Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, he’s not wrong - it will delight her racist detractors. :lol

**** those guys, but they will be delighted racist a-holes.

Bob_with_Rose_Colored_Glasses.jpg

7/10 for me.

I prefer the last jedi compared to this one. Everything feels a bit rushed and the transition between scenes feels out of place. The action scene was lackluster and the plot twist are kinda cliche at this point.

Last edited:
No way I want to watch this in a regular movie theater with jackasses checking their phone every 10 minutes -- as if they have something important to check on -- and people eating stinky food and over-laughing at mediocre jokes, pretending to be having a better time than they are. And the worst part is waiting for the movie to begin and having to listen to the two idiots behind me discussing Star Wars as if they are insiders.

Wow. I thought I was the only one really irritated at these fools on their phone DURING a movie. Really? You are so important you have to check your texts every five minutes? Are you a doctor? A drug dealer???

What about Zori Bliss? What does she do? Does she take her helmet off? Does her character suck? For some reason I really want to know, I think because she is the only new character design I actually liked.

Haha - same! But... my "Star Wars is Star Wars" buddies have to see it on the big screen, so I gotta go.:dunno

This will literally be the very FIRST Star Wars movie that I have NOT seen on the big screen. I think it is somehow fitting... I will always remember this.

I hate to break such a long running streak -- 42 years -- but TROS will be the "saw it on TV" one.

This will literally be the very FIRST Star Wars movie that I have NOT seen on the big screen. I think it is somehow fitting... I will always remember this.

I hate to break such a long running streak -- 40+ years -- but TROS will be the "saw it on TV" one.

You will cave...unless it dos so badly it's gone in theaters by Feb. :rotfl

I saw it last night. This is the weakest of the recent trilogy for sure. I imagine most people will really enjoy it. If you were one of those "fans" who despised The Last Jedi, then don't worry - J.J. Abrams spends two hours holding your hand through a dense, risk-free film full to the brim with too many characters and too much plot, and especially full of fan service, cowardly distancing the whole thing from anything interesting Rian Johnson touched on in the previous film. There's nothing especially surprising and challenging here, but it looks pretty.

It's action from beginning to end, not a lot of breathing room, but that's third acts for you I guess. It's a very satisfying conclusion to a nine-part epic though, and the fan service works for the most part.

It feels a little like a step backwards, but I'd happily see it again.

You will cave...unless it dos so badly it's gone in theaters by Feb. :rotfl

Nah... I still haven't seen TLJ since my initial viewing at a screening.

If Mandalorian is good enough for TV viewing only... then so is this. The majesty that is Star Wars -- requiring theatrical viewing -- left this trilogy long ago.

I saw it last night. This is the weakest of the recent trilogy for sure. I imagine most people will really enjoy it. If you were one of those "fans" who despised The Last Jedi, then don't worry - J.J. Abrams spends two hours holding your hand through a dense, risk-free film full to the brim with too many characters and too much plot, and especially full of fan service, cowardly distancing the whole thing from anything interesting Rian Johnson touched on in the previous film. There's nothing especially surprising and challenging here, but it looks pretty.

It's action from beginning to end, not a lot of breathing room, but that's third acts for you I guess. It's a very satisfying conclusion to a nine-part epic though, and the fan service works for the most part.

Good to hear another opinion- I think I'm going to like it as I've avoided spoilers but TLJ was drug through the mud so badly here I think some may say this is garbage because JJ went the other way to play it safe and "redeem" the trilogy. I liked a lot of TLJ but agree that Luke's role was not the best way to handle such an icon...

I get so tired of this kind of thinking (FYI, this reviewer utterly, obsessively adored TLJ)....

fqG5ZSh.png

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...rible-end-to-the-skywalker-saga/#31159bcb113c

In other words: too much emphasis on fan service and not enough emphasis on wokeness like the last film in order to give a double-barreled middle finger to those racist fans they’re trying to cater to.

So as I suspected a few pages back, they freaked out at the backlash of TLJ and still having no clue where to take the trilogy, simply called every living OT actor and crammed them into the film simply for fan service, and cobbled together a hodgepodge of a film in order to try and make up ground as if TLJ never existed.

At least they recognized that the agenda driven TLJ was a dud, but it was pretty much too little too late at this point in terms of telling a coherent, fluid story.

Going by the spoiler free reviews that I have seen this film seems like the ending this ST deserves.

There was no outline for the series so its all over the place. JJ came up with some ideas and mysteries that he thought he would leave for other directors to further build on but with no outline it allowed RJ to come in an undo any of those ideas and mysteries, all while not coming up with any new ideas or mysteries of his own.

So JJ had to come up with a way to make the ST somehow a cohesive story and it sounds like he tried too hard to ignore TLJ but is not a good enough filmmaker / storyteller to do it well. Personally I am not surprised.

I have always said that TFA and TLJ could be saved by a great ending... Does not sound like we are going to get it.

I have no love for the characters or story of this ST universe so far. I don't expect to start with this film.

Again if there was any sort of outline and master plan then I believe the series could have been something worthy of the SW title.

As is its not much better than made for TV sci fi shows.

But who knows.. Maybe the dislike for this film means I am going to love it. After all I never understood the positive feelings for TFA and I really did not understand the critical response to TLJ.

Maybe I will think this is the greatest SW movie since the OT.

Going by the spoiler free reviews that I have seen this film seems like the ending this ST deserves.

There was no outline for the series so its all over the place. JJ came up with some ideas and mysteries that he thought he would leave for other directors to further build on but with no outline it allowed RJ to come in an undo any of those ideas and mysteries, all while not coming up with any new ideas or mysteries of his own.

So JJ had to come up with a way to make the ST somehow a cohesive story and it sounds like he tried too hard to ignore TLJ but is not a good enough filmmaker / storyteller to do it well. Personally I am not surprised.

:exactly:

But what did RJ bring that was interesting? I mean seriously, when the film was over, what interesting ideas were there to build off of? His whole "defying expectations" was nothing more than... "You think that the ideas in the last film meant something? Well they don't"

Maybe I don't remember the film well enough but most seem to agree it is the film that moves the SW saga along the least. I guess you could say that RJ gave the ST a clean slate so that the next film maker could do whatever he wanted... Problem is.. You don't do that right before the final chapter.

I have not seen the new film and really don't care for the TFA either.

Personally I feel the whole series is devoid of interesting ideas.

I liked TFA enough. Despite being ANH rehash, I thought it had some interesting ideas, such as a stormtrooper who defected potentially being Force sensitive and the mystery surrounding Rey and her connection to the Skywalker lightsaber, but it just seemed like to me these faint ideas went stagnant in TLJ and the development of the characters regressed.

I don't know what fans expected or desired in the ST. The OT was a new take on Flash Gordon and other serials and didn't offer up daring new ideas or characters. They work because of how Lucas made it all seem fresh with technology and art direction that was new for the time. Mix that with likable actors and good old fashioned fun and we got the OT. Nostalgia for those who were growing up? You bet.
The ST is no better or worse on how we remembered the OT and trying to come up with lightning in a bottle three plus decades later...well nothing was going to work for us. Box office spoke loudly and here we have what we have...

I liked TFA enough. Despite being ANH rehash, I thought it had some interesting ideas, such as a stormtrooper who defected potentially being Force sensitive and the mystery surrounding Rey and her connection to the Skywalker lightsaber, but it just seemed like to me these faint ideas went stagnant in TLJ and the development of the characters regressed.

The Finn storyline was a great possability for the story. As is, he could have been anybody and it would not have really affected the plot at all. Especially in the next film and I assume this one.

The Skywalker Lightsaber is a joke now. No explanation ever given to why it was where it was and why it called out to Rey other than... Reasons.

Back