Star Wars: Episode IX - THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with having Luke be like that per se. And Cap and Superman are good examples of characters like that that really work. And for that reason you're absolutely right I'd be very annoyed if any story had Cap raising his shield over his own nephew, John Walker style, and then changing his mind. That would be totally wrong for the character IMO and I have similar feelings about the infamous MOS neck snap.

If that's who Luke is to you, and if 50 or however many Grand Master Luke EU books really cemented that version of the character as your picture of him then I totally get why ST Luke would be absolutely unacceptable to you. I really do. The aspirational paragon of virtue is definitely a valid archetype. I personally just don't think that it really fits with the ups and downs we saw the character go through in the OT nor the overall bittersweet tone of the inter-family melodrama that is Star Wars. To me this is a world of conflicted, haunted, sometimes even reluctant heroes closer to Aragorn or Frodo than Cap or Supes.

Aragorn was what 87 years old, level 100, had killed however many hundreds of foes and STILL didn't trust his own strength of character to resist pure evil. Frodo took Sting, the very blade that lightsabers are based on, and held it above the throat of his best and most loyal friend before coming to his senses. I just don't have any problem whatsoever with Luke being in that same vein, in fact it's one of the most fitting scenarios I could imagine for him to endure when you look at the tone and structure of SW and what they were all inspired by.

Not just Tolkien but Kurosawa. Toshiro Mifune’s General Makabe in The Hidden Fortress was an unkempt, disheveled bully for a good part of the film and is revealed to be a legendary swordsman and general and I see shades of TLJ Luke in that too. None of this is to say that a preference for one specific archetype is any more or less valid than another but it does surprise me to see the level of vitriol for a take as valid as the one that played out and the level of immaturity (not by you) from those who seek to invalidate and gaslight those they disagree with.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and yes in case you weren't around for prior discussions on Dark Empire I have always been a really big fan of those two miniseries, mostly for the mood, art, and edginess of them flirting with the possibility of Luke going bad so to see elements of that in TLJ and TROS was really cool for me.
Just wanted to repost this fantastic post and let Khev, jye, ajp and the few others that there are still fans of the ST out there even if we're not posting here. I appreciate all the well thought out posts you guys are writing. (y)

I love Mark but his take on what Luke should do in the movies has never been gospel. His suggestions have gotten vetoed ever since ROTJ. Make note of 14:50 and 15:27.

[video]

Hell none of the actors ended up having their characters do what they wanted them to do in Jedi, lol. Imagine calling Han "Jake Solo" because his character didn't die like Harrison Ford wanted.

The Special Editions are what they are but damn if that wasn't a little piece of nostalgia there for 1997.

Star Wars still had that magical feel to me back then.

The Special Editions are what they are but damn if that wasn't a little piece of nostalgia there for 1997.

Star Wars still had that magical feel to me back then.

I know right, now imagine that Harrison, Carrie, and Mark in those clips appearing in an alternate ST that came out in place of the PT. Not that they would have been any better than the PT or ST that we got but it still would have been sweet to see all three of them again not too past their prime.

Test

Just want to see if I need the mod approval again

YAY I did not whew glad that is over with.

I like it that it says well known member under our names lol

i’m liking this new format very easy to use.

So it’s no longer called Sideshow Freaks we are Collector Freaks now!

We are Collector Freaks now lol

Last edited:
We can like posts, that's good. Means if you don't have time to respond you can at least acknowledge someone's post. Rep used to serve a similar purpose except there was that ''you must spread reputation around more'' limitation.

So it’s no longer called Sideshow Freaks we are Collector Freaks now!

We are Collector Freaks now lol

It's been Collector Freaks for a few years. You never noticed? lol

It was back when there was the trouble with Sideshow over unlicensed figure threads. The Custom One-Sixth forum was created, and this place dropped the Sideshow name.

But I still think of it as Sideshow Freaks regardless.

It's been Collector Freaks for a few years. You never noticed? lol

It was back when there was the trouble with Sideshow over unlicensed figure threads. The Custom One-Sixth forum was created, and this place dropped the Sideshow name.

But I still think of it as Sideshow Freaks regardless.
Yeah holy crap I never noticed I guess I had it saved as Sideshow Freaks all this time lol

It was still Sideshow Freaks when I joined so I still think of it as such.

Hmmm... will have to get used to this new format... so far I don't think I like it very much.

Oh, and did I loose my sig?
You can readd it from the settings now.

Back