Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just got this 3PO, looks pretty awesome--real wires are a nice touch. Just reposting one of paramore's pics as I think they put me over the edge.
Have to say the weight is almost a bit off putting compared with the other figures. I'm half expecting it to smash through the detolf glass if it ever falls over. :lol Are there any common issues to watch out for, in terms of defects? Everything looks okay at a quick glance, but I got it for a good price so I was preparing for a box of rocks to arrive at my door.
Three of the pistons seem a loose, the other is tight. Don't think I need two 3PO's but have to say I'm still very interested in seeing the SS one in person. At least I'll be able to do a few comparison photos.

Careful when extending the arms, one of my piston rods pulls right out of the piston body when extended. On my figure at least, the ankles aren't especially strong so I don't feel comfortable leaving him standing without support.

Careful when extending the arms, one of my piston rods pulls right out of the piston body when extended. On my figure at least, the ankles aren't especially strong so I don't feel comfortable leaving him standing without support.

Thanks, I noticed one piston looking like it might come right out too--inner right arm. Plan to keep it on a stand. That's the other thing with the weight, seems to put a lot of pressure on those ankles.
I got IG-88 and this a few days apart and while that figure is pretty sweet, I'm not sure background characters do enough for me at this scale. Partly a space issue too since that figure is so tall he won't fit in the detolf with legs extended. I'm pretty certain I'll keep the IG-88 stand, but not so sure about the figure.
New additions this week (3PO and IG-88 bases for the stormtroopers)

Oh, something I mentioned to someone else... The neck is not supposed to be removed, so don't do it. It's quite clear AFTER you do it, as the ball on the peg under the neck is bigger than the socket it needs to go back into on the body. I don't think it's possible to put it back in without breaking part of the socket. Thankfully the socket still has enough grip to hold the neck/head even with the small piece that broke off on mine, but there's very little friction now so the head can be a bit floppy. Live and learn.

Eeesh, that stinks. Thanks for the tip. My girlfriend was checking him out and said, "look at the size of those feet." You know what that means. ;)
I noticed what looks like chipped paint on one of the pistons, but i can probably pretend it's just weathering. Left showing chipping, right looking normal.

Re: Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Hi mate where did you get those stands from that C3PO and R2 are standing on ?

Thanks, I noticed one piston looking like it might come right out too--inner right arm. Plan to keep it on a stand. That's the other thing with the weight, seems to put a lot of pressure on those ankles.
I got IG-88 and this a few days apart and while that figure is pretty sweet, I'm not sure background characters do enough for me at this scale. Partly a space issue too since that figure is so tall he won't fit in the detolf with legs extended. I'm pretty certain I'll keep the IG-88 stand, but not so sure about the figure.
New additions this week (3PO and IG-88 bases for the stormtroopers)

Hi mate , where did you get the sand coloured stands that C3PO & R2 are standing on buddy ?

Hi mate , where did you get the sand coloured stands that C3PO & R2 are standing on buddy ?
They look like Sideshow Tusken Raider stand covers. It's a sand coloured rubber disc that covers the circular base. It came with the Sideshow Tusken Raider figure.

They look like Sideshow Tusken Raider stand covers. It's a sand coloured rubber disc that covers the circular base. It came with the Sideshow Tusken Raider figure.

Exactly. One is from the Tusken Raider, and I picked up two others--one that came as the extra stand cover in the Sith Probe Droid expansion pack and another I bought loose that was originally from a GI Joe figure I believe.

Exactly. One is from the Tusken Raider, and I picked up two others--one that came as the extra stand cover in the Sith Probe Droid expansion pack and another I bought loose that was originally from a GI Joe figure I believe.

You can make stand covers with a disc of styrene (tap a few dozen divots with a screwdriver for texture) then paint with "stone effect" type paint in a sand color. It has little granules in it (or just mix in some sand.) I just bought a sample pot to make a few.

It looks indistinguishable from the SSC version.

Are defects common with this figure? I'm not a big 3po fan but I have decided I need him in my star wars collection and this is the version I want. Which basically leaves me 2 choices as far as I can tell. 1) Buy from amazon for about $350 and retain the option of easy return in case of defect. Or 2) Buy from a Japanese eBay seller for around $100 less and hope that the figure arrives in good shape.

The most common defect apart from breakage is probably spotting in the finish - on my figure and in some photos I've seen from others, this has been in the clear-coat finish applied to the figure, not the metal and not the plating. You may see some small discolored spots as well as bumps. The small bumps may come off or smooth out when rubber with a cloth - any discoloration is probably permanent. My figure's small imperfections are hardly worth an exchange, especially since I plan to weather him.

The most common defect apart from breakage is probably spotting in the finish - on my figure and in some photos I've seen from others, this has been in the clear-coat finish applied to the figure, not the metal and not the plating. You may see some small discolored spots as well as bumps. The small bumps may come off or smooth out when rubber with a cloth - any discoloration is probably permanent. My figure's small imperfections are hardly worth an exchange, especially since I plan to weather him.

Thanks for the info. I'll most likely try ebay and just hope for the best as there are no guarantees of one fig being better than the next. If something is literally broken I would most likely be able to get an eBay refund anyway, the process is just a huge pain in the ace. I'm not in a hurry though I'll keep watching amazon too, camel says its been around $280 which would suit me just fine.

Also I read back in this thread several pages and there was a pic or 2 of a perfect looking weathering job done by jamesthecat I believe. Edit: I looked back again its on page 582 and you have obviously already seen the pic.

Had that one for a while but just re-posed him the other day so it's all yours! :) He's got the other blaster holstered up too. Can never have too many.

Thank you :)

Yeah thats why I wanted to find someway to get the large blaster into the display, can never have enough guns! :)

Back