Tamashii Soul of Chogokin C-3PO & R2-D2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2¢: When and big IF Sideshow comes out with their own Threepio, there will assuredly be SOMETHING off with it. They may fix whatever people don't like about the Tamashii Threepio, but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be other problems and inaccuracies. It may be subtle and unnoticeable to most people out there, but it will definitely be a deal breaker to some..

Same could be said of any release. I guess in the end it all depends on what that particular Dealbreaker is.

SO what's all this about tamasi loosing its sideshow partnership?

Sideshow might surprise all of you... ;). Remember they already have the 1/4 PF R2. It is very well done... All they would have to do is shrink it and it would look amazing next to the Tamashii C3PO. Wouldn't surprise me one bit ;)

well everyone was worried about temashi's sample proto R2 he was small.

you know in some scenes R2 looks small and the close up scens is it possible lucas used several different size models. I know they hired a little person to be in the suit because he was 3 ft tall and small frame because he was at that time called a dwarf and could have more control of the heavy thing.

I still think the prob droid was to wager are impression on their work. and when they do a statue they almost always follow with a figure, with temashi leaving that doesn't leave them at square 1 that just means they have full run on merchandising more profits for them. Technically temashi has to change pkg and they loose value on their product for loosing sideshow as their ally on this project. Disney&Hasbro can go after temashi if the agreement was to carry sideshows name or their in breach of contract

Last edited:
Sideshow might surprise all of you... ;). Remember they already have the 1/4 PF R2. It is very well done... All they would have to do is shrink it and it would look amazing next to the Tamashii C3PO. Wouldn't surprise me one bit ;)

ShrinkMachineBox.jpg

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. That thing is GORGEOUS. What they did with those lights....astounding.

That whole story with SS's and TN's disagreement on the dome being the deal breaker sounds really odd. Unless there's more to the story that would offer some type of rationale, I just can't see that. Why would TN be so bent on making it inaccurate that they'd walk away from the deal when SS wanted to go in the obviously right direction.

I was going to ask the same question, but f **k cryptic posts.

What I do know is that from a SS source... Is that a lot of the R&D for the PF R2(sculpt/lighting) wasn't just for the PF. Nothing specific but the person seemed pretty confident about 1/6. No timeframe at all... But some research progress has been made. And if it turns out it will be a really cool figure. All the PF is, is basically a 1/4 scale posable figure anyway. Hope it encourages some, nothing concrete but the same guy knew about the HT Luke before it was announced a few years back so... We will see. R2 is the only character confirmed for Episode VII so far too. :)

Yeah, inquiring minds want to know because SS did a kick *** Grievous PF like4-5 years ago, maybe more, vowed to never do him in 1/6th and it's taken this long to get the PO for the 1/6th. Same can be said of the Biker Scout and Speederbike, which actually was stated to be "in development" in 1/6th but the PO for that puppy is.... well.... there ain't one :dunno:
Just saying, one scale doesn't preclude the other in some cases.

Last edited:
What I do know is that from a SS source... Is that a lot of the R&D for the PF R2(sculpt/lighting) wasn't just for the PF. Nothing specific but the person seemed pretty confident about 1/6. No timeframe at all... But some research progress has been made. And if it turns out it will be a really cool figure. All the PF is, is basically a 1/4 scale posable figure anyway. Hope it encourages some, nothing concrete but the same guy knew about the HT Luke before it was announced a few years back so... We will see. R2 is the only character confirmed for Episode VII so far too. :)

Thanks for the info - it's still clutching at straws given Sideshow's past comments on R2, as well as their famously protracted release schedule with some figures... but I'll clutch at it :lol

I'll believe SSC Droids when I see them. Either way it won't matter because once you have a Tamashii Threepio nothing will beat it.

Maybe they'll do them, they've had since 2006 or whenever they did Jedi Luke to make them but still nothing.....yawn.

Last edited:
I'll believe SSC Droids when I see them. Either way it won't matter because once you have a Tamashii Threepio nothing will beat it.

Maybe they'll do them, they've had since 2006 or whenever they did Jedi Luke to make them but still nothing.....yawn.

Double yawn. I've said it before ( and I'll say it again). These are a massive cash cow. We all know people will buy these in variants and multiples if done well. There is a load of potential here. Pt r2 ot r2 r4p17 r5s r4s r6s etc.

Jeez one or two a year forever!!!

And relax.

That whole story with SS's and TN's disagreement on the dome being the deal breaker sounds really odd. Unless there's more to the story that would offer some type of rationale, I just can't see that. Why would TN be so bent on making it inaccurate that they'd walk away from the deal when SS wanted to go in the obviously right direction.

I'm 99.9% positive the shiny dome would have been remedied by the time R2 made it to production. Tamashii's Threepio proto also had an odd, dull, almost silver finish and they fixed that.

The inaccuracy of the R2 prototype was not the source of the Tamashii/Sideshow split. Tamashii simply wants to release R2 on their own and not through a partnership with Sideshow. They want to maximize their profits by cutting out the middle man (Sideshow) and securing a deal directly with Hasbro or LFL or Disney or whatever. I asked a Tamashii rep at the NYCC this year what the hold up was with R2 and that's what he told me.

I think that part about disagreeing on the dome was a joke actually.

Considering how good the C-3PO is and the thought process behind the size of it and everything else, I think it's safe to assume that if there ever is a Tamashii R2 it would be the correct size and looking pretty good.

They actually matched the size to the other Star Wars figures, something it's painfully obvious that the other companies making this stuff hasn't thought of yet.

Last edited:
They want to maximize their profits by cutting out the middle man (Sideshow) and securing a deal directly with Hasbro or LFL or Disney or whatever.

I see the chances of that at slim to none. Slim in just bypassing Sideshow. None in bypassing Hasbro.

I did get a response awhile back that R2 will be made but not really soon. but hopefully soon. very vague but I guess the temachi incident may have left them burned. I doubt that temachi will get it on their own since sideshow has a relationship with hasbro.

So they just burned themselves if they thought they don't need sideshow. unless they want to pay out the end for a star character.

maybe the medicom r2 needs to be retired before sideshow can release their version. kind of like two things can't occupy the same place at the same time.

If r2 pf could just be a stepping stone to a figure. so I'm just going to keep my fingers crossed. I'm sure Hasbro will give them the go ahead for a 1/6th soon

as for C3PO the temashi was cast metal and medicom was plastic and a different scale so i guess in this instance that wouldnt be same thing same place.

Back