Star Wars Anniversary DVD Delay?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultimate Weapon

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyone read this rumormill story over at www.thedigitalbits.com?

2/23/07

Well... we've got some new info that may crash your Astro droid's OS. And no, we aren't out punking Padawans with this.

You know that mega-bombad 9-disc Ultimate Star Wars Saga box set that's been in the works for a few years now? The one that was expected to be released later this year to celebrate the 30th Anniversary? Yeah... maybe not so much anymore. We've been hearing from multiple sources now that the folks up at Lucasburg were surprised enough at the lackluster sales of last year's Star Wars Trilogy DVD re-run ("Now with Han shoots first!") that they're afraid they might have gone to the Sarlacc Pit one too many times, so to speak. There's talk apparently that the box set could get delayed a year or two to amp up demand for the films on disc again. Don't know how serious this all is, but that's the word that's blowing in the wind.

I just don't get Team Lucas anymore. They release the same DVDs we all already own last year and try to pull the "Hey, we're doing you all a favor by giving you the special non-anamorphic, zero-effort original versions as a bonus item!" and then they're actually flummoxed when they don't sell. What the REST of us know, is that they didn't sell because they were crap, and because everyone is waiting for the damn box set.

Interestingly, New York Comic Con kicks off today, but it doesn't look like the Steve Sansweet dog and pony show is going to be there, or I'd say that people should raise the box set question with him. Hey... Stephen Colbert's going to be there in a couple hours though (3PM Eastern), so somebody ask him if we're ever going to get a Tek Jansen DVD.

Anyway, WonderCon happens in a couple weeks up in San Francisco, but I don't see that Sansweet will be there either. Probably the first place we'll get the real skinny straight from the minions will be at Star Wars Celebration IV here in L.A. in May. We'll see.

Ugh. I hate being the guy who has to bring you frustrating Star Wars DVD news, but it seems like it happens EVERY damn year. Please don't Force choke the messenger. I'm feeling a bit like Captain Needa these days...

Of course you know, many Bothans died to bring you this information.

The story can be found here, but it's the same as above:

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html#022307

I hope this doesn't actually happen, but their industry sources usually supply pretty good information. Lucas should have waited and released the original versions as a part of this set. I was looking forward to this anniversary set. Guess I might have to wait a little longer ...

Yeah, The Digital Bits are pretty reliable with their info. I'm in no hurry to buy the DVDs again anyways.

I skipped the "han shoots first" editions only because I had just bought the OT box set and I figured the "ultimate" box set coming out this year would include the original release, as I'm sure many people did. Now I am sad I may have to wait, but if the end-product is "ultimate" I'll be happy. HD anyone?

Doesn't matter to me... I wasn't going to buy them anyway. George has gotten enough of my money for the movies.

I think that's false. It doesn't make sense at all and since they've just got rumors then it's not really true anyway. We haven't seen the main stuff from other companies yet so I'd think we might not see anything about this until C4 also.

No way in hell Lucas passes up a chance to announce the release of these DVDs at Celebration IV for the 30th Anniversary(especially with inevitable the tie-in to The Force Unleashed video game this November). Besides, in two years a release on Blu-Ray will probably be expected so this is his last good chance to sell it on standard def DVD. I fully expect the big 30th Anniversary saga box set to be announced in May and released in November.

Also, while The Digital Bits is pretty reliable they have gotten a lot of stuff wrong over the years so I would hardly take this report as gospel.

unless they have a lot of new scenes, reworked scenes, or a lot of behind the scenes stuff we've never seen, what's the appeal of a box set?

darthviper107 said:
I think that's false. It doesn't make sense at all and since they've just got rumors then it's not really true anyway. We haven't seen the main stuff from other companies yet so I'd think we might not see anything about this until C4 also.

There is no more reputable DVD news site than thedigitalbits.com.

That doesn't mean the set will be delayed, just that they have great sources and their sources are saying it might be delayed.

The didn't release anything special for the 25th anniversary. The OT SE's came out in 2004 to help build hype for ROTS. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ultimate set comes out a little closer to one of the TV shows.

I would be somewhat surprised if Lucasfilm passed on the chance to release a 30th Anniversary Ultimate set as well, but I am curious about how the recent limited original release from last year met/dissappointed expected results. Remember these discs were only supposed to be available until December 31st. Obviously with their prevalence on retail shelves and online stores, they're still around past their deadline.

This Ultimate set is rumored to have additional changes as well. Among the most documented (and practically confirmed) is the complete replacement of puppet Yoda in Episode I with the CGI Yoda from Episodes II and III. Other changes had simply been rumored.

At this point I hope an ultimate set would truly be ultimate with all the OT deletions and behind the scenes stuff. It must be out there. Even the guy who put together "Building an Empire" and "Return to Jedi" was able to track down a lot of rare footage. That would really make it worth it. With all the extras other DVD's pack in (Superman Ultimate Collection, Aliens Quadrilogy, LOTR Exetnded, etc.) Star Wars looks a bit lackluster by comparison (at least where the OT is concerned).

I would expect it will be a good few years before Star Wars makes it to HD/Blu-Ray. The format war isn't even over yet (though the signs are starting to appear) and it took Lucasfilm almost five years after DVD became a household item for them to release the originally trilogy. The Phantom Menace wasn't even released on DVD when it first hit home video and that was during the DVD explosion. I think it took about a year before it made it to DVD. I know HD is a different bag, but I'm just saying we've got a few good years before it shows.

Last edited:
I have HD versions of 5 of the films saved on my DVR (will get ROTJ the next time they air it), and I have the DVD's w/ the original version from last year.

I won't be buying anymore Star Wars sets until it comes out on Blu-Ray.

I can only say that Lucas conned me out of $60 (approx. retail price here in Europe) for the last installment of the OT with the original OT bonus. Won't happen again.

I don't feel like it was a Con. I never bought the 1str DVD because I wanted the last one that hit. The first set was ONLY SE, I said screw that and waited. My patience paid off!

elwood49 said:
I have HD versions of 5 of the films saved on my DVR (will get ROTJ the next time they air it), and I have the DVD's w/ the original version from last year.

Thankfully I've been able to capture the 5 that have aired so far as well and I'll have ROTJ the first week in March. Gotta love those HD DVRs. :cool:

PosterBoyKelly said:
I don't feel like it was a Con. I never bought the 1str DVD because I wanted the last one that hit. The first set was ONLY SE, I said screw that and waited. My patience paid off!
Yes, but at the time when Lucas gave us the SE (remember: the OT for the first time on DVD bla bla bla...), it was said that he would NEVER release the original theatrical (untouched) versions of the three movies. And what did he do some time later??? So, to me it feels like a con.

Well said, Ultimate Weapon...

My additional two cents...

I was surprised at last year's repackaging of the OT, when a) it hasn't been that long since they came out the first time b) they had a "movies only" set the year before and...c) despite the inclusion of the "original" OT, the large block of negative publicity with how that was handled (dumped on the disc as "special features", transferred from laserdisc with no clean-up etc) screamed "cheap" and left a bad taste in alot of videophiles & SW fans' minds...

Also, alot of those box sets of late like Alien, POTA and Superman to mention a few, simply gather together all of the previously released material with no changes, wrap it up in a pretty package and dump it on the market...or....the rush it out and end up having to eat a little crow because QC didn't catch major blunders like omitted content or tracks (Superman)....

Those of us who have been following and collecting with the Star Wars juggernaut for years know that there is alot of additional material out there to be mined for possible inclusion as special features in a new set. Everything from omitted webdocs from the prequel releases to OT material the ended up on CD-ROMS to other documentaries (like "The Journey") that already exist are great candidates for inclusion.

And my "dream" special feature would be DVD-ROM galleries dedicated to each film allowing us to click our way through production art and paintings, many we may have seen a zillion times, and others that have laid buried in the Lucasfilm archives... (a similar approach to what companies like "Viz" do with their anime' properties would be cool)...as well as a look back on how "Star Wars" has affected popular culture, from political cartoons to pop-culture references and more...

Other possible features could be special looks/documentaries at fandom, collecting, merchandise, fan-made films, conventions....

And of course, it's a given that Lucas himself will want to tinker with the films yet again....

My point here is....the "ultimate" Star Wars box set should be more than just dumping all of the previously available material onto a set with pretty new packaging...I would rather see Lucasfilm NOT be a slave to an anniversary or other calender date, but instead, dedicate a team to put together a truly "ultimate" box set experience...new transfers that address shortcomings of the previous releases, new features, new documentaries, and features that until now, have never been included with a Star Wars set before.

Getting all of that (or even anything close to it) will take time and real dedication from Lucasfilm to creating something other than a simple product that fits a release cycle....

Do we really HAVE TO have a DVD release to "celebrate" the 30th anniversary? If it's what's been hitting the shelves for the last few years, my vote is "no"...

Personally...I'd be happy not to purchase any "Star Wars" movie-related DVD's ever again...unless it was something like what I'd suggested above....

Back