The "All things TERMINATOR" thread.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those you have seen Dark Fate: do they say that the "Carl" T-800 was reprogrammed at some point?

I ask because I keep reading a lot of comments comparing Carl to Uncle Bob from T2, in terms of "evolving" into human-like behavior. But the T-800 in T2 was *reprogrammed.* That reprogramming would change the functionality of the AI in that model. Uncle Bob's Skynet programming would have been scrubbed in order to get him to help the resistance (humans). After being re-calibrated to protect John (and follow his orders), his AI would alter how he "behaves" in that role.

But if Carl was never reprogrammed, he'd essentially be like the T-800 in the first movie. I don't see how or why that version would *ever* eventually want to "fit in" and find satisfaction in selling drapes. So, does DF offer any explanation about reprogramming?

Carl states that he had no objective after killing John so he created one for himself. I can understand thinking "well why didn't his new objective involve killing since that what he was originally designed for." I mean Ted Bundy had purpose. Jack the Ripper had purpose. Why not just emulate those guys since he too was a "killer?" And one thought would be that like his one directive that states "no self-terminating" T-800's might have another directive that states "never jeopardize the existence of Skynet." And after John was killed he might have seen any other human as a potential "Miles Dyson" whose death could have a butterfly effect that causes Skynet to ultimately lose.

Also going on a nationwide murder spree could make himself so high profile that even if he didn't kill anyone "important" that when he is finally taken down by the US military (who would be called in to deal with him eventually) the ramifications of such a high profile robot killer could lead to laws being passed disallowing any future research on AI or robots period. Who knows what mathematical equations that he could have conducted in nano-seconds to decide the next best course of action.

I do think that they could have driven home the "no human emotions" better though. Obviously him stating point blank to Sarah that he has no true "love" for his family (and showing it by having him immediately leave them high and dry!) were not enough for a lot of people. Because even though he stated that outright many people still seemingly believe (based on comments in this thread) that he felt true remorse, which is another human emotion. Remember that T-800's have data responses that *emulate* human feelings (like pain receptors, protectiveness that might appear as love, and so on) but aren't genuinely so.

I think that it might have helped some people's perception of Carl if when he met the group at the door and Sarah said "this thing killed John!" that they cut to Carl's POV and show that old NPC response display and have it be something like this:

Possible responses:

1. Good riddance
2. F--k off
3. I had no choice
4. I regret doing that

And then you see #4 highlighted before he gives his response. Then people could more easily go "oh, he's clinically choosing the best response to advance his agenda but doesn't really feel that."

As it stands I still think that Carl is closer to Uncle Bob than Uncle Bob is to the original Terminator. I can believe a Carl could exist after T2 but I still don't see how reprogramming the silent and brutal assassin in the original would suddenly have him hugging and doing high fives. In other words I think if you can accept T2 then DF is less of a stretch, even though it admittedly is still a stretch.

For those you have seen Dark Fate: do they say that the "Carl" T-800 was reprogrammed at some point?

I ask because I keep reading a lot of comments comparing Carl to Uncle Bob from T2, in terms of "evolving" into human-like behavior. But the T-800 in T2 was *reprogrammed.* That reprogramming would change the functionality of the AI in that model. Uncle Bob's Skynet programming would have been scrubbed in order to get him to help the resistance (humans). After being re-calibrated to protect John (and follow his orders), his AI would alter how he "behaves" in that role.

But if Carl was never reprogrammed, he'd essentially be like the T-800 in the first movie. I don't see how or why that version would *ever* eventually want to "fit in" and find satisfaction in selling drapes. So, does DF offer any explanation about reprogramming?

It's difficult to process, I agree. And I'm trying. There may be ways to rationalize it, many of which Khev has gone into, but what bugs me is that the film (still haven't seen it mind you) probably doesn't bother even trying to explain. Their attitude was 'remember T2? That happened again' and we're like ''NO! There was a very particular set of reasons why and how that happened in T2, this is different'' to which Dark Fate just shrugs it shoulders and says ''I'm just a movie'' :banghead The James Cameron of old would do better than that.

So the problem is how would a Terminator on Skynet programming end up like Carl when its general inclination seems to be to kill people. And on the basis of T2 this inclination doesn't really go away. It will only stop killing if ordered to by someone whose orders it is programmed to follow.

I have a theory, probably not touched on by Dark Fate nor any movie before and I'm only entertaining this idea as a sort of Devils advocate for what Dark Fate has done but here goes:

Terminators are only Terminators while they have a specific mission to follow. If they don't have a mission (or no longer have a mission because they completed it) they simply become walking AIs. In T1 the T-800 was programmed to kill Sarah Connor and it made decisions on who else to kill and not kill as it moved towards that goal. Maybe it deemed that the other people it killed would be threats to the mission in some way - either witnesses who would alert the authorities (like the gunshop owner who would obviously report that some guy had just stolen guns and ammunition from his shop) or the authorities themselves who were direct threats. However in the end this T-800 fails his mission and is destroyed.

In the case of Uncle Bob even a protection mission might entail killing for all anyone knows and so as long as he had a mission Uncle Bob was open to killing until John ordered that he not do it. But as we know we can't really look at Uncle Bob because his mission facilitated the learning curve he had in ways that the 1984 T-800's mission never would.

So now we have Carl the T-800. He kills who he was told to kill and seemingly had no other specific directives from Skynet - as silly as that is. With no mission to be endangered he no longer considers it necessary to kill anyone and - this is where Khev's suggestion comes in - he shifts into pure infiltration mode. Killing random people endangers successful infiltration so he doesn't do it anymore.

He is still however a learning AI (since ''read-only'' is no longer a thing apparently) and his interactions with humans over a course of 30 years turn him into Carl.

Last edited:
I haven't read Khev's answer yet, have to log off for now though....

Lol, but you echo some of my own theories so yes I'd say everything you posted is valid.

And I agree that it's frustrating that while there is enough leeway in the narrative to believe that things could have played out that way it's still annoying to think that we might be pondering that leeway more than the actual writers did. It really is Alien 3 all over again with the unceremonious dispatching of a white male and child (with John Connor representing both this time though, lol) and that damn "magic egg" that appears on the Sulaco that inexplicably:

1. Appeared in the first place
2. Impregnated both Ripley and the dog

And before anyone says "Royal Facehugger" (which still doesn't account for the egg getting there in the first place) remember that the theatrical cut only shows a regular facehugger.

And if DiFabio had been old enough to watch R-rated films in 1992 (;)) he would have been online calling bull**** about Alien 3 while others tried to fill in the blanks. Hell even with DF's issues it still doesn't have plot holes as big as A3. And A3 is by and large pretty well respected these days. I really see A3 and DF as two sides of the same problematic coin:

1. Alien 3 = Bad premise but great execution
2. Dark Fate = Good premise but execution ranging from good to bad

Which puts both in the "take it or leave it" bin depending on the preferences of each person who sees them.

Holy double epic post Khev!

Damn son I swear only you can come and give DiFabio?s epic destruction of DF a true counter attack with near devastating results.

DiFabio?s argument comes from a deep emotional disgust of these bean counters and story groups taking a dump on his beloved movies with their modern views it is super insulting to him he is the equivalent of Agent Smith who can?t stand the stench of these corporate studio automatons acting like they know how to handle these characters that he so lovingly buys dolls of. Because it is so personal for him he pulverizes any variation in logic and snuffs the life from these abhorrent aberrations with extreme prejudice.

You approach it from an analytical angle with sweeping narrative comparisons of multiple properties treating them like a super structure made of connective puzzle pieces where every story beat is interwoven with swiss watch precision. One small variation and you?re on it like Snikt on vampire lore. The difference is that you forgive the % that works while calling out the unfortunate parts that don?t.

Neither approach is wrong mind you.

Wor-Gar is just a grumpy old fart lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy double epic post Khev!

Damn son I swear only you can come and give DiFabio?s epic destruction of DF a true counter attack with near devastating results.

DiFabio?s argument comes from a deep emotional disgust of these bean counters and story groups taking a dump on his beloved movies with their modern views it is super insulting to him he is the equivalent of Agent Smith who can?t stand the stench of these corporate studio automatons acting like they know how to handle these characters that he so lovingly buys dolls of. Because it is so personal for him he pulverizes any variation in logic and snuffs the life from these abhorrent aberrations with extreme prejudice.

You approach it from an analytical angle with sweeping narrative comparisons of multiple properties treating them like a super structure made of connective puzzle pieces where every story beat is interwoven with swiss watch precision. One small variation and you?re on it like Snikt on vampire lore. The difference is that you forgive the % that works while calling out the unfortunate parts that don?t.

Neither approach is wrong mind you.

Wor-Gar is just a grumpy old fart lol

Lol about Wor-Gar and lol about SNIKT's vampire lore. :lol That's why I do genuinely miss the guy. He was like the anti-matter version of me with his theories and head canons so how could I not appreciate his spirit.

And yeah I get why DiFabio or people with his mindset would be disgusted by DF. And like you said he isn't wrong to feel that way. I just try to extract films from their own real world timelines and context and ask would this film be problematic in 1992? Or would this 1992 film (or any other year) be seen with the same hatred if released today? And if all it comes down to is current year biases that determine whether a film is bad then I tend to dismiss such criticisms. People were going on an on for months prior to DF's release about how it was full SJW with the "androgenous thing" (Grace) being a supposedly huge example of that.

Well Linda Hamilton just stated this month that Cameron wanted her to cut her hair short for T2 and she said no. So Grace's look isn't a 2019 SJW "unfeminized female" thing it's just Cameron continuing to like butch military women. If ALIENS came out today people would probably call out Vasquez and Ferro as being androgynous and Ripley for having to cut her locks as well. But that's just Cameron being Cameron in any era and Grace's look is no different.

And yeah even DiFabio openly gives a pass to inconsistencies in film's he likes (Uncle Bob doesn't kill bikers, T-1000 doesn't dispatch John when most convenient--"well it's only a movie!") but then "it's only a movie" is suddenly *invalid* when hand waving away some of DF's issues. Now to be clear I'm not saying that's a *wrong* way to evaluate a film because we all have our limits as to what we'll hand wave away. But it does show how arbitrary and based on singular bias such criticisms are.

Because if you want to get objective then the opening of DF doesn't "crap on the legacy" any more than the opening of Alien 3 or Friday the 13th Part II did. And the stretches in Carl's behavior are no greater than the stretches we turn a blind eye toward for Uncle Bob and the T-1000 (wagging his finger instead of immediately rushing to kill John, really?) so it just comes down to arbitrary preference on those issues.

I think where we can all agree that DF breaks ranks from T1/T2 are with the Matrix Reloaded-style CG added to the car chases and the surprisingly uncharismatic actor who plays the Rev-9. Arnold and Robert Patrick's performances are legendary and it's like they didn't even try with the new guy.

Carl states that he had no objective after killing John so he created one for himself. I can understand thinking "well why didn't his new objective involve killing since that what he was originally designed for." I mean Ted Bundy had purpose. Jack the Ripper had purpose. Why not just emulate those guys since he too was a "killer?" And one thought would be that like his one directive that states "no self-terminating" T-800's might have another directive that states "never jeopardize the existence of Skynet." And after John was killed he might have seen any other human as a potential "Miles Dyson" whose death could have a butterfly effect that causes Skynet to ultimately lose.

Also going on a nationwide murder spree could make himself so high profile that even if he didn't kill anyone "important" that when he is finally taken down by the US military (who would be called in to deal with him eventually) the ramifications of such a high profile robot killer could lead to laws being passed disallowing any future research on AI or robots period. Who knows what mathematical equations that he could have conducted in nano-seconds to decide the next best course of action.

First of all, thank you for clarifying that there's no reprogramming scenario for Carl, and how his "new mission" gets explained. Very much appreciated! :duff

I agree with you, for all of the reasons that you state, that it would be problematic for him to go around just killing people after the mission to terminate John was completed. But, aside from the silliness that Skynet wouldn't program secondary objectives into its T-800's upon completion of the primary mission (as a-dev points out in the post following yours), I think there's still a logic problem with Carl's self-generated new objective.

If Carl continued to function in society, and eventually learned that Skynet's origin had been wiped out in 1992, why wouldn't he default to an objective that resets Skynet building blocks? Why would he just accept a future with no Skynet instead of using his historical data, a ton of advanced technology within him, and an AI more advanced than anything in the modern day to try restarting it?

In other words, I could see this movie having been a story about a Terminator actually being the one to start building the Skynet of the future in sort of a self-fulfilling loop. It would undo the achievement at the end of T2, but that was undone anyway by having this "Legion" plot. What I can't understand is the story logic that says a T-800 would find itself with no purpose, and rectify that by choosing to help individuals and families in trouble. That's a very hard sell for me.

As it stands I still think that Carl is closer to Uncle Bob than Uncle Bob is to the original Terminator. I can believe a Carl could exist after T2 but I still don't see how reprogramming the silent and brutal assassin in the original would suddenly have him hugging and doing high fives. In other words I think if you can accept T2 then DF is less of a stretch, even though it admittedly is still a stretch.

The way I rationalize it is that a T-800 is basically an adapting super-intellect that must constantly re-assess its approach whenever encountering obstacles. With its default programming to kill a target(s), it keeps re-assessing the behavior of its target in order to compensate and anticipate. The goal of that being to modify responses in order to achieve the most efficient capture and kill.

By being reprogrammed to serve and *protect* a human, the T-800 (Uncle Bob) learns and adapts to whatever behavior keeps John safest. If that means building trust and camaraderie with young John, then that's what "Uncle Bob" will learn to do. Having the Skynet programming scrubbed means having a clean slate for an advanced AI.

The T2 version of a more "human" T-800 makes sense to me because of that reprogramming. But Carl is essentially a T1 version, programmed by Skynet. His "human" behavior makes no sense without the T2 reprogramming context.

It's difficult to process, I agree. And I'm trying. There may be ways to rationalize it, many of which Khev has gone into, but what bugs me is that the film (still haven't seen it mind you) probably doesn't bother even trying to explain. Their attitude was 'remember T2? That happened again' and we're like ''NO! There was a very particular set of reasons why and how that happened in T2, this is different'' to which Dark Fate just shrugs it shoulders and says ''I'm just a movie'' :banghead The James Cameron of old would do better than that.

So the problem is how would a Terminator on Skynet programming end up like Carl when its general inclination seems to be to kill people. And on the basis of T2 this inclination doesn't really go away. It will only stop killing if ordered to by someone whose orders it is programmed to follow.

I have a theory, probably not touched on by Dark Fate nor any movie before and I'm only entertaining this idea as a sort of Devils advocate for what Dark Fate has done but here goes:

Terminators are only Terminators while they have a specific mission to follow. If they don't have a mission (or no longer have a mission because they completed it) they simply become walking AIs. In T1 the T-800 was programmed to kill Sarah Connor and it made decisions on who else to kill and not kill as it moved towards that goal. Maybe it deemed that the other people it killed would be threats to the mission in some way - either witnesses who would alert the authorities (like the gunshop owner who would obviously report that some guy had just stolen guns and ammunition from his shop) or the authorities themselves who were direct threats. However in the end this T-800 fails his mission and is destroyed.

In the case of Uncle Bob even a protection mission might entail killing for all anyone knows and so as long as he had a mission Uncle Bob was open to killing until John ordered that he not do it. But as we know we can't really look at Uncle Bob because his mission facilitated the learning curve he had in ways that the 1984 T-800's mission never would.

So now we have Carl the T-800. He kills who he was told to kill and seemingly had no other specific directives from Skynet - as silly seeming as that is. With no mission to be endangered he no longer considers it necessary to kill anyone and - this is where Khev's suggestion comes in - he shifts into pure infiltration mode. Killing random people endangers successful infiltration so he doesn't do it anymore.

He is still however a learning AI (since ''read-only'' is no longer a thing apparently) and his interactions with humans over a course of 30 years turn him into Carl.

Your logic (just like Khev's logic) for why a T-800 would stop killing is fine, and I can completely agree with it. But Carl understanding the inherent dangers of killing people beyond his target list doesn't mean that there's any logical reason to become a "domesticated" AI being. It is programmed as a Skynet soldier. To me, preserving Skynet objectives should be all this machine does. *Unless* it gets reprogrammed by someone, which Carl didn't.

The "likeable" terminator works great with Bob in T2 because there's a foundation for it. It can also work whenever those same foundational plot points are used. But it doesn't seem like Dark Fate bothers to incorporate any of that. Like you say, it seems that they just said "let's do the T2 formula for Arnold's Carl character," and didn't give a damn about why that doesn't work without the same context from T2. :slap

Now hurry up and watch this movie so I can read your thoughts about how it plays on screen versus reading plot points. :lol

Okay so I'm sure this is going to rustle some jimmies...

I finally watched T2: Battle Across Time and it is awful. I understand it's supposed to be a ride and such, but the reputation it had left me to believe it was some long lost key to continuing the series forward. I have no idea how that's lauded to the standard it is. I can't even begin to imagine criticising Dark Fate yet praising that comparatively.

Yeah ajp I could definitely see a T-800 having a secondary objective to seek out and assist (and even offer up it's own CPU if necessary) any humans working to develop Skynet. The opposite of the "no one must follow your work" approach. But I handwave that away with the assumption that Skynet just didn't want to risk monkeying with its own timeline in a way that might backfire.

"Miles Dyson's successor? I'm here to provide my technology to assist in your work." (rips flesh off own arm)

"Aiiieeee! Kill it, kill it!" *has heart attack and dies, project is terminated.*

;)

I do agree that it would have been cool if they had found a way to retain the "of course, I'm a terminator" aspect with Carl. Like when describing his business Sarah asks why he chose the name Carl and he said that was the name of the guy he killed to get the van or something and have everyone be all "wait, what" and then he says "my wife always laughs when I say that, she thinks I'm very funny."

Yeah ajp I could definitely see a T-800 having a secondary objective to seek out and assist (and even offer up it's own CPU if necessary) any humans working to develop Skynet. The opposite of the "no one must follow your work" approach. But I handwave that away with the assumption that Skynet just didn't want to risk monkeying with its own timeline in a way that might backfire.

"Miles Dyson's successor? I'm here to provide my technology to assist in your work." (rips flesh off own arm)

"Aiiieeee! Kill it, kill it!" *has heart attack and dies, project is terminated.*

;)

I do agree that it would have been cool if they had found a way to retain the "of course, I'm a terminator" aspect with Carl. Like when describing his business Sarah asks why he chose the name Carl and he said that was the name of the guy he killed to get the van or something and have everyone be all "wait, what" and then he says "my wife always laughs when I say that, she thinks I'm very funny."

Skynet probably knows that whatever is created from a T-800 in the past will probably not be the same "Skynet" that it is. We know that the ending of T1 already jump-started the development of Skynet. We never got to know if it's the same Skynet though.

And this is where we fundamentally disagree.

Your hang up seems to be the presentation of the Terminator in T2 more than anything, which is a real shame. He is much better written (and acted). The hugging and high fives you?re referring to are all initiated by John. In fact, the Terminator gives John a look like he is about to kill him when he pulls the high five trick on him. The same death glare he sports in several scenes in the first one, but does not have in any of the sequels after T2. As previously discussed, these are all actions that John is imprinting onto the Terminator. In both T1 and T2, the Terminator is essentially an easily impressionable child. If he?s around punks, he?s going to call janitors ass holes and tell them to go **** themselves. If he?s around a 10 year old, he?s going to call security guards **** wads. This kind of behavior makes for the ultimate bad ass. Not a dude that owns a drapery business. Get real Khev.

The first two are cut from the same cloth. Not just the character of the Terminator, but everything from James Cameron and Bill Wisher being the writers. Arnold, Linda Hamilton, Michael Biehn and Earl Boen returning. Stan Winston and his team doing the visual effects. Brad Fiedel?s score. T1 and T2 have the same connective tissue and DNA. To say Dark Fate is close to either of them (or the other Terminator movies that have come and gone over the years) is insulting.

And yeah even DiFabio openly gives a pass to inconsistencies in film's he likes (Uncle Bob doesn't kill bikers, T-1000 doesn't dispatch John when most convenient--"well it's only a movie!") but then "it's only a movie" is suddenly *invalid* when hand waving away some of DF's issues. Now to be clear I'm not saying that's a *wrong* way to evaluate a film because we all have our limits as to what we'll hand wave away. But it does show how arbitrary and based on singular bias such criticisms are.

Because if you want to get objective then the opening of DF doesn't "crap on the legacy" any more than the opening of Alien 3 or Friday the 13th Part II did. And the stretches in Carl's behavior are no greater than the stretches we turn a blind eye toward for Uncle Bob and the T-1000 (wagging his finger instead of immediately rushing to kill John, really?) so it just comes down to arbitrary preference on those issues.

I gave several examples where the T1 Terminator simply grapples with someone without killing them, just like the bikers in the beginning of T2. Again, that is your hang up with T2, not mine. You even pointed out Cameron?s commentary reasoning for doing so (which goes into my reasoning of it being a movie and having the tone of the character?s actions reflect what the story is trying to achieve, which in the case of T2 is take a villlain and make him a hero).

T-1000 wagging his finger? Really? :lol

He can?t rush or run after anyone at the end of the film because the liquid nitrogen and thawing severely damaged him to the point that he is glitching and unstable. There is a reason he is casually walking towards the three of them the entire time instead of sprinting like he did in the beginning of the film. He?s ****ed up. Just like the Terminator gets ****ed up in the first film, hobbling after Reese and Sarah. The T-800 could have ignored Reese and went down the steps after Sarah. It didn’t. Instead it makes an effort to pimp slap the life out of Reese.

Anyway, of course I’m going to defend two films that I actually love as opposed to a massive stinking turd like Dark Fate. Dark Fate contradicts and undermines nearly everything that is established in the first two films. Saying it **** on them is an understatement. The people that made Dark Fate clearly don’t understand what made the Terminator films special and sadly, I think that includes James Cameron, who seems to be an old lefty cuck himself.

Wow.. So much reading.. I will have to go back and see what people thought of this film..

I thought it was pretty bad and very DUMB.

I see people are asking about Carl becoming good due to no purpose and how that ties in with T2 because he needed the chip tuned on in order to become more human.

Simple answer really.. Just like part 2, 3, 4, and 5.... They ignored the directors cut of T2 and made up their own logic..

T1: 10/10
T2: 9.5/10
TDF: 6/10

A drop in quality no doubt but it's got enough redeeming qualities for me to accept it as canon and more importantly much more enjoyable elements to think about and discuss than anything since T2.

Yikes.. 6 out of 10??

Man.. The lack of a good Terminator villain knocks it down to a 5 out of 10 right off the bat.. Actor had no presence at all.

Lynda Hamilton as Grumpy old cool woman was eye rolling throughout..

Half Terminator girl was Ok. The new JC was ok I guess...

Action was boring and over the top. Some of the CGI was just awful and took me out of the movie.

Arnie was the best part.

T1 10/10
T2 8/10 (I go hot and cold on this movie)
T3 5.5/10
T4 7/10
T5 1/10
T6 3/10

Terminator films need to get back to being a Horror movie like the first one..

Its why I like T4.. Its the only one with some horror elements..

Last edited:
OMG Khev made a 24 min video on this.. There is no way I could talk about this movie for 24 min :lol :lol

AS for JC getting killed.. I agree Khev.. It was cool but that is becasue I hated JC in T2 :lol

To say Dark Fate is close to either of them (or the other Terminator movies that have come and gone over the years) is insulting.

I didn't say that DF was close to T1 or T2. I said I give T1 a 10, T2 a 9.5, and DF a 6. I just think that Carl is closer to Uncle Bob than Uncle Bob is to the original Terminator. But that doesn't mean I have contempt for Uncle Bob, far from it. I just think that the original is his whole own awesome thing. Once I accept T2 then I don't find DF to be that much bigger of a leap.

As for the films themselves DF is quite generic and forgettable as a straight action picture which is too bad. And how can Cameron expect us to really lump it in with T1 and T2 with no extended overture during the opening credits? T1 and T2 had some of my favorite opening credits ever and DF once again, goes for plain and generic.

I compare a lot of what DF did to Alien 3 but even A3 I can give a solid 8/10 just on atmosphere and execution alone. DF was sadly lacking in both those areas though except the one sweet future sequence.

Khev.. You need fully honest with your grade for this film... Listening to your video you need to giv this film the 9 out of 10 you want to. :lol

:lol

My grades were with regard to the quality of the overall films. I love the idea of some sort of future war with AI being inevitable, I loved the opening scene with JC, I really like Arnold and Linda in this and I really like the idea of the AI's all eventually wanting to behave like humans and all those elements give me a certain enthusiasm for the picture but there are too many aspects that were just okay or sub-par for me to actually give it a score higher than maybe a 6.

You say that the weak villain instantly knocks it down to a 5/10 and I might have agreed except for the fact that I liked the black endos and it did appear often enough for me to not get too down on the new guy, lol.

I do wonder if the generic, non-atmospheric execution for so much of it will keep me from coming back to this one, we'll see.

Because another thing I didn't love was the super soft R-rating. Other than the opening scene shocker (which I already knew about) there was never a point where I was ever nervous about what the Rev-9 would do. The 1984 Terminator was freaky, ripping people's hearts out and gunning down over a dozen cops who screamed in terror and pain as they bled out. Then the T-1000 would gruesomely dispatch people in abrupt fashion by impaling creepy prosthetic heads that would bleed, twitch unsettlingly, etc. Even the new Joker kind of had me squirming nervously as I wondered what he might do to the people who came within arm's reach of him.

But this new "R-rated" film that barely even wanted to show us heavily shadowed butt cheeks? It definitely could have upped the ante in the disturbing violence department.

Last edited:
Okay so I'm sure this is going to rustle some jimmies...

I finally watched T2: Battle Across Time and it is awful. I understand it's supposed to be a ride and such, but the reputation it had left me to believe it was some long lost key to continuing the series forward. I have no idea how that's lauded to the standard it is. I can't even begin to imagine criticising Dark Fate yet praising that comparatively.

You've clearly never seen the show the way it's intended, and probably never will now that it's permanently closed everywhere besides Japan. T2:3D was amazing, especially at the time of its release. The 3D effects, live action sequences, smoke, water/wind-effects, we're all
top notch. It's exactly the type of film you'd want to see story boarded into "T3" if cameron ever did a true sequel. What could be cooler than Arnie in his prime with Eddie furlong(before he was all coked up, or at least not fully lol) taking the fight to skynet head on in the future war? Seeing it in person is a lot different than watching it on YouTube or whatever. Not to mention that was back when Cameron still had his mojo and didn't go full blown Avatar. No terminator sequel(besides T2 obviously) has even come close to that level of quality, and now probably never will.

Back