Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The more I think about it, one can not have enough R2 in their collection. He goes with so many figures. I may even pic up the HT one and display him with the bespin Luke and Yoda :)

:lecture
yes this needs further explaination still. Guess I'll need to ask at comicon... unless of course some folks are going to get into the weeds about it today. Those notches just simply make no sense. They look like tree connection remnants or something, but that wouldn't make much sense.

They're needed to open the panels. The panels are tight. I mean really right and don't fly open when you hold the figure with the panels facing downward. There really would be no way to open them without the notches. If you have a chance to play with the figure you'll appreciate the notches and they aren't really noticible in person as they are in photos.

But aren't yet on the opposite side of how they open? Can you explain how they function?

They have a rounded triangular shaped inner hinge that allows them to be pulled forward and opened outward. So it's not a simple hinge that swings open. They're on the opposite side so you can pull them outward and then swing them open. It's more authentic to how the panels looked when opened on the Artoo prop.

:duff That makes sense. I know the SS has its issues but the magnet/lightsaber system is a decent idea even though the doors weren't well executed in general.

They have a rounded triangular shaped inner hinge that allows them to be pulled forward and opened outward. So it's not a simple hinge that swings open. They're on the opposite side so you can pull them outward and then swing them open. It's more authentic to how the panels looked when opened on the Artoo prop.

More authentic to how the panels looked when opened... vs ...more authentic to how the panels looked in 99% of the film. Hmm...

Sounds like Tama should have contracted an R2D2 scholar in addition to their 3PO scholar.

Seeing how Tamashii added sounds to their R2, it's as if they were afraid of HT... in some photos it seems that they also smoothed the rivets details... I hope they stay true to their idea. Tama C3-PO has its pros and cons, but it is a unique piece on its own, and Tama R2 should also be that.

Maybe they were also afraid of offering a die cast dome, to begin with, and another 400.00 USD retail price...

For some maybe. I'm still waiting for a decent C-3p0. Between the giant pistons, the all thumbs and the husky TFA choices I haven't seen one I like enough yet.

In a few months when it's released it will be a non-issue in the same way the larger, yet functioning pistons on C-3PO are a non-issue.

I did immediately compare it to the pistons, which have never bothered me. The checklist of things I hope don't bother me with this figure is a bit longer than I'd like though :)

So, I have preordered this guy -again-.

At a good price! below the 290 EUR barrier shipped (still 200 and something :rotfl )

I hope they don't cancel this -again-

Let's see!!

Here's the comparison a lot of you have been asking for. More photos and an overview can be found at: https://bluefinbrands.com/sizing-tamashii-nations-12-inch-perfect-model-chogokin-r2-d2/

Chogokin-R2-D2-02.jpg

That's one sweet looking droid. Still leaning towards the HT TFA R2 for the cheaper price & weathering, but will get the Tama if it isn't as big (just have to weather it myself haha).

I wonder what the odds are of them releasing weathered versions of both in the future. It would be mighty tempting to get a second set to have one clean and one weathered, even if it was a stupid amount of money.

Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

D@mn you Bluefin for taking away weeks of anticipation, speculation and arguing from this thread!!!

I'm so upset!! These pictures are not only only clear, they were obviously taken by someone with a better camera than an iPhone 3. And in bright light no less!! JEEZ!!

And the kick in the teeth? They are ALL properly rotated!!! Arrrgghhh

This is how you treat the Freaks collector community?!? Really?

Now what are we going to do?

Thanks for the great comparisons, Rich!

Good news that it looks a touch taller and has a bit more girth. Still leaning toward HT due to the metal dome and nice weathering but it's certainly tempting to pair this up with my clean Tama 3PO.

Back