The LOTR Customs Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sculpted hood is my main problem with that figure, but for the price it looks decent. I think we'll have to make some compromises to get the characters we want. :(

I'm thinking of either sculting my own hood and then covering it with fabric... or just modding the existing one. But either way I think if the clothes on this one are good enough (fingers crossed) it will save a lot of work. If not then it will be more of an issue getting the whole outfit made.

But I did run across a seller on ebay that makes robes and cloaks for figures (usually around $20), maybe we could get a commission for these.

We could attach fabric over the hood. Will need a bigger body and some new weapons.

Not sure if it is 6th scale but they do come off the rock.
I've seen the 9" used for Aragorn and it is in scale. If you make the raith 1" taller it would work.

I've been experimenting with Hydroshrink and Hydrospan which allow you to shrink and enlarge a sculpt. I was thinking of shrinking down the Weta busts for the hobbits, but they aren't really very good, at least from the pictures.

Merry maybe could be enlarged from the Weta Merry statue - it's almost 1/6th anyway, although still not the best sculpt.

For the Ringwraith - the GG bust has a removeable sword that could be cast - the hilt would need to be sculpted. The gauntlets and boots from the TB might work, although I haven't seen them in a while.

Would the cost of Hydrospan used for two figs cost less than getting them sculpted?

Would the cost of Hydrospan used for two figs cost less than getting them sculpted?

The cost of Hydrospan is negligible - it's the time needed. You have to mold the originals. Cast them in Hydrospan, let them expand (about 2 weeks) then cast the expanded piece. And it's not an exact science - will take a lot of trial and error. But my point is there aren't really decent sculpts of Merry and Pippin to go from.

The new GG busts are microbusts and aren't detailed enough to blow up and the WETA 1/4 scale ones aren't good enough likenesses to shrink down.

Commissioning new sculpts would probably be the best way to go for these 2 anyway.

I would approach Chris Howes... he seems to be very willing to take on commissions and I think he'd do a great job on the hobbits. Also his prices are very fair and his willingness to listen to feedback is a huge plus.

I think that sword is more like 1/5 scale, but might be worth checking out. If the UC full size version is 53" then a 1/6 should be more like 8.33". This one would be about 2" too long.

From a web site:
The evil of the Ringwraiths, the shadow servants of Sauron, is chillingly captured in this Miniature Collectible Sword of the Ringwraiths. The tempered stainless steel sword is detachable from its 3.75" x 3" x 2.5" hand painted cold-cast porcelain display, which resembles a mystical mound of stones. The overall length of the sword measures 10-5/8", the blade length measures 7-7/8" and the blade thickness is 1/8". The handle of the sword is made of cast metal and has an antique finish. The base includes The Lord of the Rings Logo and a brass shield with Elven markings.

Yeah, sword lenght is 10 5/8" which would be too big. I think the Toybiz version is closer, but looks like a toy.

I would approach Chris Howes... he seems to be very willing to take on commissions and I think he'd do a great job on the hobbits. Also his prices are very fair and his willingness to listen to feedback is a huge plus.

Does this mean you will contact Howes about a group commission?

:D

OK, let's talk RINGWRAITH...

How tall are they?

Will that sword discussed above work at 10"+? I mean, is a Ringwraith's sword nearly as tall as they are?

Not sure if it is 6th scale but they do come off the rock.
I've seen the 9" used for Aragorn and it is in scale. If you make the raith 1" taller it would work.

Is that true? Should a Ringwraith be 13" tall relative?

No, that sword is way over scale. I wouldn't want a Ringwraith on anything but a standard height body.

I want to make the raith taller but really might only get a 1/2" out of him. The sword might need some detail work-sand down 1/4" or so.

Back