Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those comics where Kenner took inspiration from when they restarted the action figure line back in '95 with Power of the Force 2?

You mean the “Conan” art style inspired them to make the He-man/Thunder the Barbarian figures? Say it ain’t so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Marvel really think that these are the best two characters to put on a cover to sell the most comics, lol.

swAgeResistance-Special01.jpg

"Age of Resistance Special 1"

The LFL Story Group was there on day one to buy multiple copies.:lecture:lol

The LFL Story Group was there on day one to buy multiple copies.:lecture:lol

I think its more of the Disney attempt to lure in the young female audience.

The pastel colors, troubled faces, forlorn expression.....

If they wanted the male demographic it would have to be over done violence, T&A or Wolverine.....

Pretty clear to me that Marvel is not after nerd Star Wars fans with that one. I get the attempt to broaden the base by appealing to the female audience. And since that’s recognizable, its unoffensive and makes sense.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I think its more of the Disney attempt to lure in the young female audience.

The pastel colors, troubled faces, forlorn expression.....

If they wanted the male demographic it would have to be over done violence, T&A or Wolverine.....

Pretty clear to me that Marvel is not after nerd Star Wars fans with that one. I get the attempt to broaden the base by appealing to the female audience. And since that’s recognizable, its unoffensive and makes sense.

Now there's an idea I haven't heard before.:monkey3:lol

"Force is Female" shirts aside, I'm not sure that young female audience - and the "new generation of fans" we hear about over and over - is ever going to show up in majority numbers (the way the OT was indeed a youth-driven audience.)

RO, which seems to have been the most liked Disney SW film overall and had a female lead, had an opening weekend that was more than 2/3s male and over age 25. Even the ST movies have been solidly older and male despite a young female lead being front and center (which seems to run exactly counter to the "SW fans are misogynistic and won't accept change" narrative.)

There's still roughly 1/3 of the SW fanbase that is female and there's obviously young fans beyond the older fans dragging their kids along to the new movies (I'm guilty of that - my kids are there opening week despite them not really liking SW much) so fair enough that Disney will release stuff like this comic for that audience segment.

It's just this myth that Disney SW is for a "new generation of fans" and is female driven when it's the same older male SW fans who are the core audience.

Surprised they didn't put Rose on there, too.

They have to keep up with superhero movies, so expect more superhuman feats and powers in these movies.

The Prequels were ahead of their time.

I actually hated those old covers.....

Because the stuff represented never happened in the actual comic....

Plus Luke always looked like a HeMan reject

POTF2-Luke.jpg

I still remember my joy at seeing that in a toy shop. The pre-internet days. Amazing to think that the vintage line seemed like ancient history even then. But 10 years is an awful long time to a 13 year old. Now POTF2 is almost 25. :thud:

And the Leia figure from that series looked like Eddie Munster, according to Carrier Fisher:

leiapotf1.jpg

Almost every vintage SW comic showed iconic characters desperately trying to get out of life or death jams but today we get two of the most hated characters in the Saga looking like they're simply waiting for the light to change so they can cross the street and order their lattes, lol.

Soy lattes, to boot.

Relax, the Finn one will be much better... won't it?

View attachment 450658

Memba they casted lupita as that ugly orange butthole eyed creature and acted like it was such a huge deal?

Should have known she was going to be in prosthetics or cgi. She's too attractive, she'd make Daisy look bad.

Imagine my disappointment when these scenes weren't in the comic:

d44ae114198ee50b45ac3c3d29e083f6.jpg

Star%2BWars%2B%25236D%2B1977%2B%2Bby%2BRick%2BHoberg%2Band%2BTom%2BPalmer.jpg

Especially since it was Poe, not Finn, who seemed to think of contacting her first.

I guess it underlined Poe being the "new Han". :dunno

Then they gave her a token scene in TLJ that made little sense.

Ah yes - the witch's crystal ball scene where they view Spaz in... battle or something. A gem scene among so many.:lol

That is one badass looking Vader.

It's the doggie-door codpiece isn't it?:lol

Plus Luke always looked like a HeMan reject

You expected more for your THIRTY-FIVE CENTS?:lol

That upcoming Holdo special comic will cost you 12 times that but I'm sure it will deliver on the promise of its cover.:lecture:monkey3

Imagine my disappointment when these scenes weren't in the comic:

d44ae114198ee50b45ac3c3d29e083f6.jpg

Star%2BWars%2B%25236D%2B1977%2B%2Bby%2BRick%2BHoberg%2Band%2BTom%2BPalmer.jpg

I guess it underlined Poe being the "new Han". :dunno

So laughable....Luke Skywalker strikes back!

Look at Leia cowering in the corner.

BTW I agree that KK biggest failing is assuming age could deliver the numbers of female fans. They are just not really there. And to boot , female fans will never be the money spenders on SW that the males will. Mostly because most ladies have actual lives to live, and the nerdy SW males do not.

;)

I find it so interesting how literal we all are today. Kenner Luke was 110% Luke to me back then, as much as a HT figure of Luke today, yet the Kenner fi was rough approximation of him at best. Look at Kenner R2's details, or the way they did Greedo - talk about artistic license.

These covers were tabloid style (there were a TON of comics to stand out from in those days) but they show heightened abstractions of what happened, like what you see in a lot of foreign SW OT posters. Had the rebels not launched when they did from Yavin in ANH, that "It's too late" cover would have happened. Luke and Vader do kind of face off against a backdrop of space and TIEs and X-wings battling at the end of ANH.

I'm 100% behind accuracy (and truth in advertising) but these covers never left me feeling ripped off - this is the way all comics were in that era.:dunno These things - like Kenner figs - had an element of engaging the imagination that you really don't see today at all.

So laughable....Luke Skywalker strikes back!

Look at Leia cowering in the corner.

BTW I agree that KK biggest failing is assuming age could deliver the numbers of female fans. They are just not really there. And to boot , female fans will never be the money spenders on SW that the males will. Mostly because most ladies have actual lives to live, and the nerdy SW males do not.

;)

Well... to be fair, he does blow up the Death Star in that issue. That's kinda striking back I'd say.:lol

And yeah, I do have quite the swag of dollies but my wife's shoe and handbag collection is nothing to understate.

And wow - this casual, default bashing of SW "nerds" and fans is really weird. They were fun and cool... until TLJ... then suddenly they hate diversity, women, change, young people, progressive ideas, need to get a life, to die etc etc. but most of all they hate SW.:slap

Time will prove all of that as conveniently distracting garbage.

I find it so interesting how literal we all are today. Kenner Luke was 110% Luke to me back then, as much as a HT figure of Luke today, yet the Kenner fi was rough approximation of him at best. Look at Kenner R2's details, or the way they did Greedo - talk about artistic license.

These covers were tabloid style (there were a TON of comics to stand out from in those days) but they show heightened abstractions of what happened, like what you see in a lot of foreign SW OT posters. Had the rebels not launched when they did from Yavin in ANH, that "It's too late" cover would have happened. Luke and Vader do kind of face off against a backdrop of space and TIEs and X-wings battling at the end of ANH.

I'm 100% behind accuracy (and truth in advertising) but these covers never left me feeling ripped off - this is the way all comics were in that era.:dunno These things - like Kenner figs - had an element of engaging the imagination that you really don't see today at all.

I'll never lose my appreciation for those abstract vintage aesthetics in both toys and art.

I only felt ripped off because I was nine!

Another feature of the era was the "disembodied heads" cover. (Love how angry Jaxxon is at Valance the Hunter :lol)

latest

latest

Back