The Chris Chulamanis Memorial Custom USCM Figure Project

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*IN MEMORIAM*
FNGpic.jpg

Chris Chulamanis - "FNG"
Aug. 16, 1949 - Jan. 10, 2008

I love this pic. Chris was sooooo happy to be carrying the USCM Flag that day! I swore he walked as if he was 10ft tall!! :D Just an awesome, awesome pic. It really tells alot about how Chris was, how he felt about the Colonial Marines. He was always first to welcome any newcomer or potential newcomer- always there to share information on becoming a Colonial Marine.

Miss you Chris.

Just thought I'd repost this makeshift checklist so we can see what's what. It would be great if everyone who's working on pieces for the figure would check in, just to touch bases. As far as I know, there are still a few small items needed, depending on what the decided final look of the figure will be. Any ideas or comments?

Chris Chulamanis Memorial Figure Project - Checklist

Figure:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Models - G2 body (Ironman1188)
Dragon Models - Head (Ironman1188)
* Painting: Les Walker

Uniform:
EVA Models USCM Camo BDU Shirt/Trousers (Ironman1188)
* Weathering: DA Josh
Patches/Insignia: (HollisDZC: for helmet cover / Ironman1188: for uniform)
* Application: (DA Josh)
Boots: Toy Soldier - Vietnam Jungle Boots w/Panama soles (DBoz)
* Weathering: DA Josh

Basic Equipment:
USCM Web Belt & Pouches (EVA Models: resin / Hot Toys: cloth) - (contributor?)
Portable Welder (EVA Models / Hot Toys) - (HollisDZC / tigerfeet)
Motion Tracker (EVA Models / Hot Toys) - (tigerfeet)
Belt Clip/Power Unit (Hot Toys) - (contributor?)
USCM Wristwatch/PDT (EVA / Hot Toys) - (HollisDZC)

Special Equipment:
Grenade Bandolier, Web, 12 loops w/plastic buckle - (custom?)
Shotgun Holster w/strap (Hicks type) - (Ironman1188?)
Electronic Bypass Kit Pouch (Hudson type) - (custom?)
PDT Locator (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
OG Utility Pouch (like first aid kit) - (custom?)

Body Armour:
Torso/Back, Groin and Greaves (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
Helmet & Camo Cover (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
Lamp Unit (EVA Models) - (HollisDZC)
* Assembly/Painting: Mudshark

Weapons:
M41A Pulse Rifle w/Sling - (Mudshark)
* Assembly/Painting: Mudshark
Shotgun - (contributor?)
Gerber Mk. II Combat Knife - (Ironman1188 or Mudshark)
M40 Grenades, HE (red cap) x 20 - (HollisDZC / tigerfeet/ more needed)
* Painting: Mudshark
Final figure assembly and weathering:
* DA Josh

Custom Base/Plaque:
Base construction - (HollisDZC) / donation offer - (tigerfeet)

Still around, and still trying to get the Chris head painted and finished and off to where he needs to go. No worries from my end. I will get him done soon.

In the meantime, a really cool story to share with you all here, with a nod to Chris in the mix...

Some time back, about a year now, I sold my personal ALIENS Bishop figure custom, complete with Chris' patches on him, to a girl named Ashley Kuehnel. She had contacted me about it after seeing it on my site, and wanted one, and I went ahead and sold her mine.
She recently went to a convention and got actor Lance Henriksen to sign it personally!

Here is Ashley, Lance and the figure! You can see his auto on the base!
BishopAuto1.jpg

Besides being a cutey herself, Ashley was sweet enough to tell Lance the story of the figure, that he had met me before, and that the patches on the figure were made by Chris, and how he had died, and how the figure had come into her hands.
A wonderful story.
I am glad it worked out that way. He was just gathering dust on my shelf, and now, he is ROCKING and standing for my work, and of course, for Chris, it was shown to and shared with the guy that played the role, and he knows of Chris now, if he didn't already.
I am honored it ended up this way.

By the way, actor Doug Bradley, ole Pinhead himself, was sitting next to Lance, and Ashley told me he was playing with the figure a lot, and that also thrills me! My old Bishop figure is having the best time ever free from my clutches! LOL!
That is all I ever hope for for any of my works, that they get seen and shared. And for us, that Chris' assistances to our own custom ALIENS figures, and his memory, lives on!

Thanks Chris! Wherever you are, enjoy this one!

Cadaver, that is most kind of you.
This project has been more than majorly derailed since its conception and that is more than just a tragedy. The plan is to still get the figure completed though.

WOW!! Another half year with no movement on this. I'm truly saddened. :(

On another note however, does anyone know how I can contact Chris' wife?

It is sad, you can try and post on https://www.scifimilitary.com/forum/
Although no one seems to be using the forum much anymore I know for a fact there are several people on the board that know how to contact her.

Someone posted that they know the family and may have been neighbors if I remember right.

Chris' wife is known to a number of friends she and Chris had on the Aliens Legacy forum. I finally got to meet some of them in person at Dragon Con in Atlanta this past summer. His wife hasn't attended the con for the past couple of years, which is understandable.

This project has sadly drifted into the core systems, but it may yet be salvaged. I doubt whether it would be appropriate to offer it to his wife after all this time, however. I think it would be a most welcome tribute to Chris if presented to his friends in the Colonial Marines, who could possibly display it at the Aliens/USCM fan table at the various conventions they attend. That would perhaps be the most fitting way to dedicate this figure to Chris' memory, if it is ever completed.

I haven't given up on this project, though my hands are pretty much tied without the cooperation of the other guys who were involved in it. I have no idea if or when things will ever get back on track, but I'm still in, for my part. Can't speak for any of the other guys, though... :(

Note: The scifimilitary.com board was up only a couple of days ago, but it seems the site has gone recently. No idea if it's only temporary or for good, but I believe its moderator may be indisposed for a time. Hopefully it will be up again soon.

Les,

It's been a long time since I've heard any news from or about you. Hope things are going much better for you these days. Just wanted to check in with you to see what our chances are of getting this project underway. The portrait of Chris is one of the most essential pieces of the whole project, and without it we're pretty much at a standstill.

I know you must be plenty busy, but if you could spare even a little time on it here and there, then just maybe we could finish this figure in time for Dragon Con this coming summer. Not pushin', just askin'... Anyway, looking forward to hearing from you again.

Take care buddy,

Dru

Yeah, 3 years on this and it's not finished yet...pretty sad really.

Agreed. I think it's time to look at other options. I know some people are just too busy with other things to spare any time for this. Can't be helped.

HollisDZC and I have time and enough equipment to build this figure by ourselves, but since it was originally Ironman1188's idea, and was to be a collaborative effort, we've been in standby mode for quite a while now.

I know Les sincerely meant to do what he said he'd do, and Josh too, but things have changed since then. And we still need a good likeness of Chris to get this project off the ground...:(

I was looking at the first page and it said something about doing a plaque for the base perhaps? I work for a jewelry store and have access to a nice engraving machine if you are interested in having me make a plaque of some type. If it is a high polished surface I can even engrave a photo image on it along with text, logos and what not. Just let me know if I can help out.

I was looking at the first page and it said something about doing a plaque for the base perhaps? I work for a jewelry store and have access to a nice engraving machine if you are interested in having me make a plaque of some type. If it is a high polished surface I can even engrave a photo image on it along with text, logos and what not. Just let me know if I can help out.

That would be really nice! A "Wish List" would be- It would be nice to have the USCM Screaming Eagles on one side and the USCM Delta on the other- Chris Chulamanis / USCM Service # / Birth / Death.

"One helluva Colonial Marine, one helluva Man."

I know I'm new, but I would love to see this still happen. What a man. Would of really loved to meet Chris. Can this still happen? If I can help, please let me know..

Gotta time machine? A lot's happened since Les and I first brainstormed this. It took off with a head of steam and tapered off quietly into oblivion.
I'd love to see it happen, but the meaning behind it I think has been lost and I'm not sure how the timing would be now.
Is anyone here still in contact with Chris' wife?

For what it's worth, I think it probably would've happened already had it not been for a series of unexpected & unfortunate events that followed after the project had gotten underway. A lot hinged on the completion of a head sculpt of Chris, and that unfortunately has not happened, yet.

For my part, I still have in safe keeping all of the armor and other gear that so many people here generously contributed. If/when someone is willing to provide a suitable head sculpt I'm prepared to do my part to see this project through to completion.

As you said though, time has passed and things have changed, although I can tell you from having met many of Chris' good friends on the AL board and in person at Dragon Con the past two years, his memory is still very much alive.

I think Rex (Hollis DZC) would be the person to ask regarding word about Joy, Chris' wife. Last I heard, I think he said she was still interested and was wondering if the project was still happening. To my knowledge she hasn't attended Dragon Con the past couple of years. If this project were to be completed as planned, that might make a decided difference, though.

All things considered, it still comes down to having a good head sculpt of Chris, after which I believe this project can and will finally move forward again.

Sorry guys. I have been UNFATHOMABLY busy trying to not only get works out to folks waiting ages, but to live and deal with not only not having a job or any real income, (i've been selling off my collection) but to still get back to projects like this. I have been away from sites for nearly a year, and hate it, but I am trying my best to re-emerge and finish things. I have A head that was slated for reworking for Chris. I have some issues at present that are holding me up, namely the potentially life saving surgery for my own father (he has a badly dilated aortic aneurism, and his surgery is two weeks from today, things like this have kept me away...) is gonna keep me away from work again, but, this must be done. I knew Chris only by emails, and his patches made my old Bishop figure (long since sold) a possibility. So, his memory must be memorialized. He earned it. I will do all I can to get that head finished and to who it needs to go (Mudshark).
So, there. I am still out here, painting as best I can, to finish ALL I had to finish. Damn near half blind now, over age 50 sucks for close up vision age, but I still continue to paint.

I will still do my best to honor this project.

Thanks and hang in there! Chris' memory lives on! :rock

Hey Les! I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I like you, only "met" Chris online. I still have most of his patch set here that I will not sell. He was a great guy. I am interested in this project after talking to him, and having the chance to opportunity to own some of his great work. :)

Back