The Marvels

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on now.... It did set a new all time high record.... :slap

The Marvels Had The Biggest Opening Weekend Ever For A Black Female Director. Despite its disappointing performance, The Marvels has given Nia DaCosta a new box office record, as its opening weekend marked the best opening figure for Black female director in cinema history.

Imagine how proud she must be.... After all, being the 1st is far better and more self gratifying than being the best or highest grossing. She deserves the highest of praises.... :monkey3

Marvel's first Black female director shatters box office records with 'The Marvels'

I'm sure many people are very proud/happy with her casting, I mean directing choice... :lol

Not like setting all these other records could possibly be a negative on her career..

• The lowest opening for the franchise...
  • The largest second week drop...
  • The fastest MCU film to fall out of the top 5 at the U.S. Box Office...
So many wins for her blooming career... :yess:

Last edited:
I'm sure many people are very proud/happy with her casting, I mean directing choice... :lol
So many wins for her on blooming career... :yess:
It's win for me to add the "AVOID LIST":rolleyes:;
just another name like Malcom Spellman (the showrunner of the limp TFWS and the now-being-rewritten Cap #4 :pfft: ) and Boden and Fleck, who managed to retch out CM #1 (and disrespect the character of Nick Fury and the Avengers, because they, too, just wanted to "have fun":pfft:).

Imagine how proud she must be.... After all, being the 1st is far better and more self gratifying than being the best or highest grossing. She deserves the highest of praises.... :monkey3

Marvel's first Black female director shatters box office records with 'The Marvels'

Not like setting all these other records could possibly be a negative on her career..

• The lowest opening for the franchise...
  • The largest second week drop...
  • The fastest MCU film to fall out of the top 5 at the U.S. Box Office...
So many wins for her on blooming career... :yess:
Might as well celebrate the space shuttle Challenger for having the fastest deceleration in history during mid flight. :slap

Well lets break down his statement because technically he’s not wrong.

Female action stars like Leia, Ripley, Lewis (Robocop), and Connor are from an era considered “dark” times for women rights yet everyone loves them, literally everyone loves them.

Even left wing pundits have come out and said that Brie messed up badly with her public relations responsibilities to her employers no different than Gina Carano and the recent no name actress from the Scream franchise and who can forget dumb dumb Jenniffer Lawrence female action star comment debacle AND the most famous cringe female power comment from Elizabeth Banks to Steven Spielberg :slap

Grace Randolph a feminist recently destroyed Brie’s public relations comments from a business perspective. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Regarding black women leads unfortunately again he’s not wrong they are not box office draws that a studio would want to invest hundreds of millions.

Black Panther 1 was a rare success not soley dependent on black women though.

Regarding Brie well he’s right again she is hot lol

Remember Hollywood is all about business they just hide behind fake social justice they’re the worst offenders against protecting children and women just look at “rapey” Harvey and Pascal’s emails about women’s salaries.

Fair wages you ask, Hollywood full of union busting executives.

Everyone wants to move forward with actual empowerment in an organic and natural manner that respects the narrative of the story and established franchises.

Blade 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

Blade 3 is a guilty pleasure lol

I never EVER want to see a white Blade though.

Natalie Portman literally just came out this week and said that children should never be subjected to Hollywood people because their lives are in serious danger if parents are not involved with oversight!!!
It’s the mere fact that this generation seems to forget history or it’s not goood enough.

Wahhhhh we had no strong female game protagonist!
Ummm Lara Croft and samus? Lara pretty much was a PlayStation icon?
Wahhhh but she’s for the male gaze.
Ok.

We need more black characters
Ok well here is a slew of black characters that we haven’t touched yet not to mention who need reboots like blade.

No I want black Superman or black wolverine

What?
How come you men don’t support the marvels
Also they also say
This movie wasn’t made for men so back off!

Like make up your mind on what you want! Most people I noticed just love to whine and cry on the internet.

But anyway I just have no interest in capt marvel or her world besides rogue taking her power. They really tried pushing her pre endgame but that kinda seemed to back fire. Sorry zurdo.
I think the draw of the first movie being a prequel and leading up to a huge event is what made the first film gain so much money. Idk.

Yeah, I really don't get why these companies make these big budget movies available for streaming so quickly.

It's a really good question you are asking. The faster you get the film to streaming, the more you can take advantage of the marketing rollout and those costs that were intended for the original theatrical release. For some films, we are talking over a 100 million in expenses there.

Also the various competing streaming services are starved of new content. They have to justify the continued subscription money per month by continuing to offer something new. If you keep paying each month, and the content never changes, then why should you stay subscribed? Now in the old days, when basically everything was under one banner ( old Netflix ) , that was different. You were paying one time for mostly everything PLUS some rollouts of original content like House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black.

Particularly Disney/Marvel/Star Wars type stuff, there needs to be support for the back end merchandising. The "life cycle" of movie related merchandising is pretty predictable at brick and mortars. They only have so much space and if it doesn't sell, eventually they need to resell it to clearance outlets, to make room for new stock. While existing agreements can hold a certain amount of shelf space and some feature positions and end caps for a while, it can't stay forever. But other than Baby Yoda/Grogu and Frozen, nothing that the Big Mouse has done more recently has really turned into a merchandising monster.

Do you remember Sears? This is very close to the Sears problem. Right before Sears died off, it tried to be all things to all people all at once. And they spent an ungodly amount to try to do it. Except most people don't shop like that. The closest approximation is to have a Target in a mostly rural area with literally nothing else around it. The Big Mouse isn't just trying to make a film, they are trying to make broad based content that supports several different distinct entities at the same time. While also adhering to the ESG mandate of it's major investors on the back end.

The sheer volume of content out there, original content, is staggering. Also the production quality is very high. If you watch some old mid 90's episodes of The X Files, that level of production and visuals was cutting edge. No one was making television at that technical level, with that yearly volume, consistently, anywhere else. But if you look at it now, while it looks more than passable in current times, you can see the generational leaps in things like The Last Kingdom, Vikings, Handmaid's Tale, etc, etc. If you don't catch the audience fast, especially if it's mediocre level product (I won't even call them films...), then you risk losing them altogether.

There is nothing wrong with The Marvels. Except it's best chance of success was to be animated. Or direct to video without a theatrical release. And made with a 60 million dollar budget instead of a 300+ million overall cost package. Unfortunately the logistics of the current struggles can only be fixed or worked around if things go back to mostly being under one major banner. But who can do that? Bezos. Musk. Musk is basically fighting for his life each day out there, he's not worried about streaming. Bezos has made himself into a target and I don't see him trying to edge further than what is working for him now ( which is, oddly enough, selling monthly subscriptions to Amazon Prime)

From a content development perspective, the major investors, who ultimately decide what gets financed and thus gets to control much of the "narrative" in tone and theme figured out too late that they needed to kill Amy Robach. Once she went viral unintentionally, that forced major investors to demand hitting the gas pedal hard on ESG, even if it was going to lose money. Even if everyone knew it would enrage the legacy fanbases. This lends to evidence that just because some people have influence and power, it doesn't mean they rise above the status of amateur. In terms of content development, there are two things you can't change 1) You cannot keep telling the general public something vastly different than what they are seeing with their own two eyes every single day 2) You cannot "reframe" social acceptance to issues that are clearly a violation of natural law. So you'll say, Star Wars has been rough so lately because a bunch of hicks in suits couldn't figure out how to put down Amy Robach. Mostly, the answer is "Yes"

But many of you, maybe even most of you, are working in various industries, all over the country, and all over the world maybe. Many of you have had different careers too. How many of you have gone into work and said to yourself silently, "I can't believe the people in charge are doing this. This is insane. These people don't have a clue what they are doing. How many people are going to lose money, get their lives hurt, see disaster because Person X's cousin has to be in charge because his family needs to put him somewhere since he can't get a job like this on his own?" The failures of The Big Mouse is just a supercharged version of what some of you see every single day. Just because you have a big title doesn't mean you stop being an amateur. How pathetic do these people have to be to let a small fish like Robach force their hand?

Wow... Thanks for time traveling forward from 1961...

Maybe there was a more diplomatic way for others to lend some of the same perspectives as the video above. But I'm not going to tell those people what to post. If the discussion point leads to lack of basic fundamental storytelling, then I can see why many legacy fans are just plain exhausted. My take on it.

Well with a reported budget of $275-300 million plus advertising The Marvels' earnings after three weekends is now sitting at $188 million...worldwide.

Remember when EG and NWH made that much...on their first day lol.
Not to worry, they'll make up the difference with merchandise sales. The pre-orders have been rolling in for those new Hot Toys figures of Carol, Monica and Kamala. Oh wait....

Not to worry, they'll make up the difference with merchandise sales. The pre-orders have been rolling in for those new Hot Toys figures of Carol, Monica and Kamala. Oh wait....
All kidding aside more than likely Deadpool 3 should be a 1.5 dare I say 2 billion dollar movie which would obviously make up for the recent losses.

They WILL get their money back one way or another.

Khev and I WILL rebuy the Infinity Saga 4K with proper Imax ratios :slap lol

But anyway I just have no interest in capt marvel or her world besides rogue taking her power. They really tried pushing her pre endgame but that kinda seemed to back fire. Sorry zurdo.
I think the draw of the first movie being a prequel and leading up to a huge event is what made the first film gain so much money. Idk.
The crazy part is that Ripley, Connor, Lewis, and obviously Leia are as equally loved and respected as Dutch, Rambo, McLane and Mad Max!

Can we please bring back the era when a Jewish actress could play a bad ass Puerto Rican Marine named Vasquez!

Jennifer Lawrence was more of an idiot than even Brie Larson! :slap

The crazy part is that Ripley, Connor, Lewis, and obviously Leia are as equally loved and respected as Dutch, Rambo, McLane and Mad Max!

Can we please bring back the era when a Jewish actress could play a bad ass Puerto Rican Marine named Vasquez!

Jennifer Lawrence was more of an idiot than even Brie Larson! :slap
jenette goldstein badass GIF

All kidding aside more than likely Deadpool 3 should be a 1.5 dare I say 2 billion dollar movie which would obviously make up for the recent losses.

They WILL get their money back one way or another.

Khev and I WILL rebuy the Infinity Saga 4K with proper Imax ratios :slap lol

I'm sure it will be a hit but I think you need to update your box office predictive algorithm lol. The prospect of seeing Reynolds and Jackman trading barbs and blows is definitely a draw but not that big of a draw. DP and DP2 were both in the $700 to 800M range globally and in today's market I don't see DP3 doubling those takes. It will probably top out at or near $1.0 Billion. Plus isn't it likely to be rated R like the first two?

It looks like The Marvels may be facing some stiff competition...for biggest flop lol...

https://gamerant.com/aquaman-2-box-office-prediction-worse-opening-weekend-the-marvels/
Huh. I wonder. Aquaman looks like a bro comedy and is probably gonna be like the first one, big and splashy. JM has charisma. Folks are rabid with curiosity to see how much AH got cut from the film. Did she get a minute? 5 minutes? Conveniently die off screen which is why Mom shows up in the trailers doing all the talking :monkey3 ?

Wouldn't be surprised if Aquaman maybe starts low, and builds. 'Coz it's not like Aquaman is gonna destroy a legacy character like Nick Fury or anything. Heck, I'll go see it in theater unless early reviews are horrible. I don't believe all this "tired of superheroes" stuff. Folks are tired of not being able to care, that's all, tired of endless servings of messages and bad writing and silly costumes....

ah.jpg

:stake :slap

At least the first CM - she had some cool looks. It's not like she's an embarrassment on the shelf.

Huh. I wonder. Aquaman looks like a bro comedy and is probably gonna be like the first one, big and splashy. JM has charisma. Folks are rabid with curiosity to see how much AH got cut from the film. Did she get a minute? 5 minutes? Conveniently die off screen which is why Mom shows up in the trailers doing all the talking :monkey3 ?

Wouldn't be surprised if Aquaman maybe starts low, and builds. 'Coz it's not like Aquaman is gonna destroy a legacy character like Nick Fury or anything. Heck, I'll go see it in theater unless early reviews are horrible. I don't believe all this "tired of superheroes" stuff. Folks are tired of not being able to care, that's all, tired of endless servings of messages and bad writing and silly costumes....

View attachment 675832
:stake :slap

At least the first CM - she had some cool looks. It's not like she's an embarrassment on the shelf.
Yeah similar to the first Aquaman the sequel has a Christmas release date, so I anticipate it'll open with decent box office mainly because people will be off work and will want an escape from hanging with relatives for a few hours lol. When the first one came out I was out of town with family. My adult children, their spouses and I all went to see it the night before we were celebrating Xmas. Between Amber Heard's lack of chemistry with JM, her wooden acting, Nicole Kidman's wooden face, some cringeworthy dialogue and questionable CGI it was hysterically bad - easily the best (unintentional) comedy I saw that year. If the sequel is half as cheesy as that one it should do well. :lol

Back