The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be because The Hobbit is a children's book?
Being based on a children's book (a great children's book) doesn't mean the films must have an abundance of shoddy CGI, subpar acting, little to no depth, etc, etc. I don't even remember any of the music in the Hobbit films so far except the Laketown theme. Lord of the Rings has literally one of the greatest scores of all time. What happened?

I read The Hobbit a few months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. There were definitely childish aspects, but they were presented well and felt genuine. They didn't make me cringe like every other scene in the Hobbit films.

The only thing The Hobbit trilogy has gotten right so far IMO are the visual designs. The costumes, including Legolas' and the dwarves' armor, are incredibly detailed and seem very authentic to each race. The same goes for the weapons. The new warg design is fantastic, and even better than what we saw in Lord of the Rings. Erebor is huge and intimidating, a very impressive structure that is clearly dwarven. And then of course there's Smaug, who looks excellent, even if he doesn't have four legs like real dragons. :rolleyes2

Sorry you're disappointed. I love the movies.

btw.....there no such thing as "real" dragons, except for the names of some lizards. ;)

Someone can probably tell you what type of dragon Smaug is because it's in this thread somewhere. I have to go to work now so I can't find it for you.

Work :(

I was also once a stressed out Hobbit hater, every second of my life feeling the need to compare them to the best trilogy ever made.

But now that I've tried a reverse mortgage and Evelyn convinced me to buy life insurance after her husband Bill died, I've now been able to fully enjoy and appreciate these Hobbit movies.

Oh please. The Hobbit isn't even close to the SW prequels when it comes to CGI. And LotR has more in it than people care to admit.

I can't even get upset when people make such silly comparisons. I just shake my head and figure they're not really worth the time. The Lord of the Rings did have plenty of CGI. People got upset with the amount of it back then as well but now don't because of just appreciating how great those movies are. Over time I do think that will happen with these Hobbit movies.

Could it be because The Hobbit is a children's book?

That's the thing. He's made these movies more serious than the book. As someone who has read the book many many times Jackson has done a pretty fantastic job of capturing the book and mixing it with the seriousness of The Lord of the Rings. There's plenty of CGI but as I said there was in the previous trilogy and this movie I think actually called for more based on certain aspects of the book. The places in The Hobbit are more fantasy like than the places in The Lord of the Rings. In the end there are folks who are not pleased with the films or like some members use hyperbole to express their dislike. It is what it is Ween. We're enjoying the films and the others can go fly a kite if they don't.

PS: Smaug is a Wyvern, which is a kind of dragon. :lecture.

Only in these movies. Not in any of the art I have ever seen of him. Not in the Rankin Bass cartoon, either.

Wyverns are like a "realistic" approach to a dragon I suppose, and they're definitely the "in-thing" at the moment. They've never been nearly as popular or definitive as the classic four-legged dragons until now, unfortunately.

Only in these movies. Not in any of the art I have ever seen of him. Not in the Rankin Bass cartoon, either.

Wyverns are like a "realistic" approach to a dragon I suppose, and they're definitely the "in-thing" at the moment. They've never been nearly as popular or definitive as the classic four-legged dragons until now, unfortunately.

So what you're saying is everyone up until PJ was drawing Smaug wrong? I agree. :goodpost: :lol

I was also once a stressed out Hobbit hater, every second of my life feeling the need to compare them to the best trilogy ever made.

But now that I've tried a reverse mortgage and Evelyn convinced me to buy life insurance after her husband Bill died, I've now been able to fully enjoy and appreciate these Hobbit movies.

You're one of those Geiko cavemen aren't you?

I'm off to fly a kite.

bat-3.JPG

Oh sorry, I must have misunderstood. :nana:

But seriously folks... I don't care how Smaug was drawn in the past, the movie Smaug is my favorite. And for the record, I'm pretty sure Alan Lee's depiction didn't have four legs so not all artists drew him that way.

Attached are some of the main ones from the Hildebradt Brothers, John Howe, Ted Nasmith, Alan Lee and from the Rankin Bass movie.

Attachments

• hildebrandt.jpg
    hildebrandt.jpg
    455.6 KB · Views: 96
  • howe.jpg
    howe.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 95
  • lee.jpg
    lee.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 100
  • nasmith.jpg
    nasmith.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 98
  • rankinbass.jpg
    rankinbass.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 95
The Marathon on the 15th will have a special intro from Peter Jackson and highlights from the world premiere! :)

I can't even get upset when people make such silly comparisons. I just shake my head and figure they're not really worth the time. The Lord of the Rings did have plenty of CGI. People got upset with the amount of it back then as well but now don't because of just appreciating how great those movies are. Over time I do think that will happen with these Hobbit movies.

That's the thing. He's made these movies more serious than the book. As someone who has read the book many many times Jackson has done a pretty fantastic job of capturing the book and mixing it with the seriousness of The Lord of the Rings. There's plenty of CGI but as I said there was in the previous trilogy and this movie I think actually called for more based on certain aspects of the book. The places in The Hobbit are more fantasy like than the places in The Lord of the Rings. In the end there are folks who are not pleased with the films or like some members use hyperbole to express their dislike. It is what it is Ween. We're enjoying the films and the others can go fly a kite if they don't.

Thought he was a Wyrm, as a Wyvern is a much smaller type of Dragon, more like what the Nazgul King rode.

Back