Statue of ROBOCOP to be made for Detroit!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Read that in the paper today - I say they should do it - archaeologists of the distant future will argue about whether or not Robocop was actually real, it'll be cool.

if i was the mayor of Detroit, and i saw Robocop, i could understand not wanting a statue of him there. that movie was pretty blatant sattire of Detroit culture and American manufacturing/corporatism in general. it would be like building a statue of V in front of the Old Bailey in London.

As usual sci-fi getting the shaft. Damned academy.....wait...

The point was made though. For a city famous because of it's continual contribution to the automobile industry, RoboCop doesn't make much sense. And to some extent, as awesome as it would be, he's right.

This is old news and has already been turned down. :lol

Ahem! Taken from AICN

it seems some anonymous donor plunked down $25,000.00 and now... DETROIT is going to get its ROBOCOP statue! This, frankly, rules!

I'll keep you folks informed as to the progress of the ROBOCOP statue - and once it is erected, we'll get photos and let you know exactly how to visit it - and suggest themed notions as to how to act in its awe-inspiring presence. Alex Murphy might have lost his family, but his spirit to serve and protect, to uphold the law... it will be eternal. He may be a fictional hero, but like so many fictional heroes - that does not diminish his ability to inspire and capture imaginations.

Ahem! Taken from AICN

Ahem, Mayor said no:

No Go, Robo

by Perry Michael Simon on February 9, 2011

The Facebook campaign didn’t work. The tweeting failed. It isn’t going to happen.

There will not be a RoboCop statue in Detroit. Not, at least, if Mayor Dave Bing is making the call.

Bing — yes, the Detroit Pistons legend — tweeted, “There are not any plans to erect a statue of RoboCop. Thank you for your suggestion.” So that’s that. And the fact that the movie isn’t flattering to Detroit probably didn’t help, either.

On the other hand, I’ve seen tourists flocking to, and posing for pictures with, the Mary Tyler Moore/Mary Richards beret-tossing statue in downtown Minneapolis every time I’ve been there. People seem attached to the Rocky statue in Philadelphia, even though I was against it when they first tried to plant it on the Art Museum steps (it ended up next to the Spectrum, and now near the Art Museum on Benjamin Franklin Parkway). Those things connect with people as much, or more, than statues of real people.

So what does Detroit have to lose? Why not a RoboCop statue, if they can get someone to pay for it? Hell, why not one of RoboCop, one of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, an Axel Foley statue, maybe one of Eminem in an emotional scene from 8 Mile… it may be schlock, but it’d be the People’s Schlock. And everyone visiting Detroit would want a picture with them. When your city needs a boost, you gotta think creatively.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Ahem, Mayor said no:

Ahhh but if it's on private property ... doesn't matter what the Mayor says.

Check out the question about where it would be placed.
https://io9.com/#!5766421/first-look-at-detroits-new-robocop-statue

Where could the statue be placed? Is the city of Detroit backing the RoboCop Statue?

There's a whole approval process that the city goes through when accepting any charitable donation; this isn't any different, despite the popular support. We've made the appropriate steps in getting that process moving along, but we have several potential privately-funded locations on the table as well, not the least of which is across from the Michigan Central Station at Imagination Station. So, regardless of what happens with any of this, the statue is coming, and it will have a place to stand.
I also love that Omni Consumer Products is helping funding this.

Here's a link to the folks trying to make this happen.
https://detroitneedsrobocop.com/

Last edited:
So what does Detroit have to lose? Why not a RoboCop statue, if they can get someone to pay for it? Hell, why not one of RoboCop, one of Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino, an Axel Foley statue, maybe one of Eminem in an emotional scene from 8 Mile.......

Don't forget Action Jackson.

Presenting Detroit's Robocop Statue | Badass Digest

Why A Robocop Statue Is Good For Detroit | Badass Digest
And here is a nice write-up from 2011 on why Detroit should accept the Robocop statue.

Model of the Robocop statue which will be cast in bronze.

robocop_statue.jpg

I found this on badass what the hell? lol

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOoSe2K5DU&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Back