The LOTR Customs Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can work out a way to get a good 1:6 scaled head sculpt for Gothmog, maybe Shawn would be willing to work up the other body parts and some costume pieces for him, too. An accurately sized and detailed head to begin with is essential, though.

Btw, I'd also be interested in a custom Lurtz, especially if he could make the limbs with rubber sleeves instead of fabric. The Lurtz that Craw has is truly a work of art. :rock

Last edited:
I don't have any of the Weta pieces. But I'm sure even the 1/6 ones would need to be blown up to work for a figure. Unfortunately neither the 1/4 busts nor the 1/6 statues are good enough likenesses to work for Merry and Pippin.

Most of the orc busts seem to have helmets, so they won't really work for figures either.

The Wounded Orc, Orc Soldier, Orc Overseer, and Moria Orc Swordsman busts don't have helmets. The Cleaved Orc bust is partially helmeted (helmet falling off, but still part of the bust). I'm not sure they'd be suitable for 1:6 figures, and they'd have to be shrunk somehow, in any case.

If you can work out a way to get a good 1:6 scaled head sculpt for Gothmog, maybe Shawn would be willing to work up the other body parts and some costume pieces for him, too. An accurately sized and detailed head to begin with is essential, though.

Btw, I'd also be interested in a custom Lurtz, especially if he could make the limbs with rubber sleeves instead of fabric. The Lurtz that Craw has is truly a work of art. :rock

I would think Shawn, once done with his other work, would be willing to make more Lurtz's...if there are enough buyers to make the effort worth it.

As to Gothmog, well, there really is no sculpt out there -- other than the Weta, this elusive 2nd wave of DiD figs, and the TB 6" fig. It's probably gonna take a commission to get this sculpt. And honestly, I doubt I can find 10 people to make it worthwhile. But even with a sculpt, then there's the costume...and although Shawn may have some bits from Lurtz that could work, it still entails finding ALL the armor bits (most would have to be made) and also having someone sculpt those unique hands. All in all, a very difficult custom to cobble together. I think if Gothmog is ever going to happen it would require a group custom commission...and unfortunately Gothmog seems to be way down on the list of figures people want.

But you never know, a lot of people are just learning about the ending of the 1/6th line....so there's a good chance we may soon start seeing customs on ebay.

I would think Shawn, once done with his other work, would be willing to make more Lurtz's...if there are enough buyers to make the effort worth it.

As to Gothmog, well, there really is no sculpt out there -- other than the Weta, this elusive 2nd wave of DiD figs, and the TB 6" fig. It's probably gonna take a commission to get this sculpt. And honestly, I doubt I can find 10 people to make it worthwhile. But even with a sculpt, then there's the costume...and although Shawn may have some bits from Lurtz that could work, it still entails finding ALL the armor bits (most would have to be made) and also having someone sculpt those unique hands. All in all, a very difficult custom to cobble together. I think if Gothmog is ever going to happen it would require a group custom commission...and unfortunately Gothmog seems to be way down on the list of figures people want.

But you never know, a lot of people are just learning about the ending of the 1/6th line....so there's a good chance we may soon start seeing customs on ebay.

Gothmog does present some problems, as you described. I'm sure there are other people besides us who'd want Gothmog, but there are so many other characters people would want before him, that we'd probably end up having to wait a couple of years, at least. There is hope that a Gothmog custom will appear on ebay sooner or later, though. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

He's really far own my want list.

1. Gimli
2. Merry
3. Pippin
4. Saruman
5. Witchking
6. Bilbo
7. Mouth of Sauron or Eowyn in armor
8. Gothmog or Moria Orc
9. Wormtongue
10. Elrond

I'm gonna do Gandalf the White, just cause it's so easy with the DiD Gandalf. I bought an extra non-exclusive Gandy from SSC just for the head. Will probably paint and use the SSC sword belt, scabbard and sword too.

I'd love to get the recipe when you are done. I want a Gandy the White in 1/6 as well.

Yeah, I'm actually using that figure as a model to source Gothmog clothing bits. It's a great little figure. I wish I could hydro-whatever it up to 1/6th.

Why not? It'd take several steps but it's possible.

Why not? It'd take several steps but it's possible.

Seriously? I don't even know what the hydrospan is. I sort of have an idea based on Dave's comments about it. Do you know how to do it?

But if hydrospanning the 6" Gothmog into a 12" figure would really work -- and deliver a solid Gothmog -- I'd take it, even without "real" clothing and minimal-to-none articulation.

I hope you're not just getting me excited here.

I'd love to get the recipe when you are done. I want a Gandy the White in 1/6 as well.

I just found my DiD Gandalf the White and it's not going to be as easy as I thought. There's absolutely no detail on the DiD costume.

it's a shame. LOTR customs are gonna be hard or impossible just cuz of the detailed outfits. and i'd hate to lose that detail in a custom cuz then it would cease to be LOTR to me. if that makes any sense. we really need some custom 1/6 tailors on this board.

Seriously? I don't even know what the hydrospan is. I sort of have an idea based on Dave's comments about it. Do you know how to do it?

But if hydrospanning the 6" Gothmog into a 12" figure would really work -- and deliver a solid Gothmog -- I'd take it, even without "real" clothing and minimal-to-none articulation.

I hope you're not just getting me excited here.

Yeah, I've worked with it before with good results. It's a good sculpt and would enlarge ok I think but would need some cleanup once 1:6.

Ordered a DiD Gimli today for $32 shipped off eBay :rock

And the TB Ringwraith came last week... really not as bad in person as I expected. Definitely think its a workable base.

I've actually got one I put together a while ago, but have yet to repaint. I think it's time to break him out and finish him...

Back