Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TFA is my 3rd fave of the entire franchise. I am going to watch it again on Tuesday along with all the others (Harmy for OT and L8WRT for the PT).

IV, I, II, V, III, VI and VII :yess:

I've still only seen it once. I have little desire to revisit it. I didn't like the direction the galactic events went after the fairy tale ending of RotJ. It made their victory hollow. Luke is a pansy and dead beat loser for running and hiding. I don't get the love for this movie. I enjoyed it when I watched it but know it would not hold up with repeat viewings with its narrative faults and the the ANH redundancy. I wish my younger self only watched the prequels once each. I'd probably hate them less.

I also would rank it fourth tied with TPM after the OT. I don't include it or the prequels in my head canon. OT and Legends EU for me.

I guess in your eyes, that makes Obi-Wan and Yoda pansies and dead beat losers as well. :rolleyes2

I've seen it twice. I thought it was a solid enough movie but I'm kind of in the same boat as K07 here

I've still only seen it once. I have little desire to revisit it. I didn't like the direction the galactic events went after the fairy tale ending of RotJ. It made their victory hollow. Luke is a pansy and dead beat loser for running and hiding.

Also, my oldest brother despised the Starkiller base concept - he thought it was a superweapon too far - for him it ruined the whole film, and I can't help but feel influenced by his views :lol

Implication might or might not have ruined crappy movie. Film at eleven.

:lol :lol

image.jpeg

I've seen it twice. I thought it was a solid enough movie but I'm kind of in the same boat as K07 here

Also, my oldest brother despised the Starkiller base concept - he thought it was a superweapon too far - for him it ruined the whole film, and I can't help but feel influenced by his views :lol

:lol

Nah, Starkiller base didn't feel too forced into the plot, noooo not at all.

I've come to accept the parallels with ANH. In fact, the first instalment of each trilogy has started with an undiscovered Force-sensitive stuck on a desert planet. Some of the nods to ANH it could have done without, however.

Also I don't like how Han and Leia's characters regressed (back to smuggler and Rebel/Resistance leader). It undid all their character development from the OT.

Also I don't like how Han and Leia's characters regressed (back to smuggler and Rebel/Resistance leader). It undid all their character development from the OT.

Leia's path doesn't seem like a regression. More like a natural progression. Her character arc in the OT wasn't especially interesting from a growth perspective. Always thought the character was at her best in ANH.

I've come to accept the parallels with ANH. In fact, the first instalment of each trilogy has started with an undiscovered Force-sensitive stuck on a desert planet. Some of the nods to ANH it could have done without, however.

The 32 years meant they skipped over the happy Solo marriage, having kids AND even skipped past the divorce...they just started with the characters now having returned to what they new best.

They're called "waste of a cameo" club. :lol Even "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." creators knew that havin' martial artists and not usin' them in a kick ass martial arts scene would be criminal. Heck, even Prequel Trilogy got it right.

For stuff like Leia I wonder how much of it was the writers dealing with the regression of the actor playing the role. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would look to have Carrie Fisher trying to wield a lightsaber? I am glad they worked out a reasonable role for her.

As far as TFA itself as a film, I have watched it so many times since I have it on bluray and my phone. I rank it alongside Jedi as my 3rd favorite SW movie. It's not perfect, but the stuff that bothers me does not diminish my love for it. I would have loved one more scene of Han, Luke and Leia together but that wasn't the story, and I love the story of finding Luke Skywalker, the discovery by our main character of the larger galaxy outside her world and the important role she may play. It is a fun film that brought back the magic and joy of Star Wars. That's where I am at after settling with the film for awhile now.

I haven't watched this one all the way through since seeing it twice at the theaters, and even then I wasn't compelled to see it twice. I've seen bits and pieces when my kids watched. But like some others here, this one hasn't struck me as a masterpiece that I need to keep watching to make sure I soak it all in. I enjoyed it, will probably revisit it again one of these days, but it also had flaws and didn't blow my mind to such an extent that I want to keep going back to it.

Though, I don't rewatch movies too much in general.

My ranking is:

Empire/Star Wars (tie)
Jedi
Force Awakens

Phantom Menace

others

On another note entirely, I was at Hollywood Studios a couple weeks ago, and was struck at how much of a focus Kylo Ren received there. The guy you meet is pretty cool. He paces around in a Kylo-like manner, with pre-recorded phrases addressed to the kids taking pictures with him, trying to convince them to join the dark side. He's also the co-star of the Jedi Training Academy, who gets force pushed through an open door at the end *spoiler*.

The new Stormtroopers also roam the park, checking the identification papers of little kids, and telling people to move along.

Star Tours was also revamped, and now has BB-8 and Finn as part of the story (or at least, some of them). This is probably old news to some here, but I didn't know about it.

Back