The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Six Million Dollar Man unboxed (not by me):

7991b853b02e.jpg

Another TV classic just announced, Tom Baker's final season (leading in to the already-announced Peter Davison's first season and joining the previously released Tom Baker first season). These were originally shot on tape so aren't true HD, but are probably the best quality yet. Plus more economical than buying the individual adventures.

tom_baker_doctor-who_BR.jpg

tom_baker_s18_br.jpg

$15,000 is actually dirt cheap for an 8K that size and being their top of the line Q series i’ll take 2 lol

I bet the manufacturing cost going from 4K res to 8K res is probably around $1.75 per panel :lol

The image is still 2D but because you no longer see the pixels on the screen that make up the “empty space” the objects all seem perfectly seperated from each other causing a seamless near 3D like ambience that existed on that flat plain I was watching.

Just remarkable

OMG.... I will be thinking about this all night now.

70mm is more like 12k (12,000 horizontal) I don’t know what formula Imax uses to get 18k maybe it has something to do with their proprietary DMR process I honestly don’t know.

Even they admit that it’s really 12k. :lol

But that 12k is only legitimate if the movie was filmed with their native 70mm camera.

I think 35mm film is equivalent to 6k so you can see how it all adds up.

So 8k for home consumption is really all you need I mean even with a 100” tv at normal home seating distance it might as well be 12k you know what I mean.

Well it’s good to be ready just incase you decide on installing a 15/70 Imax screen in your home.....or apartment lol

Imagine how good cannibal campout will look then. Be like having JYE in your house. Seriously though JYE what kind of time frame do you think on the tvs. Everything has such a short shelf life before the newest and greatest comes out.

:lol

Well if you go by Sweet Rabbit’s time frame your 1080p tv should serve you well until 2030 lol

But seriously 8k will be more than enough for home viewing more than enough.

Yes it’s more impressive than 4k its like there is no screen just image.

Last edited:
Well I bought a bunch of 4k movies on Black Friday in preparation to buy my 4K set and player after Christmas...now you guys are saying go 8k but i'm not waiting that long for prices to come down!

Nah don’t wait just make sure you invest as little as possible in 4K lol

The 55” Roku TCL is now $500 at BB model 615.

If i’m not mistaken it’s the ONLY tv under $1,000 that is backlit (not edge lit) and that also supports both HDR10 AND DV!

Even on Black Friday it remained at $600 but now at $500!!!

Just remember folks backlit also means the tv is thicker so don’t be shocked it’s not really thin like the edge lit (yuck) tv’s.

Believe me the trade off is very much worth it.

Last edited:

If i’m not mistaken it’s the ONLY tv under $1,000 that is backlit (not edge lit) and that also supports both HDR10 AND DV!

Just remember folks backlit also means the tv is thicker so don’t be shocked it’s not really thin like the edge lit (yuck) tv’s.

Well crap that just might be the push I need. What players do you recommend?

Well crap that just might be the push I need. What players do you recommend?

Well.......lol

If you want 3D included then more than likely you won’t get DV support :gah:

If you can use another player for your 3D needs than the Sony X700 (not X800) offers both DV and HDR10. $150.

But the Panasonic UB820 might be the first player to offer all 3, DV, HDR10 and HDR10+ (dynamic like DV)! $500

:chase

Well.......lol

If you want 3D included then more than likely you won’t get DV support :gah:

If you can use another player for your 3D needs than the Sony X700 (not X800) offers both DV and HDR10. $150.

But the Panasonic UB820 might be the first player to offer all 3, DV, HDR10 and HDR10+ (dynamic like DV)! $500

:chase

I would have one player per TV so fortunately wouldn't need a 3D option for a 4K set. It's been a long time since I've owned a Sony product (PS2 would have literally been my last, lol) but I'll look into the X700. Thanks! :duff

What is wrong with edge lit and issues with it???

Back