Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Toy Fair seems like the perfect place for someone to ask them! Anyone out there?

If not, there will be plenty of us who'll go to SDCC or NYCC. No excuses. I will definitely ask them about R2 again if there's been any progress when I go to NYCC this year.

Oh and nice photos, Pirate! I always thought you could kinda do ESB Bespin Threepio in pieces with this figure. If only we had Chewie to carry him! :impatient:

That's what I was saying in the R2/3PO PF thread.

Those who had some defect in their 3PO PF, and had to destroy it per Sideshow's rules, should keep it and do a Bespin 3PO for the Chewie PF that was released.
That would have been awesome!

It only makes sense if you're prepared to undervalue one's aesthetic response to a material that handles the way it looks. My take is that the weight of a metallic-looking figure contributes something to its perceived authenticity - it looks like metal and is heavy, it's 'real'. If it looks like metal but is light then there's a mild but perceptible cognitive dissonance that reveals the counterfeit nature of the material - that is, it looks like metal but it's actually plastic.

I care about that stuff. I don't care about wear on the joints, potential for chipping paint and all the other highly functional considerations that determine the perceived worth of die-cast figures - certainly where the use of a metal material is appropriate for the character anyhow.

Well.. yeah.

I guess I'm a bit inconsistent with how I view it all. A plastic 3PO = kahakah to me. If somebody had made an equivalent figure in plastic.. it wouldn't be right.

The recent HT RoboCop reveal was a frustrating combo of no Weller likeness (understandable in context), tacky sound gimmick, & the die-cast parts - which bumped up the overall asking price in the end. In that case - I'm glad anyway, because the next one sounds more my vibe. I'd be happy with a mostly plastic Murphy, that's as good as the HT Mk4 Iron Man.

Iron Man? Sure - all of these can work either way, but if I didn't already have the Mk4.. I might've considered one of the die-cast figures - MAYBE.. that's if they're even making the Mk4. I'm betting they're ALL going to be stupidly priced anyway - & needless to say, I ain't going there. :lol

The R2-D2 is here!!!

The die-cast is THE ONLY WAY to go with these figures, IMHO. And these are meant to be made out of metal: these are droids, for god's sake... Plastic droids (or armor), c'mon... Just cut the crap. Diecast means quality these days and I simply love to handle these, because there's some weight to them. That's why I've ordered all the Hot Toys' Diecast figures - except for the War Machine Mark II, because it wasn't in the movies. But yeah, just wanted to say "Hello" to you guys :wink1:

And, please, stop talking --> if you don't have any news on the R2 unit. The situation is frustrating enough, anyways. Here's a couple of shots of my Threepio on my workbench - with my Artoos :lol

d.jpg

e.jpg

I've learned to live with my C-3PO. Those tiny issues don't bother me too much anymore. After all, these are individuals. But Sideshow still sucks arse. I prefer some other companies, when I'm buying collectibles. SS = not trustworthy. But that's only my opinion, of course, and I don't want to start a debate on the subject. You can do what ever you want to do. It's just not something that I would recommend. Period.

BTW, this new outlook sucks. Doesn't work as well as the old one did. I wonder why do they have to change stuff like this. Begins to resemble YouTube...

Outlook? Sideshow? Individuals? Armor? Youtube? Trustworthy? Telling other people not to post?

Ok, this is starting to sound like lunatic rambling.

Re: The R2-D2 is here!!!

Ok, this is starting to sound like lunatic rambling.

Well, pixelpiper, there has been some lunatic rambling for as long as you've been posting your nonsense rambles here, so yes, I do have to agree on that one.

...great way to introduce yourself. :wave

The F R U talking about?? :lol

It only makes sense if you're prepared to undervalue one's aesthetic response to a material that handles the way it looks. My take is that the weight of a metallic-looking figure contributes something to its perceived authenticity - it looks like metal and is heavy, it's 'real'. If it looks like metal but is light then there's a mild but perceptible cognitive dissonance that reveals the counterfeit nature of the material - that is, it looks like metal but it's actually plastic.

I care about that stuff. I don't care about wear on the joints, potential for chipping paint and all the other highly functional considerations that determine the perceived worth of die-cast figures - certainly where the use of a metal material is appropriate for the character anyhow.

One of the best examples of this, as a matter of fact, is the R2D2 PF.
Looks great in every way and paint app, with the weathered version, is a homerun.
But you pick it up and it feels lighter than a 1/6 figure. WTF?! :(

The die-cast is THE ONLY WAY to go with these figures, IMHO. And these are meant to be made out of metal: these are droids, for god's sake... Plastic droids (or armor), c'mon... Just cut the crap. Diecast means quality these days and I simply love to handle these, because there's some weight to them. That's why I've ordered all the Hot Toys' Diecast figures - except for the War Machine Mark II, because it wasn't in the movies. But yeah, just wanted to say "Hello" to you guys :wink1:

And, please, stop talking --> if you don't have any news on the R2 unit. The situation is frustrating enough, anyways. Here's a couple of shots of my Threepio on my workbench - with my Artoos :lol

I've learned to live with my C-3PO. Those tiny issues don't bother me too much anymore. After all, these are individuals. But Sideshow still sucks arse. I prefer some other companies, when I'm buying collectibles. SS = not trustworthy. But that's only my opinion, of course, and I don't want to start a debate on the subject. You can do what ever you want to do. It's just not something that I would recommend. Period.

BTW, this new outlook sucks. Doesn't work as well as the old one did. I wonder why do they have to change stuff like this. Begins to resemble YouTube...

tumblr_mgukpsMBCn1ryeaxwo1_250.gif

View attachment 94678

Well, thanks for posting, SSS, as well as sharing the nice photos. I love how you express your passion for die-cast figures then show your Threepio figure standing next to an R2-D2 iPhone case! That image sums up how desperate we are on any further word on whether Tamashii's Artoo figure will ever see the light of day. :gah:

Back