Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (Cabinet build in progress))

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stryker2011's: JABBA THRONE ROOM CUSTOM DIORAMA (WIP)

Started adding the "sand" to the floor -- it's actually sanded grout. I masked off all the areas where I don't need the sand to go -- it only needs to cover the areas that might be visible around the set pieces. I added "track" marks by drawing glue lines -- hope it works out. I tried using a spray bottle after mixing a 50/50 ratio of water to glue -- but either I have a crappy spray bottle, or it's still too thick, as I couldn't get anything to come out -- so I had to paint the glue on the surface of the contact paper. Now I need to figure out a different technique to get the surface glue to stay on. Any ideas?

IMG_7977.jpg

IMG_7978.jpg

IMG_7979.jpg

Wow, what the heck did I stumble into here?:horror Amazing work, Stryker.:clap

I really need to dig back over this thread, because about 50% of what you've done here I am planning to do with my Jabba. It's a tricky balance as my cabinet isn't big enough to do things in proper 1/6 scale, so I have to fudge a few things. I also want it to be a bit "museum like" (ie not a full/continuous recreation of the movie set) with some areas of cabinet wall left exposed, as if parts of the movie set were taken to a museum to be shown alongside the costumes.

I love the stencil effect on the big arch. Very cool.

Wow, what the heck did I stumble into here?:horror Amazing work, Stryker.:clap

I really need to dig back over this thread, because about 50% of what you've done here I am planning to do with my Jabba. It's a tricky balance as my cabinet isn't big enough to do things in proper 1/6 scale, so I have to fudge a few things. I also want it to be a bit "museum like" (ie not a full/continuous recreation of the movie set) with some areas of cabinet wall left exposed, as if parts of the movie set were taken to a museum to be shown alongside the costumes.

I love the stencil effect on the big arch. Very cool.

Thanks, TaliBane. I hope there’s things you can find useful in here. It’s been a learning experience for me, as well. Trial and error is an understatement. But it’s been a fun, and sometimes frustrating, journey so far. The idea of doing just pieces is probably something I should have done, and I could have avoided some unforeseen expenses, but I’m this far along so too late to turn back now.

I pulled off the masking tape and masking from the "sand" floor panels. It turned out pretty good, I think. There's a couple spots where the underlying contact paper is starting to come through, but I'll just hit those spots up with a dab of paint, I think. (My apologies for my shadow being in the way a bit).

IMG_7980.jpg

IMG_7981.jpg

I started putting everything back together -- but there's a few more crevice screens and lights I want to get hooked up before I show anything else.

Nice job on the floor. Texture’s looking spot on.

Thanks. I was a little concerned I was going to get the sanded grout to stick, but an extra spray of water/glue over the top really did the trick.

I have all but one light running at the moment, and of course, the back BBQ pit area isn't present yet (but that entire image will be back lit -- how intense those lights are will determine how it affects everything else). I had to order another power supply to be able to light one of the overhead lights above the band, but this gives some idea of what I was going for.

IMG_7982.jpg

IMG_7983 copy.jpg

IMG_7984.jpg

Much appreciated, Asta.

You really get a sense of scale with Jabba in place. It's huge!

A quick glance at the last photos and you'd assume this was for the 3 3/4" figures. I don't think I've ever seen another 1/6 scale palace this expansive or detailed.

I’m running out of compliments for this project, dammit! It’s delicious[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm running out of complimentary words to use myself. :lol:rotfl:lol

Brilliant stuff here. Bravo dude. :clap :clap

Well, I’m running out of ways to say Thank You.

So... Thanks everyone for all the encouragement, advice, and compliments. Greatly appreciated.

Back