The Chris Chulamanis Memorial Custom USCM Figure Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When we came up with the whole "Chris" figure idea, and after I sent out all the parts I had to contribute, I started to think that I wanted Chris in my USCM platoon. It's a far less detailed version than what we were doing here but I couldn't find another of the heads I had sent Les at the time.
I went with this head, and I am really starting to think it to be a better choice. Keep in mind the hair would need to be repainted but I think it would capture a "warrior" Chris.
What do you guys think?
$(KGrHqYOKocE3G65M6uBBNyN6BQ4Og~~_12.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-FIGURE...428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6258e2d4

Hey Les! Damn good to hear from you, man. It HAS been a loooong time, bro! No worries, I know you sincerely want to do this. Never doubted it for a second. I only wanted to chime in here and basically let everyone know that I'm still on board and ready to go when the time is right.

I'm no stranger to dealing with aging, ailing parents, or having to make personal sacrifices when necessary, so I really do understand, and agree that family has to come first, no matter what. From following your thread the past few years I have some idea of what you've been going through. I realize you need time to work through it, and believe you'll be back on board when you are able. So do what you need to do, Les, and know that you have my full understanding and best wishes at heart. God speed!

Ironman1188 came up with this inspired idea and it is one that deserves to get done right. We'll get this tribute to Chris finished, however long it may take us. We'll be here whenever you're ready. :wave

When we came up with the whole "Chris" figure idea, and after I sent out all the parts I had to contribute, I started to think that I wanted Chris in my USCM platoon. It's a far less detailed version than what we were doing here but I couldn't find another of the heads I had sent Les at the time.
I went with this head, and I am really starting to think it to be a better choice. Keep in mind the hair would need to be repainted but I think it would capture a "warrior" Chris.
What do you guys think?
$(KGrHqYOKocE3G65M6uBBNyN6BQ4Og~~_12.JPG

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6-FIGURE...428?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6258e2d4

Hmm... I'm probably not the best qualified to comment, but I haven't seen many pictures where Chris didn't have a huge smile on his face. I never got to see his "war face", sadly, but I'm sure he must've had one.

Offhand I think it may need a little reworking to be a closer match to his basic facial structure. LMK if you need any photos of Chris, I have a file with some pretty good ones that could be useful.

Btw, you're definitely not alone in wanting Chris in your squad of 1:6 Marines. I hope we'll all be able to add our own memorial figures of PFC "FNG" (Funny New Guy) Chris Chulamanis to our collections at some point.

Last edited:
Joy has inquired about the Chris Memorial. I told her it's still a work in progress. Understandably, she is disappointed, but still looking forward to the final unveiling!

Les, good to hear from you man! Life throws challenges at us my friend, and how we deal with it, shows what we are made of. Good luck my friend, we'll keep a chair open for ya here, when you are able to rejoin us.

As for Chris's "warface", that's actually quite close. I can't post pics of him right now, as my photo hosting site since '06 has gone belly up. ALL my pics are on there, I do have some on my hard drive on another computer, but I don't know how many. I sure hope most are there, all my DragonCon pics, custom figures, etc. etc.

Almost all of Chris's pics he's smiling. Save for a few as we are reenacting a "Colony Sweep" or two or three...:exactly::clap:clap:rotfl

Good times, good times.

A serious Chris or a smilin' Chris? I know Joy would want a smilin' one, but I understand how a warrior Chris would be appealing too.

So, like Chris would probably say: "As long as it's Colonial Marines, it's all right with me!" :hi5::hi5:

Hollis, If you think that the head I last posted works better for a "Chris in bug hunt" type figure, LMK and I'll see if the auction is still going and try and get it. I have been constantly working thru this figure in the back of my mind. Yes, most pix of Chris are smiling pix, but there was little reason for members of the USCM to smile in battle and battling is what they were created for.
Also, could you ask Joy to contact me by email? [or you could if you are in close contact with her please]

Ironman, I think the head is pretty close, Chris' face was thinner in the cheeks, but it could be a very good starting point.

I'll try and get in touch with Joy, it's been awhile since I last chatted with her. It's been really hard for her, talk of Chris' USCM buddies, brings up memories and makes her sad. But, let me see what I can do.
As for having her communicate with others, I've tried before, but that was a year or more ago. Hopefully, she's up for it, but I can't promise anything bro.

Sounds good! Look forward to seeing it! I called Joy, left a message, but haven't heard back as of yet.

Could this thread get "stickied" back over in the action figure section? It is about a custom memorial figure, not a statue or prop.

Maybe a PM to a mod or even Darklord Dave would help? Just a suggestion.

It's been about 4 years since this project was started and it's not completed yet. Maybe hiring a professional customizer here on the board (or elsewhere) is in order? Just another suggestion.

Perhaps, I just thought that one of the mods or Dave might actually stop in here. Then again, I would have thought that this would have been a no brainer for the figure section.
As for hiring a customizer? That was kind of not the point. When i came up with the idea it was for us to do something for Chris. No denying its taken waay to long but that is still the base idea.

As many customizers that are on here, it's incredibly sad that nobody can donate some time to finish this.

I fully understand the initial need for this memorial figure to be created by his friends (as it adds to the sentimental value of this piece). But my suggestion stems from the point that this figure should be finished by now with or without any outside help from another fellow customizer. I was under the assumption that anyone who wanted to help out with cause could in fact help? Hiring a customizer just to do the head sculpt wouldn't be much different than his friends making the entire figure themselves, when you would still be using the same donated pieces to create the rest of the body and costume, it would still be a "team" effort.

My point is: It seems that the other people involved with this project are extremely busy (which is understandable), so a lil' extra help shouldn't hurt. I mean this figure has to be made regardless of how it's accomplished.

Oh and just to make things clear my opinions and suggestions were in no ways meant to offend anyone who is involved with this project. I just would like to see this figure made already, that is all.:peace

I fully understand the initial need for this memorial figure to be created by his friends (as it adds to the sentimental value of this piece). But my suggestion stems from the point that this figure should be finished by now with or without any outside help from another fellow customizer. I was under the assumption that anyone who wanted to help out with cause could in fact help? Hiring a customizer just to do the head sculpt wouldn't be much different than his friends making the entire figure themselves, when you would still be using the same donated pieces to create the rest of the body and costume, it would still be a "team" effort.

My point is: It seems that the other people involved with this project are extremely busy (which is understandable), so a lil' extra help shouldn't hurt. I mean this figure has to be made regardless of how it's accomplished.

Oh and just to make things clear my opinions and suggestions were in no ways meant to offend anyone who is involved with this project. I just would like to see this figure made already, that is all.:peace

But thats just it. Everyone was donating what we needed to make this figure happen. Hiring a sculptor wasn't in the cards.
Now, don't get me wrong, if a good sculptor wants to step up and donate his/her efforts to the cause and can deliver a homerun sculpt then that would certainly be a possibility. As for hiring one? Don't see it happening.
Yes, this figure has to be made, but it has to be made satisfactorily.

Understandable. Well the first thing should be is to place this thread in the proper forum and secondly.. C'mon all you talented sculptors out there! It would be nice if you guys could help get this project rolling again! :rock

Well good luck with the project Ironman. I hope we'll all see some progress soon. ;)

Maybe a PM to a mod or even Darklord Dave would help? Just a suggestion.

It's been about 4 years since this project was started and it's not completed yet. Maybe hiring a professional customizer here on the board (or elsewhere) is in order? Just another suggestion.

I Pm'd him but he said he unstickied it because it had gone quiet in here. No answer to why it wound up in the wrong forum. :huh

Back