Superman Graphic Novel Recommendations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewGoblin23

Super Freak
Reaction score
I saw Superman Returns on FX again and I really want to start reading some stories with Superman in them. I tried searching for some stuff to read and I wasn't really sure which book to buy.

Is there a Superman equivalant to Batman's "The Dark Knight Returns" or "Year One"? What I mean by that is are there any books with Superman that are must haves for a comic book reader? Any help is appreciated :)

Kingdom Come. It's more like a Justice League comic but a definite for any Superman fan. Also check out the The Death of Superman, World Without Superman and The Return of Superman.

Superman: Birthright is a really nice, modern interpretation of his origin story.

For Tomorrow is great if you like Jim Lee's art, and kind of depicts a harder, somewhat vulnerable Supes.

And Kingdom Come and Death and Return of are great. Make sure you get the omnibus of Death and Return of Superman to get everything in one nice neat package.

The Man of Steel--the collection of John Byrne's Superman "re-boot" mini-series. I love 80s John Byrne, and enjoyed his take on Superman.

Also, Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?"--short but very sweet.

Though not really focused on Superman at all "Superboy's Legion" by Mark Farmer and Alan Davis was also quite fun.

Superman Batman Vol 1 Public Enemies Great Story that brings and end to Lex Luthor as President and a set up for Vol 2.
Superman Batman Vol 2 Supergirl Though various Supergirl's have existed since Crisis on Infitie Earths this features the return of the one true Supergirl Superman's Cousin Kara Zor El.

The following are from the pretty recent Geoff Johns run on Action Comics Last Son is co written by Rochard Donner. It changes the whole status Quo of Superman as we have known it for so long. As well as just being some of the best written Superman stuff in a couple of years.

Superman Last Son
Superman Braniac
Superman New Krypton Vol 1
Superman New Krypton Vol 2(out in September)

Last edited:
"A Superman for All Seasons" is my favorite. Written by Geof Loeb with art by Tim Sale. This very much is the definitive story of the making of the man, not unlike the "Bativerses" year one stories, but tailored to a kinder, gentler uprearing and a very different and oddly considering he's an alien, a more grounded and human hero.
The recomendation of "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" along with "Superman" Red Son" are very good. But those are "Elseworlds" stories so they may not be what your looking for if your searching for continuity canon.
You might also want to check out "Trinity" to get the DCU's current take on all of the big three. I like Matt Wagner alot and this is pretty good.
And don't forget James Robinson, Jeff Rucka, and some of the other topflight talent working on the "New Krypton" stories in "Action" and the other Superman family books. It's the best Superman stuff in a long while in my opinion. Make sure you give it a try.

All Star Superman Volume 1 & 2. Really really good. I love the story and artwork.
Also as others have already stated:
Superman/Batman Vol 1 & 2
Superman for All Seasons
Those are also really good reads.

Also just as a tip buy.com and amazon.com are good places to buy graphic novels. Both offer free shipping on orders over $25 on most books. I buy from buy.com all the time and even with free shipping the books are here in a week or under. Most of there books are 30-40% off retail.

ok lol.... i've read just about everything!

one of my top fav's is All star superman Vol. 1:

If you like the entire death and return story which is awesome read this:

I really enjoyed this one too:

the list goes on and on! lol

Superman for tomorrow is great too:

Superman/Batman Public Enemies is one I don't think I've seen that one listed so far. While a team-up rather than just a Superman TPB it's got Loeb writing it and it's really pretty good.

Alan Moore wrote a one-shot in the 70s or 80s called "For the Man Who Has Everything", it's been featured in a couple different TPBs. Seems like they made a Justice League Unlimited episode based on it too. Anyway, it's a really good one.

Kingdom Come is another must read, saw that listed, as well as Red Son and of course Death of. I've heard good things about All-Star Superman too, but I've personaly never read it.

I't reiterate the Byrne reboot collections.
Man for all Seasons - Loeb/Sale.
Kingdom Come.
Death and Rebirth of Superman

Funny how there aren't really any definitive "Best" of Superman like there is for Batman. I guess the avant garde artists are more drawn to the dark.

Superman for All Seasons gets my vote. When that kid asked him about his costume, I got a little misty eyed, I must admit.

Red son is great. the death of, funeral for a friend, and reign of superman anthologies are definitely worth a read

our Worlds At war is a fun read as well.

A good, oddball series, but entertaining none the less are the superman Vs. Aliens books.

Back