The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dammit, I was considering entering the 4K arena this week. Best Buy has this 60" 4K LED for $1,299, $800 off.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...-4k-ultra-hd-tv-black/4209600.p?skuId=4209600

giphy.gif

There are, HDR10 v Dolby Vision.

Plus there's even a licensing battle over UHD Alliance Premium Certification labeling hence some of the 2016 4K HDR capable TV's NOT being labeled UHD Premium even though technically they are....sigh.

Get this, the 4K TV's from 2015 are already partially obsolete, only the 2016 mid to high end 4K models will be 100% HDR/10bit/WideColorGamut/P3ColorSpace ready with varying degree of performance % with the P3 Color Space!

The rule of thumb will be the more you spend the higher % of P3 Color will your TV be able to display.

I say partially for the 2015 models because at least they'll still be able to display at 4K resolution.

The 4K rollout so far has been a soft controlled disaster. :lol

It might never even take off, it just might remain a niche market while 1080p discs and streaming services equally and successfully share the bulk of the purchases

Good info thanks. None of my components are 4K capable at this point. I'm ok to wait this one out for a while. I've been planning on getting a JVC projector, but I'm interested in what Sony will come up with that's not uber expensive.

So, there is a Special Edition of The Martian coming out on June 7th. So glad I bought the movie 2 months ago!

:mad:

10 minutes plus different extras.

details Bast off to the Red Planet—and beyond—with The Martian 2-Disc Extended Edition, featuring an ALL-NEW EXTENDED CUT with over 10 minutes of action-packed footage not shown in theaters, plus hours of never-before-seen extras that take you deeper into the making of the film and the science behind it!

Nominated for 7 ACADEMY AWARDS®,* including Best Picture and Best Actor (Matt Damon), The Martian is a breathtaking sci-fi adventure directed by Ridley Scott (Alien, Prometheus) and based on the #1 New York Times best-selling novel. When an American astronaut (Damon) is left behind during a mission to Mars, he must find a way to survive on the barren planet until a team of scientists can devise a rescue plan to bring him home!

*The Martian, 2015: Actor, Best Picture, Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Visual Effects, Adapted Screenplay.
Bonus Features:
Disc 1: Theatrical and Extended Feature Blu-ray

**Theatrical and Extended Cut Audio Commentary by Ridley Scott, Drew Goddard and Andy Weir

Disc 2: Bonus Features

**The Long Way Home: Making The Martian
**Dare Mighty Things: NASAs Journey to Mars
**The Journey to Mars 101: NASAs Journey to Mars
**The Journey to Mars 101: Living on Mars and Beyond
**The Journey to Mars 101: Why Science Fiction Inspires Me
**Deleted Scenes
**Gag Reel
**Ares III: Refocused
**5 Ares Mission Videos
**And More!

Digital HD

• Genre: Action/Adventure
  • Release Date: June 7, 2016

I'll pass. I just can't do it for that.
That's why I respect Jackson.
He tells you, I'm working on an extended version. It will be out 8 months from now.
The decision then is yours.

I'll pass. I just can't do it for that.
That's why I respect Jackson.
He tells you, I'm working on an extended version. It will be out 8 months from now.
The decision then is yours.

They did talk about an extended edition before the first one came out. They just didn't say when it was coming.

Anyone that pre-ordered the Deadpool Steel book from Best Buy, email or call them about a price adjustment.

This Sunday and early Monday (5/1/2016 and 5/2/2016), the price briefly dropped to $19.99, as evidenced by this cached web page:

https://webcache.googleusercontent....D=1&siteID=f7sX52tQY3I-K5TZu_ZQrunK1JPGDXqUog

The price has since gone up to $24.99, but you can request that your order be price matched to the $19.99, per BestBuy.com policy:

"If the price of an item drops at Best Buy at any time before its scheduled delivery date, we will refund 100% of the difference, including tax."

After I emailed, I got a reply stating I will receive a price adjustment of $10 (pre-ordered at $29.99) but NOT until after it's released.

Given all the hoopla over the format, is it even worth getting any releases this early?

Well it's dual format (BD and UHD) so I'm not really losing anything by buying it.

HDR10 for all intents and purposes is what the industry wants to be known as just HDR. You won't see HDR10 printed on any TV boxes, just HDR.

Dolby Vision will actually use that specific brand name and more importantly it can NOT be implemented with a simple firmware software upgrade, an actual physical chip is required where as HDR10 can be made available to the consumers via a software update.

The word is that DV is the better of the 2 technologies (very scalable) but my guess is that the studios and TV manufacturers aren't too thrilled about paying Dolby for their proprietary licensing especially when HDR10 is an open standard platform.

But Dolby is such a powerful name in the industry that they just might get what they want, as it is their DV is being embraced by the streaming services.

This is a format war where both might win the battle, at least initially. :lol

Which means every product would have to support both formats which is just crazy, I can't imagine any scenario where the studio heads or electronic giants would find that to be a reasonable solution.

Just don't expect a $1,000 TV with DV to be as good as an $8,000 TV with HDR10 I don't care how scalable that technology is.

Last edited:
Anyone that pre-ordered the Deadpool Steel book from Best Buy, email or call them about a price adjustment.

This Sunday and early Monday (5/1/2016 and 5/2/2016), the price briefly dropped to $19.99, as evidenced by this cached web page:

https://webcache.googleusercontent....D=1&siteID=f7sX52tQY3I-K5TZu_ZQrunK1JPGDXqUog

The price has since gone up to $24.99, but you can request that your order be price matched to the $19.99, per BestBuy.com policy:

"If the price of an item drops at Best Buy at any time before its scheduled delivery date, we will refund 100% of the difference, including tax."

After I emailed, I got a reply stating I will receive a price adjustment of $10 (pre-ordered at $29.99) but NOT until after it's released.
I'm hoping when I go into work, I can get one. And hopefully it'll be 19.99.

And yes, the price match guarantee should be given regardless.

Back