The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bilbo-centric 2D? Nah. The movie itself is much more important than the packaging.

You get the best of both though. You could get the little mini 3D Comic-Con poster at the time of purchase and then the cover I took pictures of when the digibook arrived. The movie is but nothing wrong with picking out a cover you like as well. So I got the cover thats on the digibook plus I'm going to end up with due to friends two sets of the three cards Wal-Mart offered. It all worked out pretty good. :yess:

You get the best of both though. You could get the little mini 3D Comic-Con poster at the time of purchase and then the cover I took pictures of when the digibook arrived. The movie is but nothing wrong with picking out a cover you like as well. So I got the cover thats on the digibook plus I'm going to end up with due to friends two sets of the three cards Wal-Mart offered. It all worked out pretty good. :yess:

Oh you mean just buy multiple versions from different stores? Nah, I'm sure I'll be triple dipping on this movie already (this theatrical version, then EE, then possibly a boxed set of TE's and/or EE's) so I'm not going too crazy with multiples right now.

Go tell that to the people at Blu-ray.com :lol

Oh no, what are they complaining about over there?

Dude where is the precious?? **** 1 more day and I finally get to see it. I own a lot of blu rays but I never understood the cover obsession. For me its all about video quality and the movie its self. I don't stare at the cover for two hours. Who da hell does that

I do like steel books but only because they hold up well. I have about 250-300 blu rays and those hold up the best.

I don't know, maybe you could find a post where someone says they like to stare at the cover for two hours to provide context to your counterpoint? :dunno

There is no counterpoint other than buying a movie for packaging alone makes no sense since its the movie people watch right and the packaging will deteriorate over time/get banged up??? But then again that just opinion and why I said I don't get why people care about such things. If u care that's cool you can stare at the cover all you want or whatever enjoyment people get from it. Really why does the cover matter if you ain't gonna look at it?? Or even hold it for longer then it takes for u to pull the movie out and put it in player. Also maybe its just me, with so many movies I have a hard time finding them even when grouped. All I see is the backbone if the cover on display

Last edited:
Oh you mean just buy multiple versions from different stores? Nah, I'm sure I'll be triple dipping on this movie already (this theatrical version, then EE, then possibly a boxed set of TE's and/or EE's) so I'm not going too crazy with multiples right now.

You could do that. The little mini-cards were what you actually picked up at Wal-Mart when you ordered. The code to redeem for the digibook was on the inside of the card.

That all being said I do have a couple of the different covers coming. :lol

There is no counterpoint other than buying a movie for packaging alone makes no sense since its the movie people watch right and the packaging will deteriorate over time/get banged up??? But then again that just opinion and why I said I don't get why people care about such things. If u care that's cool you can stare at the cover all you want or whatever enjoyment people get from it

Ah. Yes buying a movie for packaging alone would be a bit odd. But I guess it all comes down to what you collect or how collectible you find certain things. People spend hundreds on package variants of antiquated children's action figures so grabbing a few extra blu-rays at retail probably isn't that extreme in that sense. It's all relative. :)

There is no counterpoint other than buying a movie for packaging alone makes no sense since its the movie people watch right and the packaging will deteriorate over time/get banged up??? But then again that just opinion and why I said I don't get why people care about such things. If u care that's cool you can stare at the cover all you want or whatever enjoyment people get from it. Really why does the cover matter if you ain't gonna look at it?? Or even hold it for longer then it takes for u to pull the movie out and put it in player. Also maybe its just me, with so many movies I have a hard time finding them even when grouped. All I see is the backbone if the cover on display

Buying a movie alone for just the cover seems odd but we're all odd in a way for what we collect. As far as The Hobbit I was going to buy it regardless (I'm a fan of Middle-earth). However, all the different choices of covers presented a problem for me. :lol I mainly went with Wal-Mart as my main choice because I liked the Digibook option, but I also love the posters they had at comic-con. Getting mini versions of at least three of them was what finished it for me. Having said that I only bought one from WM and was able to get the rest without buying multiple copies from WM.

The Criterion Collection has announced five titles for Blu-ray release in June. On June 11, the studio will release Ingmar Bergman's Wild Strawberries (1957). On June 18th, it will release William Cameron Menzies' Things to Come (1936), František Vlácil's Marketa Lazarová (1967), and Fred Newmeyer and Sam Taylor's Safety Last! (1923). And on June 25th, it will release Claude Lanzmann's Shoah (1985).

Wild Strawberries -

Traveling to accept an honorary degree, Professor Isak Borg—masterfully played by veteran director Victor Sjöström—is forced to face his past, come to terms with his faults, and make peace with the inevitability of his approaching death. Through flashbacks and fantasies, dreams and nightmares, Wild Strawberries dramatizes one man's remarkable voyage of self-discovery. This richly humane masterpiece, full of iconic imagery, is a treasure from the golden age of art-house cinema and one of the films that catapulted Ingmar Bergman to international acclaim.

Special Features:
New high-definition digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Audio commentary by film scholar Peter Cowie
Introduction by director Ingmar Bergman
Ingmar Bergman on Life and Work, a ninety-minute documentary by filmmaker and author Jörn Donner
Behind-the-scenes footage shot by Bergman
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film writer Mark Le Fanu

Things to Come -

A landmark collaboration between writer H. G. Wells, producer Alexander Korda, and designer and director William Cameron Menzies, Things to Come is a science fiction film like no other, a prescient political work that predicts a century of turmoil and progress. Skipping through time, Things to Come bears witness to world war, dictatorship, disease, the rise of television, and finally, utopia. Conceived, written, and overseen by Wells himself as an adaptation of his own work, this megabudgeted production, the most ambitious ever from Korda's London Films, is a triumph of imagination and technical audacity.

Special Features:
New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
Audio commentary featuring film historian and writer David Kalat
Interview with writer and cultural historian Christopher Frayling on the film's design
Film historian Bruce Eder on Arthur Bliss's musical score
Audio recording from 1936 of a reading from H. G. Wells's writing about the "wandering sickness," the plague in Things to Come
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Geoffrey O'Brien
More!

Marketa Lazarová -

In its home country, František Vlácil's Marketa Lazarová has been hailed as the greatest Czech film ever made; for many U.S. viewers, it will be a revelation. Based on a novel by Vladislav Vancura, this stirring and poetic depiction of a feud between two rival medieval clans is a fierce, epic, and meticulously designed evocation of the clashes between Christianity and paganism, humankind and nature, love and violence. Vlácil's approach was to re-create the textures and mentalities of a long-ago way of life, rather than to make a conventional historical drama, and the result is dazzling. With its inventive widescreen cinematography, editing, and sound design, Marketa Lazarová is an experimental action film.

Special Features:
New high-definition digital film restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
New interviews with actors Magda Vášáryová, Ivan Palúch, and Vlastimil Harapes and costume designer Theodor Pištek
New interviews with film historian Peter Hames and journalist and critic Antonín Liehm
New English subtitle translation
PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholar Tom Gunning and author and translator Alex Zucker and a 1969 interview with Vlácil by Liehm
More!

Safety Last! -

The comic genius of silent star Harold Lloyd is eternal. Chaplin was the sweet innocent, Keaton the stoic outsider, but Lloyd—the modern guy striving for success—is us. And with its torrent of perfectly executed gags and astonishing stunts, Safety Last! is the perfect introduction to him. Lloyd plays a small-town bumpkin trying to make it in the big city, who finds employment as a lowly department-store clerk. He comes up with a wild publicity stunt to draw attention to the store, resulting in an incredible feat of derring-do on his part that gets him started on the climb to success. Laugh-out-loud funny and jaw-dropping in equal measure, Safety Last! is a movie experience par excellence, anchored by a genuine legend.

Special Features:
New 2K digital film restoration
Musical score by composer Carl Davis from 1989, synchronized and restored under his supervision and presented in uncompressed stereo on the Blu-ray edition
Alternate score by organist Gaylord Carter from the late 1960s, presented in uncompressed monaural on the Blu-ray edition
Audio commentary featuring film critic Leonard Maltin and director and Harold Lloyd archivist Richard Correll
Introduction by Suzanne Lloyd, Lloyd's granddaughter and president of Harold Lloyd Entertainment
Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius, a 104-minute documentary from 1989
Three newly restored Lloyd shorts: Take a Chance (1918), Young Mr. Jazz (1919), and His Royal Slyness (1920), with commentary by Correll and film writer John Bengtson
Locations and Effects, a new documentary featuring Bengtson and special effects expert Craig Barron
New interview with Davis
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Ed Park

Shoah -

Over a decade in the making, Claude Lanzmann's nine-hour-plus opus is a monumental investigation of the unthinkable: the murder of more than six million Jews by the Nazis. Using no archival footage, Lanzmann instead focuses on first-person testimonies (of survivors and former Nazis, as well as other witnesses), employing a circular, free-associative method in assembling them. The intellectual yet emotionally overwhelming Shoah is not a film about excavating the past but an intensive portrait of the ways in which the past is always present, and it is inarguably one of the most important cinematic works of all time.

Special Features:
Three additional films by director Claude Lanzmann: A Visitor from the Living (1999, 68 minutes), Sobibor, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m. (2001, 102 minutes), and The Karski Report (2010, 54 minutes)
New conversation between critic Serge Toubiana and Lanzmann
Interview with Lanzmann about A Visitor from the Living and Sobibor
New conversation between associate director of photography Caroline Champetier and filmmaker Arnaud Desplechin
Trailer
PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and writings by Lanzmann

139_BD_box_348x490.jpg

660_BD_box_348x490.jpg

661_BD_box_348x490.jpg

662_BD_box_348x490.jpg

663_BD_box_348x490.jpg

As for the movie packaging discussion, we all like what we like, but I don't see how anyone who collects anything, could not understand collectors collecting packaging. Yes, the movie comes first and foremost, but that doesn't mean someone can't enjoy and collect packaging; and once you start collecting packaging, the collector takes over and it isn't a stretch that one might buy a movie for the packaging first and then enjoy the movie second.

Is the briefcase metal?

Do you think you are getting a light up metal briefcase, with movies and extras for $150? No way is that case metal, it looks very plastic in the pictures.

I was right from Entertainment Weekly:

The new box set comes in a plastic briefcase that also contains a light-up Tesseract (the series' glowing MacGuffin) and case folders filled with meticulously reproduced elements from the films, such as Captain America's selective-service record and Thor's driver's license. These memorabilia are among the set's main draws for fans. The superhero-size EXTRAS include featurettes, director commentaries, new deleted scenes, and a handful of short films called Marvel One-Shots. It's all expertly curated, but still the same kinds of studio-approved add-ons that aim to give insight into minor design elements like the weight of Thor's hammer and Hugo Weaving's hours of makeup as the Red Skull, many of which were available with the films' individual Blu-ray releases. There's also a hidden tease for the already under-way Phase Two, including new footage from Iron Man 3 and Ant-Man. Inevitably, Phase Two will have its own box set, as Marvel moves on to the next step in its master plan for world moviegoing domination

Last edited:
Back