Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I admit to being a little sad they didn't appear to bust out the old 5-foot Falcon model for some motion control shots.

Interstellar proved you can use motion control models today and produce jaw-dropping results thanks to improvements in camera equipment, rear projection and using CG to 'paint' the gimbals, etc out of shots.

Very disappointing that Force Awakens didn't follow that lead.

Interstellar proved you can use motion control models today and produce jaw-dropping results thanks to improvements in camera equipment, rear projection and using CG to 'paint' the gimbals, etc out of shots.

I just rewatched Interstellar for the first time a month ago. I was shocked how much I enjoyed it on the small screen. I really didn't think it would work without the IMAX treatment but it did. Then just a week or so ago my 16 month took it off the DVD shelf, opened it up, and busted the Bluray disc in half. I still have the DVD but it still irks me. I immediately put Harmy's OT set up out of reach :lol

I was referring to AotC, not the animated series. I stick by my description of the Battle of Geonosis as being a cartoon.

So how many years before the TFA arc was the " Battle of Jakku "

So many videos I'm seeing is that Rey's AT-AT Walker home was a result of the Battle of Jakku. Same thing they are saying about all the wrecked destroyers and debris.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

lxLhfNl.gif

Miniatures can't get the type of movement and environment interaction that were needed for this movie. And realistically, CG is very well suited for doing spacecraft.

All this talk of using (or not) miniature models reminds me of the remastered Star Trek: The Original Series. CGI technology wasn't quite "there yet", and as a result the computer-generated starships looked less realistic than the original models!

st4.jpg

Last edited:
Miniatures can't get the type of movement and environment interaction that were needed for this movie. And realistically, CG is very well suited for doing spacecraft.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. It works for some things, but the Falcon should definitely have been a model. It has a very specific way of moving through space in the originals, that the CGI didn't capture at all.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with this. It works for some things, but the Falcon should definitely have been a model. It has a very specific way of moving through space in the originals, that the CGI didn't capture at all.

If you actually analyze the FX shots of the original trilogy you'll see huge issues. For example, the size of the stage needed to film a miniature--first shot in A New Hope they had to dolly the camera back to capture the blockade runner, but could only move it so far back, so at some point the ship stops moving forward and they just animated it by hand and you can tell the difference. Also, in the battle of Endor, there's the shot with all of the ships coming at the Falcon, except there's TIE fighters just appearing out of nowhere. Also, there's a lack of things like explosion lighting on vehicles, lack of lighting of blaster fire on other ships, lack of accurate lighting for ships moving around in general. Also for something like that, it takes a long time to do because you have to film each element separately, you hope that you match things up well.

For the chase sequence on Jakku with CGI they get accurate lighting on the Falcon that matches the environment, along with FX like dust and sparks. There's too many things that would actually be there if it were real that miniatures couldn't do. They weren't trying to match the way the miniatures move, they were trying to make it more realistic.

So after all the BS about JJ designing BB8 on a napkin, it seems McQuarrie discussed it as his original design for R2 years and years ago (ball bearing with a head on top, rolling). Makes me like BB even a little bit more.

If you actually analyze the FX shots of the original trilogy you'll see huge issues. For example, the size of the stage needed to film a miniature--first shot in A New Hope they had to dolly the camera back to capture the blockade runner, but could only move it so far back, so at some point the ship stops moving forward and they just animated it by hand and you can tell the difference. Also, in the battle of Endor, there's the shot with all of the ships coming at the Falcon, except there's TIE fighters just appearing out of nowhere. Also, there's a lack of things like explosion lighting on vehicles, lack of lighting of blaster fire on other ships, lack of accurate lighting for ships moving around in general. Also for something like that, it takes a long time to do because you have to film each element separately, you hope that you match things up well.

For the chase sequence on Jakku with CGI they get accurate lighting on the Falcon that matches the environment, along with FX like dust and sparks. There's too many things that would actually be there if it were real that miniatures couldn't do. They weren't trying to match the way the miniatures move, they were trying to make it more realistic.

yup, miniatures are fine in space where the lighting is not really environmental and dynamic (mostly single source), on a planet or in atmosphere it wouldn't be possible to do what they had in TFA with practicals. The X-wing scenes the Falcon flying amount the dust and debris in sunlight? Not a chance without spending years in post.

Why was there even a battle there?

Thanks to Wookieepedia, I can tell you exactly why.

The Rebels celebrated their victory on the Endor moon, believing the fight to be won. Nevertheless the Rebellion, now a rival galactic government known as the New Republic, would still be engaged in bloody combat against the remaining forces of the Empire in the year following the station's destruction.

The Battle of Jakku occurred one year and four days after the Battle of Endor between the forces of the New Republic and the Galactic Empire. With the rebels aiming to capture a critical sector in the galactic war and receiving intelligence of an Imperial weapons facility on the planet, the Empire readily dismissed the notion of a rebel victory and sent a large portion of its now militarily exhausted Navy to combat the rebels over control of the planet in a battle that could change the course of the war. With the Empire's command of many of the galaxy's major shipyards, Republic forces planned a bold move to capture the Imperial-class Star Destroyer Inflictor, sending Thane Kyrell and a number of former Imperials to board the ship and disable its hyperdrive and self-destruct mechanism, due to their knowledge of Star Destroyer layouts.

Run down of the battle here: Battle of Jakku - Wookieepedia - Wikia

yup, miniatures are fine in space where the lighting is not really environmental and dynamic (mostly single source), on a planet or in atmosphere it wouldn't be possible to do what they had in TFA with practicals. The X-wing scenes the Falcon flying amount the dust and debris in sunlight? Not a chance without spending years in post.

The most likely place they would have used miniatures would have been for environments for Maz's castle and Starkiller Base, but they still managed to do just fine with CGI

Back