Stealth Iron Man repainting value

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your opinion on SIM repaints?

• Total voters

ChrisCJ99

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
So I've been shopping around for a SS Iron Man comiquette. The red/gold version seems to me selling for a LOT, and is a lot more than what I want to spend. So I've been eye balling the SIM. There seems to be a TON of these on sale right now. And many of these seem to be repainted.

My question is, does repainting a SIM increase the value significantly? I'm mainly wanting a chrome SIM, but I'm not too certain as to what peoples opinions are on this. What do you guys think?

It would have to be a GOOD paint job, and that may be hard to tell from buying from someone anonymous off Ebay.

So I've been shopping around for a SS Iron Man comiquette. The red/gold version seems to me selling for a LOT, and is a lot more than what I want to spend. So I've been eye balling the SIM. There seems to be a TON of these on sale right now. And many of these seem to be repainted.

My question is, does repainting a SIM increase the value significantly? I'm mainly wanting a chrome SIM, but I'm not too certain as to what peoples opinions are on this. What do you guys think?

Well IMO I think that the Red & Gold is more visually appealling than the Stealth. The light-up feature was not included with the orignal Red & Gold and frankly that's what everyone wanted. Sideshow made two Red & Gold pieces that lite up where one went to Robert Downey Jr. and the other was sold for auction for about $18,000. When the Stealth came out with light up features, people started painting this this left and right and some has tried all types of colors. Even though this is not the original Red & Gold a well painted Stealth will still sell for a high amount.

I understand there's a lot of respect for the custom artists, and, with justification!
But, as far as I'm concerned, every alteration on any collectible is decrease of value. Time teaches this. Items left in their original state (as originally bought) are generally more sought after, and prize stable than customized items. There are exceptions, but in the end, it's up to yourself, what you like, and how much it's worth to you. I'm more of a purist, and like everything untouched, complete with box.

I'd never buy a customized SIM, although I've seen a few very very nice ones. Some look even better than the original, colour wise, but then the paint scheme is off, making it a plain item in the end.

Hmmm, I wonder if an original SIM will be worth more in the future because of all these repaints watering down the numbers....

Hmmm, I wonder if an original SIM will be worth more in the future because of all these repaints watering down the numbers....
Yes, good that you bring this up. I wanted to say the same but it slipped my mind. The more SIMs get customized - it seams to be pretty popular for some reason - the less originals will remain. In the case of the SIM, this will make a difference, among serious collectors anyway. Some might make a difference between a mint first wave SIM, and a mint second wave SIM I think!

I wonder if there are recast of the IM EX as recast needs to be factored in too as it has implications on the value & qty.

I agree with Alice...any alteration to the original piece in my mind would signal a decrease in value long-term.

I've wondered myself with all of the custom paint jobs being done on the SIM's that they may in fact get more rare and more valuable as time goes on. Of course, there will be a bunch of pissed off people if SS ever decides to do a red/gold light up version and everyone painted over their SIM. :)

Overated statue IMO...BOTH RED/GOLD ANS STEALTH.

I agree it's over rated as well. BUT it's all we have of iron man so I had to have one. If it were up to me, i'd prefer a different sculpt and pose.

I agree with Alice...any alteration to the original piece in my mind would signal a decrease in value long-term.

I've wondered myself with all of the custom paint jobs being done on the SIM's that they may in fact get more rare and more valuable as time goes on. Of course, there will be a bunch of pissed off people if SS ever decides to do a red/gold light up version and everyone painted over their SIM. :)

:lol Yeah, that would suck for ALL those people that paid WAY TOO much for a painted SIM in red/gold then SS came out with one....

But I also believe that altering an original piece would devalue it to TRUE collectors, but it may appeal to other collectors.... So it's just a matter of personal opinion... Maybe 40 years down the road the ORIGINAL and non-customized version will be worth more, but the repainted version may be more valuable to the "instant gratification" types.... Such as myself :eek:

I agree it's over rated as well. BUT it's all we have of iron man so I had to have one. If it were up to me, i'd prefer a different sculpt and pose.

That's true. And I've been hearing talk that SS is bound to make another Iron Man piece.... I'd be really curious as to what they'll make next... All I know is that I'm gonna be waiting by my phone for it!!!!

Any suggestions what you guys would like to see for the next armor and pose?? :naughty

That's true. And I've been hearing talk that SS is bound to make another Iron Man piece.... I'd be really curious as to what they'll make next... All I know is that I'm gonna be waiting by my phone for it!!!!

Any suggestions what you guys would like to see for the next armor and pose?? :naughty

I'd like to see an "Iron Man vs ??????" Diorama

well for me, i wouldn't pay much for a repainted one in a color that we've not seen in the comics. like gunmetal or flat black. wouldn't want those. wouldn't even pay much for red/gold unless they'd succeeded in changing the lights to yellow or at least orange. i've only seen 1 like that and IIRC the artist had to recast the light lenses. now one like that i'd pay for!

How can you say its overated? theres nothing out there that looks better. the ARTFX looks promising. But right now there inst awhole lot of options in this scale. Sideshow has the best iron man out to date. Have you guys seen Bowens?! or Hard hero!? thats the competition right now.

How can you say its overated? theres nothing out there that looks better. the ARTFX looks promising. But right now there inst awhole lot of options in this scale. Sideshow has the best iron man out to date. Have you guys seen Bowens?! or Hard hero!? thats the competition right now.

I can say it's over rated because that's my opinion. The pose looks goofy and could have been done better. it's not about the competition, we are talking about Sideshow's.

Back