carry the Harvey Dent torch.

It also creates a story where Batman has to utilize his detective role in exposing the truth more so than just being a ninja with toys. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I don't know how they could get Ivy to work in the real world concept myself, unless they remove the plant powers and just make her a hardcore eco-terrorist. But by doing that you lose a lot of the charm of the character

About this whole Robin thing, something did cross my mind.

Now, I haven't been reading the Batman comics for sometime and when I was collecting Batman (Jim Aparo art) and Detective Comics (Norm Breyfogle art) during the early 90s, there wasn't much mention about Gordon's son.

In fact, I had no idea he had a son until I read it on Wiki!

Now, what got me thinking was several scenes in TDK where Gordon's son appears in several scenes.

1) After the Tumbler/Batpod chase scene ending with Joker's arrest - Gordon goes home and tucks James Jr. into bed. Jr asks Gordon "did Batman save you?" and Gordon replies something along the lines of "Actually, this time I saved him".

2) At the end when the Gordon's family is held hostage by Two-Face. The poor kid is traumatized by a maniac with only half a face at gun point. Then, he watches the maniac "fall to his death" followed by Batman after Batman saves his life.

Next, Batman goes on the run, and Jr. asks Gordon "Why is he running? He didn't do anything wrong"

What if, Jr. thinks of Batman as a role model of sorts (having saved his life as well as Batman's "relationship" with Gordon) and decides to help Batman in TDK, becoming the next Robin! What a twist! :p

But think about it - in The Batman (animated series) there's Batgirl (who's Gordon's daughter) and there's Robin who looks to be younger than Batgirl/Barbara.

Of course its just speculation spawned from my wild imagination :D

Everyone seems concerned that Chris Nolan won't do a Bats 3 as he has not signed a contract. Look what happens when the director signs a contract. They loose control. Warner Brothers took control of Batman and Robin from Joel Schumacher, and almost killed the franchise forever The Suits always want more, and bigger is better. They did the same to Sam Raimi and Spiderman 3 when they forced Venom into Sam's script. Not being under contract to Warner Bros. gives him more freedom. I think Chris Nolan has every intention to do Bats 3, but is making sure he keeps control.

I think you can pretty much rule out Johnny Depp as Riddler. He is quoted as saying he woundn't be cought dead in a DC film. It seems Marvel's Iron Man has clouded his vision. Must be the limited vision of the costume.

I think you can pretty much rule out Johnny Depp as Riddler. He is quoted as saying he woundn't be cought dead in a DC film. It seems Marvel's Iron Man has clouded his vision. Must be the limited vision of the costume.

I'm hoping The Riddler isn't the next villian. Assuming the quote is accurate, I hope this squashes Riddler rumors. Not that Depp is the only artor to play the character :eek:

The whole "ward" idea is a totally outdated concept and only serves to make Batman look like a pedophile. And, honestly, I think they should just skip "Robin" all together and start out as Nightwing.

That wouldn't make any sense to introduce Nightwing before Robin.
Graysom first becoming Robin before becoming his own man in Nightwing would be pivotal to his story, by skipping it you're remove alot of things concerning his connection and relationship to Batman. If you're going to remove that then you might as well don't bother having Robin altogether.
What if, Jr. thinks of Batman as a role model of sorts (having saved his life as well as Batman's "relationship" with Gordon) and decides to help Batman in TDK, becoming the next Robin! What a twist!

But think about it - in The Batman (animated series) there's Batgirl (who's Gordon's daughter) and there's Robin who looks to be younger than Batgirl/Barbara.

Of course its just speculation spawned from my wild imagination

Thats to much of a drastic change, that would be basically the same thing Schmacher did with Batgirl's character in the infamous Batman and Robin. Making her Alfred's niece and changing her from Barbara Gordon to Barbara Wilson, not to mention the whole point of taking Robin in (Grayson in particular) would be the fact that Grayson's
history mirror's Bruces.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of Bane. The only way he could defeat Batman was because of his juice. Without it Bats could take him on with ease. Plus he took on Batman after he had been sick and taking on all of arkhams inmates, he cheated and didn't take him on in his prime. I never really respected Bane as a villain.

I'd kill to see Riddler. IMHO he works the best for the third and final act of the Nolan trilogy.

i have said it before, but Guy Pearce as the Riddler seems like the perfect fit. abandon the typical question mark costumed caricature and imagine an intellectual suspense thriller as different from TDK as BB was...

Edward Nigma is the head of the task force created to solve the mystery of the Batman, but in doing so, weaves a puzzle that not only holds the answer to Bruce Wayne's secret, it threatens the vary existence of Gotham City.

i have said it before, but Guy Pearce as the Riddler seems like the perfect fit. abandon the typical question mark costumed caricature and imagine an intellectual suspense thriller as different from TDK as BB was...

Uh. Thats pretty much what I was saying but you called it "spirit of Joel Schumaker", the only difference is that I had a different actor as the Riddler and a different plot point to set up the suspense.

yeah that sounds good i just dont want to see a joker wanna be, schizo riddler, i just want a logical, cold riddler persona tormenting batman

I don't want Jim Carey crazy laughing hysterical Riddler, but I think "cold" is a bit too Ledger Joker.

Seriously, if the Riddler was set up as almost a likable character (highly quirky and obsessive like Tony Shaloub's "Monk" character) that ingratiates himself to Gotham with a twisted sense of enjoyment in fooling everyone while he's really out to ruin the city and Wayne Industries, that would be the true Ed Nigma.

That wouldn't make any sense to introduce Nightwing before Robin.
Graysom first becoming Robin before becoming his own man in Nightwing would be pivotal to his story, by skipping it you're remove alot of things concerning his connection and relationship to Batman. If you're going to remove that then you might as well don't bother having Robin altogether.

Thats to much of a drastic change, that would be basically the same thing Schmacher did with Batgirl's character in the infamous Batman and Robin. Making her Alfred's niece and changing her from Barbara Gordon to Barbara Wilson, not to mention the whole point of taking Robin in (Grayson in particular) would be the fact that Grayson's
history mirror's Bruces.

Well, what's wrong with drastic? Killing off Ras Al Ghul and Two-Face wasn't too drastic even though they both have bigger plotlines in the comics. Robin was created following the hype of Disney's Peter Pan. That doesn't fit this gritty modern day Gotham IMO. I would rather not have Robin at all. I assume Mattel is going to start applying pressure to have more characters for more toys. TDKs main stream toy line was weak at best. So if you have to have Robin, at least make him respectable because the whole circus/Peter Pan thing is outdated. He needs an updated origin.
Speaking of Batgirl, she's, what, six in this movie? So Batman is in his mid 40's when Batgirl appears?
And actually, changing Batgirl to ALfred's neice didn't bother me near as much as the pop-out ice skates on the batsuit and Bane's characterization did.

Uh. Thats pretty much what I was saying but you called it "spirit of Joel Schumaker", the only difference is that I had a different actor as the Riddler and a different plot point to set up the suspense.

it was the combo of this sentence...

"Add a female villian (probably Catwoman) as a potential love interest and a third villian (probably Bane) as Riddlers "strongman" for action scenes and you've got a film."

and the idea of the dude from Wings playing the Riddler that made me think of schumaker...

Tony Shaloub is a pretty good actor. As for the villians sentence, I think you'll find them necessities no matter who directs. Unfortunately, you can't have an all intellectual superhero movie and unfortunately, you can't have a superhero movie without a chick.

If they make Riddler, even Guy Pearce, a tough fight then Nolan will have really messed up the character.

your Schumaker vibe is peeking through again!

of course you can have an intellectual superhero movie and you most certainly can do so without a chick! why limit oneself to the constraints that Hollywood has continued to push? the loss of Rachel Dawes helps fuel a character such as Bruce Wayne... his anguish needs to be savored and further explored... Alfred, Fox, and Gordon may not be token chicks, but they certainly provide the needed heart to Wayne's character... The Riddler would allow one a further insight to Wayne's cognitive and detective skills (imagine Nigma as so absolutely deviously brilliant and obsessed to figuring out the riddle as to who the Batman is that he creates his own tapestry of mysteries... jeopardizing the citizens and city of Gotham... and the very people Wayne is closest to)... add to this Gotham's newly flourishing underworld... soured vigilantes and citizens and a city more threatened by its protector than embraced.

I'd love to see them not do the chick thing, but its not reality in Hollywood unfortunately.

Develope what you mean by Riddler jeopardizing the citizens by trying to figure out the Batman riddle. I don't understand.

I think it makes more sense for the Bruce to use his detective skills to figure out the Riddler's riddle not the Riddler trying to figure a riddle.

Nigma, even beyond his official capacity of leading the task force to bring the Bat to justice, is obsessed with discovering the ultimate riddle... Batman's identity. Nigma's alter ego, The Riddler, sees no trap too small or no collateral damage too large in order to decipher the mystery...

My choice for the Riddler:

jackie-earle-haley.jpg

MV5BMjQ5Mzk2ODM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjk1NTcyMQ@@._V1._SX295_SY400_.jpg

Jackie Earle Haley could pull of the creepiness and intelligence of the Riddler.
Just shave the goatee, and grow his hair in a bit...and whala instance genius.

Back