Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

I concur with the others.
If the original was not like that, of primitive manufacture, old and deformed by use and age, then yours is going to look more fitting than the original.
m.

Half of the Rancor pit grating is cut out. Took 2 days, and it's all done by hand -- looks sloppy, but that's as good as it's going to get. Hopefully once it's painted up, it won't be as noticeable. It's propped under the "floor" at the moment to hold it in place, so it looks a little uneven, as well.

View attachment 455120

No probs. I love seeing the creativity and skill on display in these forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I concur with the others.
If the original was not like that, of primitive manufacture, old and deformed by use and age, then yours is going to look more fitting than the original.
m.

Thanks guys, I appreciate that.

Now i'm kind of glad it looks rough. Whew... maybe it was a happy accident. :wink1:

Finished up the overhead "lights" (the shell anyway) over the band area -- still have to wire up the lights. And I've been working on the left and right outer walls of the diorama. The one to the right of the Jabba throne (our right, his left) is going to be black -- as it's not meant to represent anything. The hole near the outer top is for a light to shine down (and hopefully cast a semblance of a shadow to imply the upper part of the stairs that gain entry into the throne room. If it doesn't work out the way I want, I'll probably just fill that hole in and call it good. Some of you may have been wondering what I meant by "cut-out" removable panels, and here is the the first one complete. It's behind the interior wall so it doesn't have to be anything fancy; I'm using latch hook hasps (like the ones you'd see on a jewelry box) to hold the piece in place. I can remove it so I can get to the wiring of the light (which will be behind that screen/crevice) easily, without having to try to take the diorama apart from the front.

IMG_7830.jpg

IMG_7832.jpg

IMG_7825 copy.jpg

IMG_7826.jpg

IMG_7827.jpg

IMG_7828.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg

The outer diorama wall (behind the Han/Carbonite display) is nearly complete -- just finished up cutting out the crevices on the wall and the hole mount for the TaunTaun head -- still need to glue down brackets to keep it flat and for structural support.

The basic construction for the Han display wall is finished. This wall will get the texture treatment, and the "crevices" will have the texture and gel film added for lights behind them, and the ceiling above Han will have the grating and lights, as well.

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7836.jpg

IMG_7837.jpg

Finished cutting out the indent for the trap door, the texture on the Carbonite wall, and put in the keys to "lock" the outer walls into place. Each side wall has one of the these key/blocks at the corner to keep it in place. Some of the interior pieces (mainly the narrower arches) will get this same kind of treatment. The ceiling will have the same system to keep the top part of the walls locked in. It's a simple, yet effective. Nothing is going to be screwed down or attached any other way -- so everything can be easily taken apart in the event it has to be moved.

I've started assembling the entire back wall, but nothing to show on that yet. Just cut out planks and gluing things together (pretty boring stuff -- but time consuming).

IMG_7838.jpg

IMG_7840.jpg

IMG_7841.jpg

By the way, does anyone know if someone (anyone) on Shapeways (or other) has made any of the tables and knick-knacks in 1/6th scale for the surrounding throne room areas? Searching Shapeways is a pain in the butt -- their search function is completely useless -- and paging through thousands of items is a bit of a nuisance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carbonite Room 01 copy.jpg

Throne Arch 06 copy.jpg

Carbonite Room 01 copy 2.jpg

Nice progress Stryker!

As far as a source for the tables and such, I know of none... but if you find any, please let me know too!

I assumed I would just need to make my own.

Nice progress Stryker!

As far as a source for the tables and such, I know of none... but if you find any, please let me know too!

I assumed I would just need to make my own.

Thanks, and yeah, I was thinking I’d have to make them, as well, but with all the stuff out there on Shapeways — you’d think someone would have tackled it. I’ll keep my eyes peeled, of course.

Quick update -- been working on the back of the diorama, and it's taking a lot longer than expected to do the largest chunk -- which had structural issues, and fell apart on me after gluing. I think I have that figured out now, but I'm still waiting on all the glued components to dry before I fit it in place and take photos. It won't be completely finished, but at least I'll be able to give everyone an idea of my intent.

Well, after about a week of effort, and error, I finally finished 2/3 of the back wall of the dio. It was a bit of a nightmare, as structurally it wasn't very sound, and it actually fell apart on me at one point -- and I had to start over. I tried to keep it thin, but added structural supports to the back of it to keep it more stable. Luckily, my second attempt worked out.

The back wall from the front, it goes all the way behind the band area at this point.

IMG_7854 copy.jpg

And this is how the back looks -- kind of ugly, but, as I said, it works. And the largest portion of it is completely removable for easy access.

IMG_7857 copy.jpg

IMG_7858 copy.jpg

And the only thing holding this entire section in place is pegs like on the outer wall and this simple little wood lever.

IMG_7855.jpg

IMG_7856.jpg

Dude this looks so awesome! You're killing it in the engineering of this piece. I can't wait to see more!

Dude this looks so awesome! You're killing it in the engineering of this piece. I can't wait to see more!

Thank you, good sir. I’ve been watching a ton of YouTube videos for tips and tricks, mostly on just building cabinets and what-not, and it’s helped immensely; and some things I’ve done was just stumbling along and blind luck.

Thank you, good sir. I’ve been watching a ton of YouTube videos for tips and tricks, mostly on just building cabinets and what-not, and it’s helped immensely; and some things I’ve done was just stumbling along and blind luck.

Haha it is funny how random everyday craft things can translate pretty well into the hobby. When I was making my Pote Snitkin I looked up leather work to make leather boots for him, among other things haha. I do like the creativity aspect of having to source info from different materials to produce a custom item.

Haha it is funny how random everyday craft things can translate pretty well into the hobby. When I was making my Pote Snitkin I looked up leather work to make leather boots for him, among other things haha. I do like the creativity aspect of having to source info from different materials to produce a custom item.

Totally agree. I started researching how to make the frame for the glass front for the cabinet to surround this dio, and came across a guy making picture frames. Like me, he doesn’t have clamps long enough to do super long pieces, so instead all he used was wood glue (of course), and then plain old masking tape to hold the pieces together while they dried! I couldn’t believe it, until I tried it on that back wall — and it worked! Talk about a cheap alternative to forking over hundreds of dollars on large clamps. I just lay heavy objects down on top of everything to keep it flat and for extra bracing to keep them together — in addition to the tape. You got to love YouTube.

Been working on the ceiling. It's a large, two-part piece, held together using those same jewelry box clasps, but also pegs on the four outside corners. It's still a WIP, of course, and I still need to work out the shape and size of the holes for the overhead lights, but this gives you an idea of what I'm doing. The piece in the middle holding up the ceiling won't be there when the piece is finished -- I'm going to attach a small bracket to the front of the display case at that same spot that won't be seen.

IMG_7873 copy.jpg

IMG_7875.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

Great pics!! Thanks for the update! And I’m glad you can find a cheap alternative and still have awesome results!

Back