State of the Star Wars Sideshow backlash?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This year it's been Bib Fortuna(minor character), Plo Koon(minor character), 3 Endor Troopers(minor/nonexistant characters), Asaaj Ventress(not in any of the actual movies), Yavin Luke(redo), Leia as Boushh, and some very non-essential accessory sets. The only two figures(IIRC) that are left this year are Ben Kenobi from ep 4 and Leia from ep 4, both essential versions but both characters we've seen before. 5 of 8 of the characters made so far this year didn't even have any dialogue. It's nice to get the marginal characters too but not all year long.

I have to agree..... its been kind of lame for the 30th Anniversary year. I hope next year is better.

I have every single SSC SW release so far (and the rest on pre-order). I've got multiples of Both Lukes and Anakins.

This is, for me, the best SW line ever. I love them. To be honest the 'minor' characters such as Kit & Plo are probably in my top flight of the figures.

I will agree that this year hasn't had as much of a 'wow' factor of Jabba for a lot of people but we've seen Ben, Bespin luke (my most wanted figure), The Sidious 2-pack, Cinnamon Bun Leia & the amazing Dejarik table so that's still pretty strong if you ask me.

This is a flagship line both for Lucasfilm and SSC. We'll continue to see a nice mix of OT & PT (Agen Kolar please...) and some characters that we haven't seen before.

I'm cool with the fact that we ain't getting a Chewie or a Vader anytime soon and can't wait to see what they've got lined up for 2008.

I'm not kissing anyone's booty. I genuinely think that these figures are the shizznat.

When's the next pre-order?

cough 'Taun we' cough

I think most of us agree that the figures are great. The actual character of Kit Fisto (at least in the movies) is so minor as to be forgettable, but the toy is fantastic. I love the head and his tentacles (makes me really want to see what Sideshow could do with Ka D'argo from Farscape.)

But the question I'm trying to get at is, given all of the Star Wars collectors out there (many of whom, let's be frank, spend a LOT of money on crap just because it's Star Wars), the quality of these figures, and the comparatively small production runs that SS does, why aren't these things a lot harder to get?

I think we've touched on some of the reasons. A lot of collectors seem mostly focused on Hasbro and don't really know what Sideshow is doing. And I know that I personally had absolutely no interest in 1/6th scale figures before I saw Sideshow's figures. I had seen Habro's versions and thought they looked laughable (although I now know that are a few that aren't too bad). So maybe there are other people like me, who don't even consider collecting 12" figures.

And maybe it's something to do with the cost and not being able to just pick them up in a mainstream store. $50-$60 does seem like a lot until you actually get ahold of these and see the quality, and it seems like going to brick-and-mortar toy stores to search for figures is half the fun for a lot of people. Any other ideas?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

And your usually one of the first people to name call or use a better than you attitude. :rollseyes:

The same can be said about Medicom too Nash. I mean you've seen a few people say they arent happy with Boba. Yet, a couple of your buddies here have railed on folks including Mr. Crawford for not being 110% behind it. Those people are getting said they don't like Medicom or some a little harsher than that. It doesn't mean those folks don't lik Medicom just that they aren't totally happy with Fett.

I collect Medicom's SW stuff but I know damn good and well I wouldn't be welcomed over at MW. Even if I never left the SS section because I've seen what you guys have said about me and how the fact I like SS the best is taken. All this despite the fact I like and collect Medicom so yes you and the other MW folks collect SS but I think most of you are here to just be dicks basically. All over toys.

Are they the bestest bodies around. No probably not but I don't think they're crap either. Them working with Hot Toys is what any company trying to be the best would do use everything to your advantage. Get better even if you think you're doing ok.

Well, its ok for you and others who are supposedly "honest" about the faults with SS can trash the "crappy" bodies which is more "opinion" than anything. Yet, people can't talk about the scale of the Medicom figures and that they don't like it? The scale thing is "FACT" nash. It doesn't bother me on bit I like Medicom's stuff so I blow off the scale and price issue for the most part.

The same can be said towards MW or any Medicom product maybe you and the rest of the MW folks should buy into the stuff your selling.

Josh, sideshow doesnt love you, they love p1tu.

I think what everybody needs to realize is that in fact, Nash and Josh and everybody else suck. Except for me. Only my awesomeness could allow me to make such an astute observation. You're welcome.

i will be awesome as you....one day...

ah, one day indeed...

Not something I would readily admit to on a message board, but I am not a hater. There is a place for the two of you in the world. :inlove

;)

...When's the next pre-order? cough 'Taun we' cough

While most folks are worrying over when Vader, Chewie or some armored character should be on the way, I would really like to see an off-beat, odd-shaped character announced...Taun We would be really cool and make a really striking figure!

I don't think that this has been the year we were expecting. Coming into the 30th anniversary, who would've thought that the best SS 1/6th release would've been an EU Character.

Other than Boushh, I've skipped all the recent Jabba's palace releases, but it's hard to deny both the quality of those releases and the affection many fans have for those scenes.

Hopefully, Leia and Ben will please fans, like myself, who were expecting much more of an episode 4 focus to the year.

Also, not to beat a dead horse, but an announcement of some movement on armored figures would go a long way to mollify any fans who are becoming displeased with SS.

I'll agree that to a wide range of collectors, what has actually shipped this year has not been the type of products to be expected for celebration of the 30th Anniversary, but the quality of things previewed this year has been phenominal.

ANH Leia, other than the posed eyes which I think were changed for SDCC, looks great, Old Ben is amazing, Bespin Luke looks great, the Sidious/Palpatine pack looks specatacular.

I'm sure many are tired of the Jabba Palace setup, but from SSC's standpoint, Jabba was a big deal to them, and done with the intent to be a centerpiece of people's collection and I'm sure adding to that is a goal, which I and others do enjoy.

The impression that I get around here is that there are 2 types of collectors of this line. One type wants 1 definitive represenation of core characters, no repeats, and only wants to see second tear character like Kit and Plo done well after the Vaders and Stormtroopers and Landos have been done. The other type is eager for more core characters, but enjoying every release SSC puts out in the mean time.

While SSC is a company out to make a profit, they're also fanboys like us and collectors themselves, so I think we're bound to see the obscure and bizarre intermixed with the important and prominent throughout the line's lifetime. This will alienate the core desiring collectors, but I'm sure there are many like me who are just happy to finally have nice figures in this scale after years of so-so Hasbro 12 inchers and will enjoy whatever SSC offers.

Exactly. and in the meantime, i'll keep making my custom figures of the characters that i don't think SSc will ever make to keep me busy :) i just hope we finaly get a vader before too much longer. Vader, and stormtroopers, and Yoda, and some clones and some........

In other words, PLEASE RELEASE MORE! :rock

The impression that I get around here is that there are 2 types of collectors of this line. One type wants 1 definitive representation of core characters, no repeats, and only wants to see second tear character like Kit and Plo done well after the Vaders and Stormtroopers and Landos have been done. The other type is eager for more core characters, but enjoying every release SSC puts out in the mean time.

I would say I'm the latter. I enjoy everything as it comes and we don't have to have all the biggies to start. I just don't get why you'd want them all to start anyways. That doesn't leave a lot of major players as the line goes on. Keep the mix and this line can live 4 a very long time.

I would say I'm the latter. I enjoy everything as it comes and we don't have to have all the biggies to start. I just don't get why you'd want them all to start anyways. That doesn't leave a lot of major players as the line goes on. Keep the mix and this line can live 4 a very long time.

Well, I'm sure the reason people want the biggies out first is because that's all they want and the really do want it but don't have the patience to sit through Plo Koon's and chess tables to get there. I'm sure it also comes into play that SSC has a history of deceased lines, and while Star Wars is a huge cash cow for almost any licensee, there are instances where LFL can push license holders to drop the lines, like MR, so I'm sure some, and myself included, are concerned about what will and won't be made before this line comes to an end, which is why I really treasure when beloved pieces like Old Ben and Darth Sidious are made because they're high on my list of pieces I want made in Sideshow's style and it would be somewhat saddening if they never got the SSC treatment.

Well, I'm sure the reason people want the biggies out first is because that's all they want and the really do want it but don't have the patience to sit through Plo Koon's and chess tables to get there. I'm sure it also comes into play that SSC has a history of deceased lines, and while Star Wars is a huge cash cow for almost any licensee, there are instances where LFL can push license holders to drop the lines, like MR, so I'm sure some, and myself included, are concerned about what will and won't be made before this line comes to an end, which is why I really treasure when beloved pieces like Old Ben and Darth Sidious are made because they're high on my list of pieces I want made in Sideshow's style and it would be somewhat saddening if they never got the SSC treatment.

That's understandable but I don't see what happened with MR happening to SS. MR kind of screwed themselves something I don't see SS doing.

Without knowing the full facts of the MR deal, we can't say who is to blame in the matter, probably both sides, but different things that have come out of Sideshow employees and sculptors has shown that LFL is a hands on company with license holders and that creates the potential for a situation that could push SSC to lose interest in keeping the Star Wars franchise, it could happen, things change, the current LFL staff may work well and not bother SSC, but that could change and new staff could come in, make things difficult and shy potential license holders away.

Back